• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Russ, I assumed this but good to hear that the I/V stage can accommodate some increase in gain without likely detriment. My amp can be set for up to 31 dB of gain so my quess is it won't matter too much whether the gain of the I/V stage is reduced somewhat.

cheers.. oneday

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Legato with reduced out voltage

I am planning to make a custom build system for my JH16Pro IEM's using the Legato and a buffer. The impedance of the JH16Pro is 18Ohm.

So here here are a couple of questions

As the JH16Pro only need about 100mV for a very high volumen and I do not want to use an analog volumen control, I will need to reduce the output voltage.
I was thinking about connecting a 48ohm resistor in parallel with a 6.8n capacitor between the outputs:
1) It is easy to remove: I can put in a switch/relay so I can full output when I do not use the JH16Pro
2) The voltage variations for QN2/3 and QPx will be reduced : the distortion should be less

Are there a better way to reduce the output voltage

Next question

If I do not use the single ended output and adjust the input voltage to 1.6 Volt:
Do I need a negative power supply?
(R9 to R12 has to adjusted to get the rigth current)

Flemming

I recommend installing output caps as Russ said. It's easy to try.
I built Legato3 on previously bought L2 board. Excellent sounding even with output caps.

Electrolyte capacitors are better than their reputation. MKP are worse than their ........ I prefer the electrolyts. Film capacitors shall be without the M ! Only pure foil is ok. As a friend of the maker of the best film capacitors in the world, the DCA Cast Capacitor ,I regognize the best when I hear it. I and some friends heard the prototypes and I got them as a gift. So only pure foil for me. The problem is they are to big for most purposes. I like the Nichicon electrolyte for speakers as a compromise.

The capless balanced output of the Legato 3 is of interest to me as I've recently got a amp with balanced inputs. However, as I haven't long built a kit DAC based on a DSD-1796 chip, I'm wondering whether the Lagato could used with this DAC, albeit with some changes to accommodate a balanced output current (from the datasheet - Output current Full scale (0 dB) 4 mA p-p; Center current At BPZ –3.5 mA) that I'm guessing will be somewhat lower than that of the ESS9018 DAC.

cheers..oneday

Would you mind telling me where you got your DSD 1796 DAC kit from please?

Thanks,
Rob.

As a friend of the maker of the best film capacitors in the world, the DCA Cast Capacitor ,I regognize the best when I hear it. I and some friends heard the prototypes and I got them as a gift. So only pure foil for me.

What a lucky person you are! I found that's about 2 times more expensive than BII board. :D

I 'm currently using ERO MKT 1813 as coupling caps, because I just had them in my junkbox. They are at least better than I expected.

Maybe it is just me, but I haven't brought myself to dare hook up the L3 w/o output caps. With +/- 15 v rails, I have nearly 9volts of dc on both outputs to ground. It seems to beg for trouble, and I have no desire to fry my big mono blocks. I am using some AudioCap Theta 10uf polyprop and tin foil I had lying about. Sounds great!

L2 here,

with Mundorf Supreme 3.9 uF (into 11K per phase impedance) for coupling caps, and REL RTE polystyrenes for the filter/compensation caps. Sound is fantastic. I do wonder how much "damage" the coupling caps could be doing... I have heard a lot of very high end DACs (dCS, etc) and this one certainly does not lack for sound quality compared to anything I have heard. I need to contact my amp manufacturer and ask them about 8-9 VDC to ground and how the input stage would like it-I only run balanced.
Would love to try Duelund VSF copper foils, but too spendy for experimenting. Another coupling cap to try would be Modwright metallised polypro in oil. I disagree that film/foil is always better than metallised film-some metallised films are very, very good-like Mundorf Supreme series.

I only listened to the SE connections on power up as I was unsure of my 9v vs 6-7v the specified by TPA. IIRC, it seemed pretty nice, but I did not listen seriously to it.

I agree Barrows. I had these film/foils for my Soundlab speaker crossovers. In an application such as that, having real metal for the current top flow makes sense in my mind over metalized. With the small currents in a DAC output, other factors may take precedence.

Maybe it is just me, but I haven't brought myself to dare hook up the L3 w/o output caps. With +/- 15 v rails, I have nearly 9volts of dc on both outputs to ground. It seems to beg for trouble, and I have no desire to fry my big mono blocks. I am using some AudioCap Theta 10uf polyprop and tin foil I had lying about. Sounds great!

Yes I think it´s just you....
I have 7.8v between each phase and gnd and run it all into a S&B TVC!
however between the phases it´s close to zero
sound very tight and transparent
like I said before; hard choice between L2 with the preferred caps and L3
wouldn´t mind finding a solution for being able to "hot-switch" between them
any ideas would be welcome
best
Leif
Norway

Last edited by a moderator:
Here´s what I use: 15uF VSF copper foil caps into a 10k bulk metal foil stepped attenuator.

with Mundorf Supreme 3.9 uF (into 11K per phase impedance) for coupling caps, and REL RTE polystyrenes for the filter/compensation caps. Sound is fantastic. I do wonder how much "damage" the coupling caps could be doing... I have heard a lot of very high end DACs (dCS, etc) and this one certainly does not lack for sound quality compared to anything I have heard. I need to contact my amp manufacturer and ask them about 8-9 VDC to ground and how the input stage would like it-I only run balanced.
Would love to try Duelund VSF copper foils, but too spendy for experimenting. Another coupling cap to try would be Modwright metallised polypro in oil. I disagree that film/foil is always better than metallised film-some metallised films are very, very good-like Mundorf Supreme series.

Attachments

• DSC02438-2.jpg
    DSC02438-2.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 475
  • DSC02441-2.jpg
    DSC02441-2.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 444
How can I be sure the power amp can handle the DC from legato 3 ?
Is there any test procedure ?

I dont know if it is relevant but I had a problem when direct coupling Ventus with my power amp.
There was a hum. The problem solved when I used a tin foil capacitor.
But I prefer the sound without the capacitor

Last edited:
Yes, that is the superb SDTrans192 ver 2.1 from Bunpei/Chiaki in Japan. I now also have the better sounding, IMHO, SDTrans192 ver 3.

The 2nd stacked Placid is suppying +5V for my 2nd B2-Tridents that is to the left of the setup in the photos. That B2 is connected to my computer via an USB-SPDIF interface and 10m of 75 coax - for background listening mostly.

The sound of the VSF are much better than the Mundorf Supreme 15uF caps I have tried. Better bass, more enjoyable midrange, and a silky smooth treble.

What I miss in the main setup are the Tridents. They made the B2 sound even better :) I do have have the Tridents but....

/S

cool pics!
is that the SD transport from BUNPEI?
why the second stacked Placid psu?
best
Leif

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.