• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How can I be sure the power amp can handle the DC from legato 3 ?
Is there any test procedure ?

I dont know if it is relevant but I had a problem when direct coupling Ventus with my power amp.
There was a hum. The problem solved when I used a tin foil capacitor.
But I prefer the sound without the capacitor

Just do not connect ground between legato and your power amp. Without ground, there is no DC, and no problems.

Yep, it is a RC HP-filter of the 1st order with a cut-off at (2*pi*15u * 10k)^-1 = 0.94 Hz (-3dB). I could even use a 1uF cap but they are a bit costly and as I had three different pairs of VSF caps in the range 8u2 - 15u in my drawer, I just put the 15uF in and listened.

I have also tried the red-brown russian PIO // russian Teflon caps but the VSF is better, IMO.

/S

I know and that´s why I react on this extremely high value
It´s effectively a high-pass filter, right?
best
Leif

Interesting!
I sometimes use PFR:s as power supply bypass caps (10nF) but have not tried them as coupling caps.

Are the RelCaps available in 2n2?

/S

Thanks. I've just put some rifa pfr 2n2s in last night, but I'm not convinced. Sounds a bit flat and lifeless. Will have to try the pfes. I'm trying to resist ordering relcaps as I just can't justify the cost, but the niggle to try will never go away...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.