• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Russ, good to hear. I did remember reading somewhere that higher than 80Mhz would not give to better results. Glad you repeated it here. At this point in time, the 100MHz "sidegrade" is not even practical. There is hardly anything at that high sample rate.
My "pristine" BII-80Mhz will become a collector's item :)

If you will have the opportunity to hear your self the same music files/SACDs/CDs using different clock frequencies (in this case 80, 100, 125 Mhz), for the same samplings frequencies, in the same system based on the same ESS9018, then will be more reserved to come with these affirmations....
This case is not only about to read somewhere about something... It is to have the own experience about...

Joined 2009
Paid Member
As far as I understood from your previous post(s), you don't even have a Buffalo yet, so your comments on "experience" is objectively quite out of place.....

You know? In the last time is not only Buffalo the only DAC which is based on ESS9018...
I still have that trust (based on all the information I can have at this time) that Buffalo is one of the best DAC designed. That because I bought it. But this do not mean exactly/necessarily that Buffalo could (at the present) take it out the most of this exceptional ESS9018 chip...
So... Yes, it is fully possible that one can to day objectively experience something about ESS9018 even not using/hearing yet the Buffalo DAC...
If one can even perceptual register a positive result in modifying/using accordingly a not so well designed DAC system, then in a better designed system the result of the same modifications can easily be even more positive...

If you will have the opportunity to hear your self the same music files/SACDs/CDs using different clock frequencies (in this case 80, 100, 125 Mhz), for the same samplings frequencies, in the same system based on the same ESS9018, then will be more reserved to come with these affirmations....
This case is not only about to read somewhere about something... It is to have the own experience about...

I do not doubt your experience. Unfortunately my hearing is not so discerning. Some of us need an excuse NOT to upgrade :)

Russ or Brian, question about the Placid HD: I'm using one to power the BIII (which I am told draws 350mA) but I am also planning to use it to power the S/PDIF Input Module (~30mA), the exaU2I (~20mA), a HiFiDuino control (~150mA?), and lastly, a 2/8 switch that I am making (~340mA when switching).

In total, the Placid HD will need to be able to output ~890mA... is it possible? Any suggestions on how to power everything? I am assuming that a 1.6VA transformer is adequate?

Last edited:
Good news folks.

I am testing AC2 with firmware designed for Buffalo III with the parts we will be stocking for the kit.

In my testing I found one small layout change I will make (already done) and as soon as those revised boards get here we should be able to offer it to you folks.

Highlights:

- Standard 4-bit parallel interface for displays
- 3 SPI inputs/outputs for displays or other hardware
- Super fast infinite write cycle FRAM for saving state, which is far faster and easier to use as well as more reliable than flash.
- Rotary encoder support with push button. Supports both optical and mechanical types.
- IR(RC5) remote support.
- 3.3V Level shifting for I2C for application that might require it.
- On board power supply with rectifier so you can supply either AC or DC voltage.
- Easy programming with the Femto USB programmable controller module.

The Femto controller module is removable from the AC2 for simple programming via USB.

I will create a GitHub account for AC2 code. People can use that code as-is or contribute code enhancements. There will also be a wiki for documentation.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Takij, you need to post things like this on our support forum please. But to quickly answer your question. You will want large heatsinks for that. And you will need to double check if you can adjust to that current (I have not tried yet). If you can't I can explain to you how to get there. I would use a 9V 30-50VA transformer.

Thanks Russ, noted. I will use the support forum in the future. Thank you for the info!

Good news folks.

I am testing AC2 with firmware designed for Buffalo III with the parts we will be stocking for the kit.

In my testing I found one small layout change I will make (already done) and as soon as those revised boards get here we should be able to offer it to you folks.

Highlights:

- Standard 4-bit parallel interface for displays
- 3 SPI inputs/outputs for displays or other hardware
- Super fast infinite write cycle FRAM for saving state, which is far faster and easier to use as well as more reliable than flash.
- Rotary encoder support with push button. Supports both optical and mechanical types.
- IR(RC5) remote support.
- 3.3V Level shifting for I2C for application that might require it.
- On board power supply with rectifier so you can supply either AC or DC voltage.
- Easy programming with the Femto USB programmable controller module.

The Femto controller module is removable from the AC2 for simple programming via USB.

I will create a GitHub account for AC2 code. People can use that code as-is or contribute code enhancements. There will also be a wiki for documentation.

Cheers!
Russ

So the Buffalo II is just for garbage before I have completed it ! :mad:

For anyone who is looking for the ES9018 DAC datasheet to do some tweaking with their BIIIs:

I spoke with Bryan at Shaw Electronics (shawelectronics.com), the US distributor for the chip... he said that 6 months ago the ES9018 datasheet was taken off the non-disclosure agreement list, so now you just have to request it and he will send it to you.

So, if you want the ES9018 DAC datasheet, kindly email Bryan at "bryan at shawelectronics dot com" and ask! :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
For anyone who is looking for the ES9018 DAC datasheet to do some tweaking with their BIIIs:

I spoke with Bryan at Shaw Electronics (shawelectronics.com), the US distributor for the chip... he said that 6 months ago the ES9018 datasheet was taken off the non-disclosure agreement list, so now you just have to request it and he will send it to you.

So, if you want the ES9018 DAC datasheet, kindly email Bryan at "bryan at shawelectronics dot com" and ask! :)

Many, many thanks for this important information. I hope will work...

I'm sure the AC2 will be able to control the BII as well. I expect BII firmware will be next.

Exciting news indeed. The AC2 has acquired almost legendary status. It's the "Duke Nukem Forever" of the DIY audio world (but more likely to live up to expectations).

In TP we trust. :)

It is interesting and kind of funny. I have been using AC1 and AC2 for quite a while now, it has not really been the design that has been the hold up. It really has been a logistical issue of finding good available kit components etc and having time to test the whole thing as a practical package.

I do regret the delay in getting it out to you guys, but hey better late than never. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.