Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps! - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 28th March 2011, 06:09 PM   #101
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Russ, by lookin' at the picture Brian has posted can I assume the following. The BAL-SE conversion is still done by an opamp, the DC cancellation is done at the diamond buffer ??
Old 28th March 2011, 11:33 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by avr300 View Post
Russ, by lookin' at the picture Brian has posted can I assume the following.

1) The BAL-SE conversion is still done by an opamp,
2) the DC cancellation is done at the diamond buffer ??
1) Yes.
2) No.

There are two places where DC cancellation occurs. One pot trims the differential offset from the discrete I/V converter.

The other pot trims the DC error from op-amp and its Rs to zero. So that SE output can have absolutely zero offset.

this is actually playing to the strengths of the two sections. The I/V stage employing no feedback, and the BAL/SE stage using only as much as it needs while referencing the output directly to GND.

Those using the Buffalo dual mono with balanced outputs will have a real treat with the Legato 3.1.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited by Russ White; 28th March 2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 28th March 2011, 11:36 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrilu1 View Post
I mean...with a PlacidBP is possible to obtain +-12V and 300 mA...isn't it? Is that sufficient?

gianluca
Do you mean the regular Placid BP? Or the new Placid HD-BP?

Placid HD-BP can very easily do that. Even a regular Plaicd BP can so long as you use a 20 ro 10R pot for VR1 and VR2.
Old 29th March 2011, 01:58 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avr300 View Post
Russ, by lookin' at the picture Brian has posted can I assume the following. The BAL-SE conversion is still done by an opamp, the DC cancellation is done at the diamond buffer ??
Picture? Where?
Old 29th March 2011, 06:24 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
Do you mean the regular Placid BP? Or the new Placid HD-BP?

Placid HD-BP can very easily do that. Even a regular Plaicd BP can so long as you use a 20 ro 10R pot for VR1 and VR2.
Thanks Russ, yes I meant Placid PB, I believe that many people are interested in to the new buffer, but maybe for the moment, as me, they don't want to change power supply. That's why I asked if +-12V and 300 mA are sufficient to drive Legato 3. And I know that Placid BP con easily do. Placid BP already sports 20R pot for VR1 and VR2.
Thanks again
gianluca
Old 29th March 2011, 04:40 PM   #106
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringgz301 View Post
Picture? Where?
Here

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!

Post 60
Old 29th March 2011, 05:48 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Not being an engineer, I need some specific guidelines on power routing within my DAC. In general, heat and ventillation is going to become a greater issue as more power is used/shunted and I'm dealing with that issue now. My power supplies, Legato, and Tridents are making too much heat to put the top on the case.

For WAF and my own peace of mind when the DAC goes into its final close quarters, I'll be mounting two quiet exhaust fans atop the rack-mount case. [Two fans rather than one merely because I already cut two correctly-sized holes hoping wide-open fan grilles would permit sufficient convective ventilation. No go. ] 800 RPM ball bearing fans dialed from 12 V down to 10 V are silent and vibration free. Power will come from an add-on wall wart plugged into the DAC back panel, switched at the front panel and sent on to the fans. Wall warts are switching circuits that are notoriously 'dirty', right?

Two-part question:
1. Is there any problem running that 'dirty' DC power near the Buffalo2/Trident or the Opus boards or with those power wires intersecting balanced signal lines?
2. Would any additional filtration or shielding of that power within the chassis be advisable and if so, which?

What I'm hearing is SO superb, I don't want to take any chances of messing it up in order to keep everything cool! Thanks in advance for your advice!

Frank
Old 29th March 2011, 05:49 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrilu1 View Post
Thanks Russ, yes I meant Placid PB, I believe that many people are interested in to the new buffer, but maybe for the moment, as me, they don't want to change power supply. That's why I asked if +-12V and 300 mA are sufficient to drive Legato 3. And I know that Placid BP con easily do. Placid BP already sports 20R pot for VR1 and VR2.
Thanks again
gianluca
I answered that here:

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!
Old 29th March 2011, 06:07 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francolargo View Post
Hi Guys,

Not being an engineer, I need some specific guidelines on power routing within my DAC. In general, heat and ventillation is going to become a greater issue as more power is used/shunted and I'm dealing with that issue now. My power supplies, Legato, and Tridents are making too much heat to put the top on the case.
There are lot of good on-line resources regarding power routing, Its a complex subject and responding thoroughly would be more than I could do in a post. I would recommend you Google a bit and see what you can learn. Also there s always going to be a bit of trial and error. Do what looks the most reasonable or practical, and move on from there.

As for cooling, you should not need any fans, and I would not use them. You may just want to make sure you have adequate ventilation slots top and bottom of your case.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited by Russ White; 29th March 2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 29th March 2011, 06:10 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Thanks Russ!

I'll do my best.

F.

Hide this!Advertise here!