Old 27th April 2011, 01:53 PM   #31
UKPD is offline UKPD  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

+1
Old 27th April 2011, 07:10 PM   #32
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you're not up to it, buy plug and play and enjoy. No shame it that.
Certainly, but I also see the problem with the Trident/BII combo: the official DAC manual states not to expect support if your DAC breaks. I'm sure it sounds much worse than Russ and Brian intended it, but for modules (from the original manufacturer) that are meant to fit the BII that's quite a strange statement, even if it's a DIY solution.
Old 29th April 2011, 02:30 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonvB View Post
... the official DAC manual states not to expect support if your DAC breaks. I'm sure it sounds much worse than Russ and Brian intended it, but for modules (from the original manufacturer) that are meant to fit the BII that's quite a strange statement, even if it's a DIY solution.
As an owner, I definitely appreciate both sides of this situation. I couldn't remove the Buffalo II ferrites with a soldering iron and I wouldn't blame TPA for not feeling responsible if a customer like me damaged the board. On the flip side, I have *installed* a ferrite and obviously there is nothing to it. Meanwhile, the support that Russ and/or Brian have given me and others with B2/Trident has been well above and beyond that implied by 'DIY'. My suggestion - for the sake of consistency in support if nothing else - would be to leave the ferrites for the user to install if they are not planning to use Tridents. And if you want them off once they are in... you're on your own if the Buffalo board is damaged.

[Hint: try an aluminum foil nozzle directing air from a heat gun... ]

Frank
Old 4th May 2011, 01:52 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to yammy1688 Send a message via MSN to yammy1688
Waiting patiently for the next batch. Need two sets for buffalo 2
Old 5th May 2011, 12:33 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

It's been quiet here so I hope maybe it's OK to veer slightly off topic. I answer hard questions every day and always have the policy that there are no 'dumb questions'... Readers here know that I'm not EE inclined but am a junkie for pure sound. ...so I'm just curious...

In layman's terms, what are the Tridents doing better than Buffalo's on-board regulated power supplies? Or similarly, what is Placid BP doing as the Legato supply that makes it a superior power source? What are the properties that make them sound so good?

Second question is: Compared to, say, an unregulated power amplifier supply, why wouldn't similar benefits apply to the final link in the signal chain? Is it that speakers are considered not to be adequately revealing?

Nelson Pass states that regulated supplies in power amplifiers 'deliver the goods' if they are large enough.

Third question is what would it take to scale up some of the Trident and Placid magic to make 6 or 7 kick-*** amperes (peak) to power a mid-size discrete power amp? [... at least in theory, forgetting about heat for the moment...]

If this is too far OT feel free to delete, but it would be nice to know more about the theory here...

Cheers,

Frank

Last edited by francolargo; 5th May 2011 at 12:35 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!