• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The downside is output impedance is a bit higher (about 700 ohms).

I would likely prefer to use IVY-III for 8 channel work. As its output impedance is always low :)

1. Are you referring that sonic experience with Legato+buffers (or without buffers) will be worse than with IVY-III I/V stage? Legato is more adequate with headphones listening?
2. What about building a single multichannel I/V stage or in BIII embeded, is this in future plans?
3. Could BIII be configured to voltage output?

Last edited:
Hi.

I will use the single ended output.

Then Legato will work very well for you. If you plan (or even think it is possible you will plan) on driving headphones then get the version with the buffers.

IVY III would also work well here too, but it won't drive headphones SE as well.

Really its just going to come down to personal preference for you.

The current draw on the IVY-III is not really effected by the gain Rs.

The current draw on the Legato 3.1 is entirely dependent on the gain Rs along with CCS.

In my test each side of the Legato 3.1 core cct drew about 25-30ma. Add in the buffers and it will be a bit more than that. My guess is something like 100ma per Legato with buffers. I will have to do more testing to give an exact number.

Looks like I will have the budget for 4x IVY III boards after all, if they only require the one power supply...
I would wait to see what Russ finds out about the current required.

@Russ:
I agree the typical usage would be into a multi-channel amp, I doubt anyone would try to do 7.1 into a headphone :)
Would using balanced vs. SE matter? Most multi-channel amps would only have SE inputs, but multi-channel balanced amps do exist.

Well if one were doing pure balanced they could totally omit the bal/se stages on both IVY and Legato including the buffer this would cut down the current draw even more.

With legato SE output will be great with or without the buffers as it totally removes any concerns about the highish output impedance of the balanced I/V stage itself.

For the SE output task both Legato and IVY are very evenly matched.

As long as the input impedance of the next stage is high they are also evenly matched for the balanced output.

It is only in the case of a low impedance balanced load while in stereo mode that IVY-III is clearly superior. In mono mode the Legato is actually better for driving low impedance balanced loads because of the buffers.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Could you please answer on questions regarding building a single multichannel I/V stage or BIII embeded I/V stage, if this is in future plans and has BIII option implemented to use programmable filter? How can I use in BIII a voltage-output mode? In this case can I use BIII outputs directly as SE outputs?
Regards.

Last edited:
Could you please answer on questions regarding building a single multichannel I/V stage or BIII embeded I/V stage, if this is in future plans and has BIII option implemented to use programmable filter? How can I use in BIII a voltage-output mode? In this case can I use BIII outputs directly as SE outputs?
Regards.

Negatory. You would never want to do that.

You could program the ES9018 with filter coefficients, but it will never an active crossover make.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.