• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato output impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Russ,

My B2-Legato feeds an active crossover as the following stage. The high frequency selving filter in the active crossover is sensitive to the output impedance of the Legato and needs to be adjusted as appropriate. Can you provide the output impedance of the Legato 2.0 and the upcoming Legato 3.1 so that I can make the adjustment to the active crossover?

Many thanks, Ron.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies GM and Paul,

The output impedance is useful immediately for the Legato 2.0 but once the L3.1 is released it will replace the L2.0 in my system. So I was hoping for some assistance from Russ to ensure my system planning will anticipate the new Legato. I would likely use the SE out.

Thanks, Ron.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ron, are you here talking balanced or SE output ?

Thanks for the replies GM and Paul,

The output impedance is useful immediately for the Legato 2.0 but once the L3.1 is released it will replace the L2.0 in my system. So I was hoping for some assistance from Russ to ensure my system planning will anticipate the new Legato. I would likely use the SE out.

Thanks, Ron.

Why not use a buffer before the shelving filter? That way it will work with whatever is before it.
Yes, a good suggestion. But isn't the version 3 of Legato designed in the spirit of less is more? Fewer components mean less opportunity for noise and distortion to intercede. Certain the law of diminishing returns begins to apply at some point and less is then less.
The ASP that encompasses the active crossover has plenty of circuitry including opamps but I would like to keep the signal feeding it as clean as possible.
Wouldn't a buffer that maintains phase require two stages?

If the output impedance of Legato 3.1 (SE) is less then 200 ohms then I do not have to do anything to my ASP circuit; all will be right in my audio world.

Thanks, Ron.

Yes SE output impedance of the Legato 3.1 with buffer in the audio band is basically the DCR of the output choke. :) Which is very tiny.

Less than half an ohm(actually much less).

Interestingly the quote before I was actually talking about balanced input impedance. :) Which is also incredibly low. :cool: That is a key feature, and really important to getting the most out of the DAC.

The same low impedance is certainly true of the SE output impedance as well.

Cheers!
Russ1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.