• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally finished my dual mono BIII. Waiting for my GB Amanero USB/I2S module, and I have to finish wiring the remaining inputs.The USB input is just stuck in there as a filler. The blue LCD will eventually be replaced by a green one. Enclosure is a Hi-Fi 2000 Pesante 3U. Machining/engraving done by Hi-Fi 2000/Modushop. I did the color fill using Testors enamel.

Attachments

• pesante_0.jpg
    pesante_0.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 446
  • pesante_13.jpg
    pesante_13.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 432
  • pesante_14.jpg
    pesante_14.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 442
  • pesante_12.jpg
    pesante_12.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 425
  • pesante_15.jpg
    pesante_15.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 416
I finally finished my dual mono BIII. Waiting for my GB Amanero USB/I2S module, and I have to finish wiring the remaining inputs.The USB input is just stuck in there as a filler. The blue LCD will eventually be replaced by a green one. Enclosure is a Hi-Fi 2000 Pesante 3U. Machining/engraving done by Hi-Fi 2000/Modushop. I did the color fill using Testors enamel.

Nice. Did you mean 32bit/384 kHz on the front panel?

Best,

Anand.

The "bit" part was not my concern. My concern was the part after that.

384 Hz

vs.

384 kHz

:D

Anand.

I'll have to go back and look at the plan........:eek: OK, I can tell you how it happened, but it still ends with it being my fault. I had the wrong front panel size at first, started over and screwed up. I been lost in the woods and didn't notice....

Last edited:
I'll have to go back and look at the plan........:eek: OK, I can tell you how it happened, but it still ends with it being my fault. I had the wrong front panel size at first, started over and screwed up. I been lost in the woods and didn't notice....

It looks great, I had a similar thing happen recently, too deep in the forest to see the trees:D

Nobody else has a 384Hz model

That is a nice looking build. Can you give a little information about the display. I would like to have some for the next one I do for myself. I would love to be able to use a VFD for the display. I just like the look.

Can anyone suggest some good caps to use as AC coupling caps. Russ suggested 4.7uf-10uf as a size. I just need to know what anyone might be using that sounds good. Prices for such animals can be ridiculous.

That is a nice looking build. Can you give a little information about the display. I would like to have some for the next one I do for myself. I would love to be able to use a VFD for the display. I just like the look.

Can anyone suggest some good caps to use as AC coupling caps. Russ suggested 4.7uf-10uf as a size. I just need to know what anyone might be using that sounds good. Prices for such animals can be ridiculous.

As DC blocking at the balanced output or for what purpose. As dc blocking at the output of Legato Balanced I recommend Silmic II . To get better sound you have to buy very exspensive and very big caps like DCA cast .

As DC blocking at the balanced output or for what purpose. As dc blocking at the output of Legato Balanced I recommend Silmic II . To get better sound you have to buy very exspensive and very big caps like DCA cast .

DC blocking at the outputs are what is needed. I know that these can get really expensive. How do different values affect the sound? It sounds great as is but I nor the owner want to change the sound unless it is better. I thought of buying a few of the less expensive ones to try out. Just to see the kind of difference it makes.

DC blocking at the outputs are what is needed. I know that these can get really expensive. How do different values affect the sound? It sounds great as is but I nor the owner want to change the sound unless it is better. I thought of buying a few of the less expensive ones to try out. Just to see the kind of difference it makes.

Buy 47 uf 50 V Then they will be ok for even very low impedances. My dac use 47 uf. and can be stated as world class according to a friend.

The LCD is an 20x4 white on blue display with a Hitachi HD44780 LCD controller. He uses it with 'LCD ExtraIO' from electroFUN. This is basically an port extender allowing one to control the LCD using the "two-wire interface" (I2C). The controller is an Arduino Uno.

Thanks for the kind words. I was just getting to enclosure choices when I decided to add the Arduino/LCD display. I was overwhelmed by it all and followed HiFiduino's recommendations for the HD44780 protocol displays.

INTRO H i F i D U I N O

Some folks, like DQ828, Corpius, gwiske, and bigpanda that can do code used different type displays. IIRC VFD displays will require external power due to the high mA requirements.

I had this big rats nest of wires on a breadboard with my Arduino/LCD until Corpius put me on to the electroFun LTD I2C LCDextra IO board. That reduced number of wires to run LCD. You do have to replace the Arduino LCD library with electroFUN's for it to work and add some lines to the code. Not sure if that works with VFD displays, but anyone that goes the LCD route should look into it. Not very expensive, like $9 US.

In regards to coupling caps, I saved some suggestions folks have offered in other threads. Mundorf ZN, Mundorf Supreme, Sonicaps. But I don't know caps like most of the folks here do.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. I was just getting to enclosure choices when I decided to add the Arduino/LCD display. I was overwhelmed by it all and followed HiFiduino's recommendations for the HD44780 protocol displays.

INTRO H i F i D U I N O

Some folks, like DQ828, Corpius, gwiske, and bigpanda that can do code used different type displays. IIRC VFD displays will require external power due to the high mA requirements.

I had this big rats nest of wires on a breadboard with my Arduino/LCD until Corpius put me on to the electroFun LTD I2C LCDextra IO board. That reduced number of wires to run LCD. You do have to replace the Arduino LCD library with electroFUN's for it to work and add some lines to the code. Not sure if that works with VFD displays, but anyone that goes the LCD route should look into it. Not very expensive, like $9 US.

In regards to coupling caps, I saved some suggestions folks have offered in other threads. Mundorf ZN, Mundorf Supreme, Sonicaps. But I don't know caps like most of the folks here do.

I like Mundorf ZN. What I hate is anything starting with M . Metalized caps is killing the homogeinity. They focus on the treble. And make hard midrange.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.