• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

ES9102 ADC Module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Russ ... well, I could almost sense excitement through your last post :)

In the meantime a question has popped up and so, just to be sure: Are you making a solution that will (also) allow for 384 kHz/24 bit recording to a PC via USB - or are your design goals something different?

Best regards,

Jesper

Head amp

Same here :) Using some an excellent turntable platform with good tonearm and cartridge with good wires.

What is needed in addition to your ADC, is a super low noise moving coil head amp with nominal 64 dB gain flat from say 10Hz to 100kHz, and changable gain setting from 40-70 dB for MM cartridges and low output low-output-MC cartridges a la Ortofon. DC coupled and no bias current going through the cartridge.
Tricky stuff!

Cartridge loading must be changeable, too. Both MC load and MM load. Easy stuff :D

Input protection for your module will be needed but of a type that has minimal affect on sonics. Preferrable DC coupled.

I am indeed excited about it, as I plan to use it to create some high quality rips of my own vinyl. :)

QUOTE]

Same here :) Using some an excellent turntable platform with good tonearm and cartridge with good wires.

What is needed in addition to your ADC, is a super low noise moving coil head amp with nominal 64 dB gain flat from say 10Hz to 100kHz, and changable gain setting from 40-70 dB for MM cartridges and low output low-output-MC cartridges a la Ortofon. DC coupled and no bias current going through the cartridge.
Tricky stuff!

Cartridge loading must be changeable, too. Both MC load and MM load. Easy stuff :D

Input protection for your module will be needed but of a type that has minimal affect on sonics. Preferrable DC coupled.

I am indeed excited about it, as I plan to use it to create some high quality rips of my own vinyl. :)

QUOTE]

You might be interested in the Retro - especially the LOW-Z version for MC. It is not well suit to MM though.

Well Rus this really put a smile on my face - I have been looking for a topnotch ADC for some time as I have decided to put my vinyl collection onto hard disc, before decrepitude finally overcomes me.

Perhaps building in a full blown phono stage may create analogue/digital problems? re. the spec. that staccatiss has outlined. I have such a phono stage - Talk Audio's MC3 and I can say that it is a joy to use - no noise and totally versatile for loading and gain and very sensibly the PSU is a seperate item with high quality umbilical connection.

I think that if Rus does build in such a phono stage it would considerably raise the unit price?

There is no way that I would use a PC/laptop connected to the net as I would go mental if I my 1000 + LPs were lost or corrupted. With the help of my Dutch mate who is an IT man I intend to build, probably using an A/V chassis, a dedicated music storage package and backed up with at least two copies.

I thought that Russ´ADC would internally take care of the RIAA correction, so only a flat gain head amp is needed. No RIAA correction needed which is a big relief! The ADC can handle the RIAA decoding AFAIK :)

One could also use a transformer instead of a head amp to get at least 20 dB gain and then use a more simple OPamp based flat gain amp. Might have some advantages to use transformers here to separate grounds, and get balanced signals :) with which the ADC will perform better.

Music file backup is mandatory. Best is to have one backup in a bank deposit where it is fire proof.

Well Rus this really put a smile on my face - I have been looking for a topnotch ADC for some time as I have decided to put my vinyl collection onto hard disc, before decrepitude finally overcomes me.

Perhaps building in a full blown phono stage may create analogue/digital problems? re. the spec. that staccatiss has outlined. I have such a phono stage - Talk Audio's MC3 and I can say that it is a joy to use - no noise and totally versatile for loading and gain and very sensibly the PSU is a seperate item with high quality umbilical connection.

I think that if Rus does build in such a phono stage it would considerably raise the unit price?

There is no way that I would use a PC/laptop connected to the net as I would go mental if I my 1000 + LPs were lost or corrupted. With the help of my Dutch mate who is an IT man I intend to build, probably using an A/V chassis, a dedicated music storage package and backed up with at least two copies.

Sure I can give you an update.

I have the design about 80% complete.

I have prioritized the USB module above this module partly becuase this module will very likely be used with the USB module quite a lot.

So I am designing the USB module so that it can connect to a DAC/ADC as a master.

The ADC module will be able to act as an asynchronous mode slave. Which the ESS ADC chip does very well (I have an eval board").

So I figure I really need the USB module to effectively test if the new ADC is working well.

Keep an eye on the USB thread I am going to be posting some news there soon.

Cheers!
Russ

Excellent news!

If you need an extra pair of eyes checking the design (analog+PS section), email me.

Sure I can give you an update.

I have the design about 80% complete.

I have prioritized the USB module above this module partly becuase this module will very likely be used with the USB module quite a lot.

So I am designing the USB module so that it can connect to a DAC/ADC as a master.

The ADC module will be able to act as an asynchronous mode slave. Which the ESS ADC chip does very well (I have an eval board").

So I figure I really need the USB module to effectively test if the new ADC is working well.

Keep an eye on the USB thread I am going to be posting some news there soon.

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.