• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice...

One thing to note, is that this is a pretty significant board design. I spent a lot of time on it, and Brian and I bounced around ideas for the past year so. I probably laid it out a dozen times before settling on this design. The time involved was definitely worth it.

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest the above is hinting at sonic improvements as the result of an even better board layout (not that the B-II was that compromised in this regard).

I am going to go out on a limb and suggest the above is hinting at sonic improvements as the result of an even better board layout (not that the B-II was that compromised in this regard).

Well lets just say I am not at all disappointed.

What I am extremely pleased about is the ability to do absolutely anything your like with the chip. Buffalo II is an excellent DAC, but the major design priority was to be easy to use. Buffalo III is not hard to use, but it is not exactly as simple. Still it is not going to present an insurmountable challenge to anyone.

For instance, Buffalo II has a built in comparator for SPDIF input. This is very handy, but you can only use one SPDIF source connected to that input.

Buffalo III has no compactor at all. Instead it just makes each digital input available to the user with a nice header. That header can be connected directly or with a ribbon cable to any sort of input module (or modules) you like. One of our first input modules will be a 4 input SPDIF module that has a quad 7ns comparator and galvanic isolation. It will make use of the on-board MUX capability of the ESS DAC. That really would not have been possible with the Buffalo II scheme which was driven by a different set of practical priorities.

Of you course you can also choose to use any TTL SPDIF, I2S(or other supported PCM format) or DSD source without any fuss.

One other very cool feature of B-III are the jumpers which are located on the bottom on the board. They are used to connect digital or analog nets togther. Want a Stereo DAC? Ok no problem. Mono? OK :) 4 - channel? easy! Even 6, 1, and for the totally crazy - 1 channel with each output in exactly the same phase. All of those are possible.

So let the fun begin! Well soon anyway... :)

Last edited:
Yeah, sure - go ahead and reveal this the day after I take delivery of a no doubt inferior multi-channel output solution.

The need for 8 channels of output stage is a non-trivial consideration, but considering that I have an M-Audio delta 1010 that has 4 pairs of I2S signals on a DB25 port, this is rather intriguing.

All those outputs do make me wonder how to connect it all if one would like an 8 channel setup. At least 4 I/V stages would be needed, that's a lot of distance to cover. Also, those I/O ports almost seem to be begging for an external controller. This promises to be quite a complex setup when fully tricked out, although in a default setup I think it'll be almost as easy to use as the BII.
I like the way the full functionality of the ESS chip is unlocked, and the modularity of the power supply section.

8 channels is a lot of kit, but it would not be terribly hard to do at all.

You could stack 2 IVY-III (or Legato if you want) on either side of the DAC, so 4 total. You would install terminal blocks on the IVYs each with the wires pointing inward toward the DAC. Use pin headers and .1" connectors (or simply solder the wires on the DAC side, your choice) and wire up the IVYs. I would personally directly solder these wires to the DAC to get the best possible connection.

I would probably choose IVY because they use a lot less current. So you would likely only really need one Placid BP_HD or LCBPS.

The IVYs also have an advantage for this setup in that they don't make much heat and will work a bit better when configured for the current to voltage ratio that will be needed with only 1/4 the normal current. :)

Last edited:
Are all the other items (IO_EXT, input block, I2C) 0.1" pitch too? How many pins is the input block actually?
Given the amount of connections on the new module, I'll include connector information in the new guide, fi. partnumbers for Molex Grid connectors. So I'm making lists of possible connectors. Hardwiring everything might get a bit messy, esp. with the 24-pin port.

Note: The questions on 8-channel were just for the new guide, not for me personally... I only use 2 speakers, so I'll stick to dual mono.

Are all the other items (IO_EXT, input block, I2C) 0.1" pitch too? How many pins is the input block actually?
Given the amount of connections on the new module, I'll include connector information in the new guide, fi. partnumbers for Molex Grid connectors. So I'm making lists of possible connectors. Hardwiring everything might get a bit messy, esp. with the 24-pin port.

Note: The questions on 8-channel were just for the new guide, not for me personally... I only use 2 speakers, so I'll stick to dual mono.

Oh its much more simple than that. Those .1" headers for digital inputs and interface are designed for IDC connectors and ribbon cable. there will be daughter boards for various applications. You could also simply use some ribbon and an IDC connector at the header and then just separate the ribbon as you need to as well.

I2C header is same 4 pin .1" as Buff II.

Wiring should be nice and tidy. :)

Last edited:
Its a little hard to explain at the moment but it will make more sense later.
Don't worry, it makes perfect sense already. I just don't know the pin lay-out yet, and using a full header with grip connectors on the positions you need usually is easier than getting multiple IDC connectors to fit. Your method of splitting a flatcable makes perfect sense if you already know what is needed and what goes where.

Don't worry, it makes perfect sense already. I just don't know the pin lay-out yet, and using a full header with grip connectors on the positions you need usually is easier than getting multiple IDC connectors to fit. Your method of splitting a flatcable makes perfect sense if you already know what is needed and what goes where.

That is the part I am saying will make more sense later. Because honestly some of that is app specific. :)

At least what's a difference (pros and cons) between Sabre Reference 8-Channel Evaluation Board?

Reply will be appreciated!

A few off the top of my head. :)

1) The ability to use whatever output stage you like. Even to mix and match.
2) An optimized 4 layer layout with excellent bypassing around the chip.
3) on-board configuration and volume control.
4) Flexible power supply options including optimal routing for the most critical AVCC supplies.

Really though, all you need to do is ask someone who owns a Buffalo II. :cool:

A few off the top of my head. :)

1) The ability to use whatever output stage you like. Even to mix and match.
2) An optimized 4 layer layout with excellent bypassing around the chip.
3) on-board configuration and volume control.
4) Flexible power supply options including optimal routing for the most critical AVCC supplies.

Really though, all you need to do is ask someone who owns a Buffalo II. :cool:

Very curious to know performance specs for every mode and output stage.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with BII and this is almost completely different beast I believe :)
Any approximate price for the kit setup?

Very curious to know performance specs for every mode and output stage.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with BII and this is almost completely different beast I believe :)
Any approximate price for the kit setup?

Final performance will be completely up to you, and up to you to measure. :) this is DIY not a finished product. There are so many different variables for you to tweak and adjust that no two random setups are going to perform exactly the same.

Stereo/mono analog performance wise there really should be little if any difference from BII to BIII.

I would recommend getting familiar with the BII. :) Ask around.

At the moment BIII is still a prototype. We have not finalized anything in regard to pricing or options yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.