Trident - Three-leg Shunt Regulator - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 17th February 2011, 10:27 PM   #21
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks, instruction writing is pretty hard in a foreign language. I'm glad so many people like it.
It indeed is meant to reduce the amount of searching by people building a BII-based DAC, so if there are errors or things unclear I'd like to hear about them. A few small things were already pointed out by Brian, and corrected in the version I'm working on right now.
Old 18th February 2011, 07:48 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Please, let us know when the new version is out.
May be it's not a bad idea if you post your manual in the "Buffalo II" thread, as well.
Thanks for the hard work!
Old 18th February 2011, 07:10 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

The new version is in the works, it will be available on the TPA website. You will be able to find it in the new document page Brian just created for this type of documents: Twisted Pear Audio Document Repository
It handily combines all the TPA manuals in one big list, and includes documents of the community.

Last edited by BrianDonegan; 18th February 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 18th February 2011, 07:19 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonvB View Post
The new version is in the works, it will be available on the TPA website. You will be able to find it in the new document page Brian just created for this type of documents: Twisted Pear Audio Document Repository
It handily combines all the TPA manuals in one big list, and includes documents of the community.
The nice thing is that that page "automagically" scans for all the doc we have posted, whether or not there is a link to it, and adds it to the list. Some are old, some are new.
Old 24th February 2011, 03:39 PM   #25
nacder is offline nacder  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

As the Tridents have become so indispensable, I wonder if there will be a revised "Buffalo 3" with all the Trident shunts built-in.
Old 24th February 2011, 04:24 PM   #26
sp502 is offline sp502  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacder View Post
As the Tridents have become so indispensable, I wonder if there will be a revised "Buffalo 3" with all the Trident shunts built-in.
The shape of things to come!
TPA please just do it!
Old 24th February 2011, 05:02 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacder View Post
Why? The different configurations allow different price points with higher price mostly equaling higher overall performance. Pick your own investment to start. The basic setup might just do you as well as you need.

Some folk will buy the basic kit as cost is relatively low and add Tridents or other tweaks (IVY, Counterpoint, Legato 1,2,3, Placid, LCDPS...) as time, money and perceiptions evolve over time. Warning: this might entail one getting their hands dirty and actually listening and evaluating what they hear with the mods they have done. This is where DIY gets FUN! And learn something, too.

Its all about DIY and finding that sweet spot on the performance to price ratio that works for you. IMO if you want a turn key Sabre solution, simply buy a Weiss DAC202 for 10 times more.
Old 26th April 2011, 01:28 PM   #28
Marek is offline Marek  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve jones View Post
Why? The different configurations allow different price points with higher price mostly equaling higher overall performance. Pick your own investment to start. The basic setup might just do you as well as you need.
Because adding of Tridents are not supported by TPA and you do it for your own risk. Not everyone who want to have Trident performance supply want to risk. B3 will not limit your choice - you can always buy B2.
Old 26th April 2011, 10:12 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Because adding of Tridents are not supported by TPA and you do it for your own risk. Not everyone who want to have Trident performance supply want to risk. B3 will not limit your choice - you can always buy B2.
With that first part you certainly have a good point, and it's the only objection I have against the Trident modules. Several persons have had problems mounting them correctly and although Russ and Brian so far have extensively supported those persons that did run into trouble, the basic rule still is "on your own risk".
The second part is something I have doubts about. The original Buffallo and the B32 modules aren't available anymore. And I doubt that the BII will remain available if there ever comes a BIII.
Old 27th April 2011, 01:58 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonvB View Post
Several persons have had problems mounting them correctly and although Russ and Brian so far have extensively supported those persons that did run into trouble, the basic rule still is "on your own risk".
In DIY you have to start to learn somewhere. If someone can screw up mounting Tridents onto a Buff2 board, I'd hate to guess what they could do assembling a complete Placid/Buff2/Placid/Legatto sans Tridents. Russ and Brian have shown EXTREME patience with a lot of folks here (me included).

IMO toasting a few projects and learning with understanding how not to do it again are the dues paid for DIY College of Hard Knocks. If you're not up to it, buy plug and play and enjoy. No shame it that. "A man's got to know his limitations." But I would prefer for Russ and Brian to concentrate on bringing new and inventive modules and products to the marketplace for sale and not be spread thin rehashing "which way do the diodes go" questions, that don't contribute to their bottom line either.

Hide this!Advertise here!