• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Supertex TP0604 ? :D

Correct. The same transistor will work for Legato 1/2 but you need to install them backward on those boards as the pin-out is reversed.

That part has a number of advantages, first is that he Vth is very consistent and low! This gives better headroom and THD. Second the low Ron. It is a great workhorse for the CFP. Especially in parallel. :cool:

Cheers!
Russ

Cool,

The pots in the L3 are very low value(and as such low noise), actually much lower than the CCS Rs. And in fact the way they are used any noise would be almost all common mode, and thus differentially negated. In fact you would be hard pressed to design a servo that would even come close to being this low noise. :)

Thanks Russ, good to know. I am a little skeptical of servos, as they are just another feedback loop (yeah, I know, DC only, but not really!).
I look forward to trying the L3...

Russ - aaarrrrgggghhhhh...when will it end, it's enough to drive a man to, well, beer! :) Seriously though, great work, looking forward to v3.

Friday is another brewing day I think, a homebrew variation on Stone's Oaked Arrogant Bastard is called for I think, can I get enough grain into my 5 gal cooler though?

Cheers!

Legato caps/ dc and TVC

hello
progress! even before I tested my L 2s! I guess that´s part of the game
just a few quick Qs:
can I run the L2 without caps or maybe even L3 into my Stevens&Billington TVC ?
If I can´t; what´s the lowest value I can get away with on the output caps on L2 ?
If I can will the bass in cap-less L2 be close to IVYII as well?
thxs for great products
best
Leif "waiting 4 new usb module" Christensen
Norway

Hi Russ

After successfully distinguishing left from right ( :) ) I fitted some TP0604 triples to my Legato. Result- a surprisingly big step forward! Everything sounds even more real. For example, the decay of percussion instruments sounds genuine, and timbre accuracy of all instruments improves too. The fine structure of the decay of e.g. violin notes is even more apparent and pleasing. Fabulous. Great for performance to match theoretical expectations too- it's not always the case in my experience. This is despite wrecking one of my negative rail supplies during the mods, and so, while I await repairs, my PS arrangements are not as good as they usually are- so more to come, I should think!

I had settled on 3n3 for the filter caps, and 1n for the compensation caps. Will try 2n2 for the compensation, as you suggest. BTW, I'm using Panasonic ECHU caps in these positions- SMD types, soldered as close as possible to the FETs as possible. I scrapped some of the protective lacquer off appropriate tracks to allow this. Sounded very good to me. (I'm also still using Pass B1 2Ssk170 FET buffers on the outputs, before the op amp, the metal can version of the latter, and the CCS on the current mirror transistor. Sorry! )

Many thanks for Buffalo/Legato. I had no idea that red book was capable of this quality of sound. What high higher res material I've tried- and in fairness I've not tried that much, just some DSD data from SACDs, and some 96/24 PCM from DVD-A- hasn't blown me away in comparision.

Thanks again

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.