• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suppose this means both amp and headphones which is great - thanks!

Yes . :) At the SE outputs you have 250ma of SE output to use as you see fit.

Using the balanced outputs without caps is not going to work for everyone. I will cover this in the manual, but if you balanced amp has diode protection at the inputs, and/or cannot handle common mode DC while powered off or on, you should definitely use caps. This only applies to the balanced outputs, and those caps will not be in the path to the BAL/SE stage. If you do decide you need caps they will be external to the I/V stage, and can be fairly low value film types depending on the impedance of the next stage of course.

Those going into truly differential transformers with no tap to GND on the primary side will not need caps.

This thing is absolutely amazing into headphone. I have been listening to all of my cans, all of them from electrostatic to 600ohms sound awesome. Plenty of power to spare. Incredibly rich and realistic bass and extended but not harsh high end.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
What is HP_out ?

Attachments

• cut.JPG
    cut.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 765
One more thing Russ, I'm using 2 bipolar power supplies for driving (L+R) the Legato and the Ventus at the same time. Legato is 12V and The Ventus is 15V. What voltage should I use to get the best result out of both of them ? i believe that the Ventus works fine on 12V?

Lookin' forward to the Legato 3 !

The Shape of Things to Come

Russ thought I should post these as well, even though this prototype is awaiting a few more parts...

This is Placid HD-BP, designed for higher current output, and will replace Placid BP.

Attachments

• DSCN0336_small.jpg
    DSCN0336_small.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 840
  • DSCN0337_small.jpg
    DSCN0337_small.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 811
  • DSCN0328_small.jpg
    DSCN0328_small.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 759
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.