Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps! - Page 49 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 4th March 2012, 05:22 PM   #481
diyAudio Member

I'm a bit out of date on TP stuff, so I hope these aren't silly questions.

Am I right that the buffered SE output from the Legato is basically the same as the Ventus EZ circuit? This in turn seems to be basically the same as the SE-SE version of the 'Wire' amp.

Has anyone tried running custom or high efficiency IEMs off the stock Legato? I'm considering JH-13 pros which are 28ohms and 116dB/mW. It appears that even at unity gain I'd need substantial attenuation to avoid going deaf. Is it possible to safely configure the SE output for less than unity gain - say -20 or -30 dB to avoid having to use excessive digital attenuation? I'll have to double check my numbers, but that's the range I think I end up in.
Old 4th March 2012, 05:26 PM   #482
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Yep, basically, although my circuit predates "the wire". It drives even less sensitive headphones very well.
Old 5th March 2012, 12:53 PM   #483
diyAudio Member

I didn't answer your question specifically, but yes you can very easily configure the voltage output. I know a least one person who set theirs up for .5VRMS.
Old 7th March 2012, 07:04 AM   #484
salavat is offline salavat  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Default DC on balanced output

I know this problem has been discussed already, sorry for bringing it over again, I read the discussion, but still has not come to a decision what would work best.

I have Beta 22 amp, balanced (but not strictly balanced as I understand), while connecting Legato 3.1 balanced output to Beta my Beta switches off (DC protection module), so it does not work directly connecting.

I tried the following - installing Elna Cerafines electrolytics 100uf 25V in +/- circuit for each balanced output (total 4 caps), then after caps - shortening caps after to the ground with say 10K resistors (I think I should use 100K instead, since Beta load impedance is 47K). That worked so far, but I have doubts about the sound - seems to be a bit thin.

Also, I thought about coupling the GND line in balanced output, while connecting hot and cold lines directly.

Another solution I read about - drop GND output from balanced, which might be dangerous (I think).

Could you advice please what worked the best in terms of the sound? Also, if there are BIII and B22 owners who had the same problem, could you advice too?

SE works out and sounds fantastic!

Thanks!

Last edited by salavat; 7th March 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 7th March 2012, 07:01 PM   #485
diyAudio Member

is there a formula for setting the I/V stage voltage gain? I was not able to find this anywhere. I am hoping to try a lower gain setting as recommended by Russ on another thread. I would like to try something about 0.5-0.75 V output at 0 dBFS. I am currently using the stock R1-R4 and R9-R16 resistors. If I could calculate the value for R1-R4 then I just use 4.4x for R9-R16 as the manuals states, correct?
Old 7th March 2012, 07:39 PM   #486
diyAudio Member

Default Again and again

Russ the poor man has to answer the same questions again and again !
Old 8th March 2012, 03:32 AM   #487
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactivepower View Post
is there a formula for setting the I/V stage voltage gain? I was not able to find this anywhere. I am hoping to try a lower gain setting as recommended by Russ on another thread. I would like to try something about 0.5-0.75 V output at 0 dBFS. I am currently using the stock R1-R4 and R9-R16 resistors. If I could calculate the value for R1-R4 then I just use 4.4x for R9-R16 as the manuals states, correct?
Are you using SE output or only balanced?
Old 8th March 2012, 05:27 AM   #488
diyAudio Member

I am using the single ended output. I found the SE output is a noticeable improvement over my amps balanced input. Would you recommend making the changes in the I/V or the bal-SE stage?
Old 9th March 2012, 05:59 PM   #489
diyAudio Member

If you are only using the SE outputs I would adjust the gain at the BAL/SE stage.
Old 10th March 2012, 06:52 AM   #490
diyAudio Member

Fair enough. I am still curious to know how the resistors set the I/V stage gain in Legato though. I am not skilled enough to analyze the circuit to the point where I am as comfortable with it as I would like to be. I have gone through the thread and guide and haven't seen a formula; mind you it would be easy to miss something in the thread. I believe that R9-R11 set the bias current at about 45 mA per QN2 leg. It appears the MOSFET bias voltage is set by a voltage divider of QN2's Vce and the voltage across R6. Any more than that and I need to search through some textbooks... that I don't have access too.

Hide this!Advertise here!