• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato 3 - Look ma! No caps!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Discrete parts for bal. to SE conversion

Hi Russ,

I'd like to have your suggestions for SE conversion in a "discrete way". Don't want to have a lot of negative feedback and high open-loop gain using an op amp. The legato output goes into my preamp. Many "discrete op amp" can be found here on this board but I'd like to get the maximum quality the Legato can give.

Thanks.

Hi Russ,

I'd like to have your suggestions for SE conversion in a "discrete way". Don't want to have a lot of negative feedback and high open-loop gain using an op amp. The legato output goes into my preamp. Many "discrete op amp" can be found here on this board but I'd like to get the maximum quality the Legato can give.

Thanks.

That would be Ventus :)

Nope, J5 and J6

Attachments

• legato_3_layout_jumpers.jpg
    legato_3_layout_jumpers.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 517
Buffer or no buffer?

Hi,

I am working on my next Buffalo project and would like to try out the new Legato stage. I am building an integrated box with a β24 amplifier that has an input impedance of 5000 Ohm.

For that fixed configuration what is the recommended setup. Buffer or no buffer?

Cheers

Thomas

I would leave the jumpers out and just not power the bal/se stage (center power terminals).

Hello Brian.
Not to sure I understood well. I too would like to use the SE output available at J5,J6 and not power the buffers. Since IC1 takes its power from +15V3 and -15V3, thus center power terminals, I would need the jumpers at all times. There is no way to unpower those buffers easyly, that I saw.
Could you clarify, please.

Hello Brian.
Not to sure I understood well. I too would like to use the SE output available at J5,J6 and not power the buffers. Since IC1 takes its power from +15V3 and -15V3, thus center power terminals, I would need the jumpers at all times. There is no way to unpower those buffers easyly, that I saw.
Could you clarify, please.

That's a different proposition.

I have the board with buffers installed, but will initially omit the bal/se stage.

He was not using the bal/se section at all.

You are correct, that it is not straight forward to not power the buffers. However, why do you want to avoid using them is they are already there?

If you want to *not* power the BAL/SE stage (including the buffers populated or not, it won't matter) yet still use the balanced I/V stage you you simple omit the supply jumpers and wire both the left and the right side terminal blocks directly to your power supply.

This IMO is an extremely impractical thing to do. Instead go ahead and populate the BAL/SE stage and power it, but either use i's output or not. your choice. Its presence does do harm. :)

I am comparing the used buffer (LM49600) against the one I used in some projects (BUF634T). Looking at the circuit diagram they LOOK THE SAME, but they are different manufacturers.

Why did you choose LM49600, any advantage I didn't see?

They are both good, and yes they are quite similar, but I simply like the National part better for the reasons Brian stated, plus it seems to do a better job dissipating heat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.