• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.
The Legato 3.1 works perfectly. Has lower distortion than IVY-III circuit and sounds better, especially bass.

But the balanced output + and - features 9 v. respect to ground. I will used it with balanced DCB1 and F5X (EUVL).

As one of the advantages of both DCB1 and FX5 will be that will be coupled in continuous, capacitors employment would spoil all advantages.

To solve the problem I can think of two circuits. It is floating mass to set XLR Pin 1 to 9 v.

I have a doubt that will work best of two. And what better 0 to15 v. or -15 to 15 Volts?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If I were going to do such a circuit I would simply put a couple of 10K(or similar value so as not to unnecessarily load the output) resistors in series across the balanced outputs and take the center(junction). Then use that for your common mode voltage (buffered). But once again you would have to be sure pin1 never made contact with common GND (say earth GND not necessarily 0V) or you would get a short.

As I said I can't think of a reason you would need to do this.

Last edited:
I measured the armonic distortion is much lower in my circuit. It is important that they are perfectly united Q2-Q3 and Q5-Q6. This is what more reduces the harmonic distortion in my circuit.

And the bass of IVY was the best and most accurate that had ever heard ... Until I heard the Legato 3.1 on a friend's house.

1000 Hz. + 7 dBu. measure 7 dB down is correct.
The measures in balanced and unbalanced are very close.
The output level and measurement equipment configuration is identical to IVY

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Legato III 3.1

What does that work out to in terms of THD? I am very pleased with the picture so far. :)

I am suspicious that there may something wrong with your IVY-III or possibly there are some resistor values that should be tweaked. Because the performance is very far off the mark.

Is there anything different about it from stock? Is it mounted using the mezzanine connectors?

Thanks!
RUss

Get this distortion has cost me effort. The transistors Q2-Q3 and Q5-Q6 have to go well together and touching. I've been moving this until they were good together and lowered distortion. I had -115 (-122) dBu two harmonics one positión but I could not place again.:headbash:

They should be glued in origin before soldering?

This measure is a Textronix AM700, is worse than a Audioprecisión and may be in poor condition. But compared to other DAC is the best I've ever measured.

Will I try to measure a Buffalo IVY from a friend to see if they look to close Ivy measures than mine. Do not go to be defective.

Yes I placed the patterns back to back specifically so that the Qs could be joined thermally. :) I am glad you picked on that. I will make it more explicit in the manual. I glue mine together with a little thick CA or epoxy.

Great work!

So it seems to me that works out to something between -116 to -118db THD?

Very good. Thanks for sharing!

What ? New information to and "old" board. Manual says zip :D

Lid off again - mixing epoxy...

Yes I placed the patterns back to back specifically so that the Qs could be joined thermally. :) I am glad you picked on that. I will make it more explicit in the manual. I glue mine together with a little thick CA or epoxy.

Great work!

So it seems to me that works out to something between -116 to -118db THD?

Very good. Thanks for sharing!

When the two transistor was very closed together, the values oscillates between -115dB to -120dB (15 seconds of period)

Correctly glued will drops to -122 dBu (or less)

I remark, all the values needs to be corrected with 7dB less, -115dBu = -122dBu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.