• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After some digging I found the post that says to add jumpers J5/J6 as well after removing the opamps. I figured i had to connect the signal thru somewhere, just didn't know where. I desoldered the legs off the opamps and lifted them off the pads, but the case is soldered down or something so i left it on the board.

I think the sound is much better now. There's more detail, better sound stage and quite a bit less forward in the midrange. I can turn it up pretty loud without feeling any fatigue. Seems like there's a bit more bass but it's very tight and not boomy.

I wasn't entirely in love with the DAC until I removed the opamps, but I'm really happy now. Definitely recommend running without the buffer if you aren't driving headphones!

After some digging I found the post that says to add jumpers J5/J6 as well after removing the opamps. I figured i had to connect the signal thru somewhere, just didn't know where. I desoldered the legs off the opamps and lifted them off the pads, but the case is soldered down or something so i left it on the board.

I think the sound is much better now. There's more detail, better sound stage and quite a bit less forward in the midrange. I can turn it up pretty loud without feeling any fatigue. Seems like there's a bit more bass but it's very tight and not boomy.

I wasn't entirely in love with the DAC until I removed the opamps, but I'm really happy now. Definitely recommend running without the buffer if you aren't driving headphones!

Just to clarify a couple things...

J5/J6 are used to route the SE output of the op-amp to the SE-output pins when the buffers are not installed. They will have no impact if you are not using the SE outputs.

The parts you removed are not op-amps. They are buffers (actually a push-pull output stage).

When using the balanced outputs, the bal->se stage will have no impact on the sound, especially if you omit the op-amp.

Also, details of which components to omit when the bal->se stage is not needed are listed in the user Legato manual: http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/docs/linestages/legato_user_manual_3.1.0.pdf

I am glad you are enjoying the sound. :)

I've used Legato v2 with supertex parts and more recently IVY-III. Thinking about trying Legato v3.1. Any reason the HP out couldn't/shouldn't be used to drive a powered sub for a 2.1 setup? E.g., Rythmik servo A370PEQ via L/R RCA line-in and longish interconnects.

BK

Thanks for suggestion! After reading your post i finally decided to try it and lifted in/out legs of the buffers and installed jumpers quickly to see if i like it. We did a quick listening test with a friend before and after the modification. The immediate difference is that sound is less forward and highs are less "sizzling" while both - a bit cleaner and more detailed, mainly at higher frequencies. Before the mod - a friend often found highs of my Buffalo a bit too pronounced and slightly less natural compared to his multibit DAC, and now even he was happy while admitting that Buffalo resolution and transparency is unmatched. :)
I worried a bit that removing buffers could make sound "soft" or less dynamic, but it's definitely not the case.
I guess this simple "mod" is the #1 answer for those who find sound of buffalo/legato a bit bright/forward (if not using headphones). The effect is bigger than swaping opamps or caps i think

Last edited:
I can't say I personally agree with that assessment at all - I find the buffered output better in all regards - and definitely more flexible in terms of load capability. It offloads the job of driving current from the opamp and lets it focus on its main task - converting the balanced signal to single ended and controlling things via feedback. :) Still - experimenting is the fun of DIY - do as you like.

Maybe i was too quick with conclusions. After some longer listening i found that it actually sounds brighter and "thinner" without buffers. A bit more relaxed which helps to pleasantly "smooth" things out at first, but in the long run - there is less lows/mids now and a bit less definition and dynamics, with bass suffering the most. Could be opamp dependent (i use "metal can" LME49720HA)
P.S. I feel it's better to mess with opamps than buffers. For less forward midrange, deeper soundstage and larger bass - one can try LME49860 for example...

Last edited:
I've used Legato v2 with supertex parts and more recently IVY-III. Thinking about trying Legato v3.1. Any reason the HP out couldn't/shouldn't be used to drive a powered sub for a 2.1 setup? E.g., Rythmik servo A370PEQ via L/R RCA line-in and longish interconnects.

BK

Making really beautiful music! My favorite BII combination so far. It has a bit of magic/soul/pixie dust. Great job, guys.

BK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.