Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps! - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 23rd June 2011, 01:13 PM   #271
4est is offline 4est  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe it is just me, but I haven't brought myself to dare hook up the L3 w/o output caps. With +/- 15 v rails, I have nearly 9volts of dc on both outputs to ground. It seems to beg for trouble, and I have no desire to fry my big mono blocks. I am using some AudioCap Theta 10uf polyprop and tin foil I had lying about. Sounds great!
Old 23rd June 2011, 02:30 PM   #272
Spev is offline Spev  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Out of interest, have you compared that to running unbalanced SE output into your amps?
Old 23rd June 2011, 03:12 PM   #273
diyAudio Member

Default L2 here,

with Mundorf Supreme 3.9 uF (into 11K per phase impedance) for coupling caps, and REL RTE polystyrenes for the filter/compensation caps. Sound is fantastic. I do wonder how much "damage" the coupling caps could be doing... I have heard a lot of very high end DACs (dCS, etc) and this one certainly does not lack for sound quality compared to anything I have heard. I need to contact my amp manufacturer and ask them about 8-9 VDC to ground and how the input stage would like it-I only run balanced.
Would love to try Duelund VSF copper foils, but too spendy for experimenting. Another coupling cap to try would be Modwright metallised polypro in oil. I disagree that film/foil is always better than metallised film-some metallised films are very, very good-like Mundorf Supreme series.
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:15 PM   #274
4est is offline 4est  United States
diyAudio Member

I only listened to the SE connections on power up as I was unsure of my 9v vs 6-7v the specified by TPA. IIRC, it seemed pretty nice, but I did not listen seriously to it.

I agree Barrows. I had these film/foils for my Soundlab speaker crossovers. In an application such as that, having real metal for the current top flow makes sense in my mind over metalized. With the small currents in a DAC output, other factors may take precedence.
Old 24th June 2011, 06:15 AM   #275
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est View Post
Maybe it is just me, but I haven't brought myself to dare hook up the L3 w/o output caps. With +/- 15 v rails, I have nearly 9volts of dc on both outputs to ground. It seems to beg for trouble, and I have no desire to fry my big mono blocks. I am using some AudioCap Theta 10uf polyprop and tin foil I had lying about. Sounds great!
Yes I think it´s just you....
I have 7.8v between each phase and gnd and run it all into a S&B TVC!
however between the phases it´s close to zero
sound very tight and transparent
like I said before; hard choice between L2 with the preferred caps and L3
wouldn´t mind finding a solution for being able to "hot-switch" between them
any ideas would be welcome
best
Leif
Norway

Last edited by leifchristensen; 24th June 2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 24th June 2011, 08:54 AM   #276
diyAudio Member

Here´s what I use: 15uF VSF copper foil caps into a 10k bulk metal foil stepped attenuator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
with Mundorf Supreme 3.9 uF (into 11K per phase impedance) for coupling caps, and REL RTE polystyrenes for the filter/compensation caps. Sound is fantastic. I do wonder how much "damage" the coupling caps could be doing... I have heard a lot of very high end DACs (dCS, etc) and this one certainly does not lack for sound quality compared to anything I have heard. I need to contact my amp manufacturer and ask them about 8-9 VDC to ground and how the input stage would like it-I only run balanced.
Would love to try Duelund VSF copper foils, but too spendy for experimenting. Another coupling cap to try would be Modwright metallised polypro in oil. I disagree that film/foil is always better than metallised film-some metallised films are very, very good-like Mundorf Supreme series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02438-2.jpg (612.9 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02441-2.jpg (860.7 KB, 341 views)
Old 24th June 2011, 09:22 AM   #277
diyAudio Member

cool pics!
is that the SD transport from BUNPEI?
why the second stacked Placid psu?
best
Leif
Old 24th June 2011, 09:23 AM   #278
diyAudio Member

How can I be sure the power amp can handle the DC from legato 3 ?
Is there any test procedure ?

I dont know if it is relevant but I had a problem when direct coupling Ventus with my power amp.
There was a hum. The problem solved when I used a tin foil capacitor.
But I prefer the sound without the capacitor

Last edited by Theodosis O.; 24th June 2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 24th June 2011, 09:37 AM   #279
diyAudio Member

Yes, that is the superb SDTrans192 ver 2.1 from Bunpei/Chiaki in Japan. I now also have the better sounding, IMHO, SDTrans192 ver 3.

The 2nd stacked Placid is suppying +5V for my 2nd B2-Tridents that is to the left of the setup in the photos. That B2 is connected to my computer via an USB-SPDIF interface and 10m of 75 coax - for background listening mostly.

The sound of the VSF are much better than the Mundorf Supreme 15uF caps I have tried. Better bass, more enjoyable midrange, and a silky smooth treble.

What I miss in the main setup are the Tridents. They made the B2 sound even better :-) I do have have the Tridents but....

/S

Quote:
Originally Posted by leifchristensen View Post
cool pics!
is that the SD transport from BUNPEI?
why the second stacked Placid psu?
best
Leif
Old 24th June 2011, 09:50 AM   #280
diyAudio Member

ok
but why 15µF? that shouldn´t be necessary to reach a low cutoff?
best
Leif

Hide this!Advertise here!