• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am running stock Placid and Placid BP with two of each running a dual mono set up with Trident upgrades on the BII Legato 2 without buffer and three Ventus ( only driving high impedance amplifier unbalanced.) I can touch the fins indefinitely,but can not hold the flat part of the heat sink that the device is connected to for more than a second. The current setting pots needed to be adjusted several times (shunting 60 ma) as things heated up but now seem stable continuously on.

Not having an infra red temp meter is the casual test to grab the fins or the flat section?

I know I am at the edge and plan to upgrade to HD versions, but notice that the heat sinks are the same size. I have some much larger heat sinks but the footprint of the HD-BP will not accommodate them.

Hello,
I received a sidecar module today.
Where can I find schematic of sidecar?
or explanation for relay power supply
I'm just confused how to treat B ( on VD/B/GND side).

"B" is connected to the base of the trigger transistor.

You can connect the supply to ~5V the relays are active when you pull up "B" via a switch on any other mechanism.

I will post the schematic later today. There is not much to it. :)

The integration guide explains the use of sidecar.

Through holes labeled as "Thanks Brian!"

Many people might have read the message "Thanks Brian!" on the back side of BIII board. Near the printing, there are three through-holes.
Today, I could well realize the purpose of the holes.
I much appreciated Russ' well-considered pattern design that meets various requirements by users.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Many people might have read the message "Thanks Brian!" on the back side of BIII board. Near the printing, there are three through-holes.
Today, I could well realize the purpose of the holes.
I much appreciated Russ' well-considered pattern design that meets various requirements by users.

Attachments

• IMAG0463b.jpg
    IMAG0463b.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 502
  • IMAG0465b.jpg
    IMAG0465b.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 418
Last edited by a moderator:
What is better to power BIII 1/2 of LCDPS V.2.0 or Placid HD V.1.0?

Both have advantages.

The advantage of the LCDPS is simplicity, ease of use, and lower total current draw.

The advantage of Placid HD is lower noise and both better line and load regulation.

The nice thing about Placid HD is that it gives you the best basis to start. every bit of noise reduction you can add prior to the tridents does help. Also the shunt reg is better at isolating regulators from each other.

Assuming you had both lying around would you recommend the IVY-III over the Legato for use with a Sympatico amp? I noticed in the integration guide that it mentions the IVY-III measures better.

Both work marvelously. I would personally (and do personally) use both. :)

The IVY-III does measure better, and is much easier to build and to adjust output levels etc. So the average builder can't go wrong with IVY-III. It sounds awesome.

Legato sounds excellent and only measures very slightly worse than IVY-III (only dynamic range is worse - THD is almost identical) but is not necessarily the best choice for beginners. It not as simple to build or adjust.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.