• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Lagato 2 with transformer S.E.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few questions on a transformer SE on a Lagato 2.

Can a balanced to SE transformer have its + / - inputs be taken from before the C5-C8 caps (the Nichicon green Muse), where then caps can be removed, or after (keeping the caps in place)?

I do not plan on using the onboard balanced/s.e. on board silicon.

If the caps are to be kept in place, iirc in reading the other threads, that thay can be replace with film caps ( between 2.2uf and 10uf), but dependant on the impedence of the transformer.

I have a choice between low (600/600 1:1) or high (10K/10K 1:1) balanced to s.e. transformers...

Which transformer would be more appropriate for this application? and an appropriate value of capacitor for that transformer?

Up front will be dual mono Buff2's and from my reading of the threads the I/V values should be 75 ohm and 330 ohms ( to keep a good balance between output current and distorion), as the Buff2's would be wired to have 32ma each out to each channel of the single Legatto2.

JD

A few questions on a transformer SE on a Lagato 2.

Can a balanced to SE transformer have its + / - inputs be taken from before the C5-C8 caps (the Nichicon green Muse), where then caps can be removed, or after (keeping the caps in place)?

I do not plan on using the onboard balanced/s.e. on board silicon.

If the caps are to be kept in place, iirc in reading the other threads, that thay can be replace with film caps ( between 2.2uf and 10uf), but dependant on the impedence of the transformer.

I have a choice between low (600/600 1:1) or high (10K/10K 1:1) balanced to s.e. transformers...

Which transformer would be more appropriate for this application? and an appropriate value of capacitor for that transformer?

Up front will be dual mono Buff2's and from my reading of the threads the I/V values should be 75 ohm and 330 ohms ( to keep a good balance between output current and distorion), as the Buff2's would be wired to have 32ma each out to each channel of the single Legatto2.

JD

Hello Jeffrey,

The transformers can be placed wither before or after the caps, but if you take the signal from before the caps you'll have some DC offset. Trouble is, transformers saturate and produce much distortion if fed too much DC offset. How much offset can be tolerated depends on the particular transformer - ask the manufacturer for a guide here. Alternatively, just try both ways and see which you like the sound of best. If the tranny is distorting badly you'll get a fat and bloated bass, and general lack of clarity.

As for which type of transformer, 10K types are known as "input transformers" - they go on the input of the amplifier as they can't have much wire length after them, dues to capacitance. 600 ohms types are "output transformers" and can be placed in the DAC / preamp.

Hope this helps,
Dan

I'll only have about 24" of interconnect between the DAC and the preamp I'm using. Decided on a pair of Cinemag CMLI-15/15B2 input transformers for the Balnced to S.E. duties. (even tho they will be used at the output and mounted in the case after the Lagato2). I'll use a 4PDT switch to manualy switch between S.E. and Balanced. Output caps will be 4.7uf Jupiter HT Beeswax.

JD

Hello Jeffrey,

The transformers can be placed wither before or after the caps, but if you take the signal from before the caps you'll have some DC offset. Trouble is, transformers saturate and produce much distortion if fed too much DC offset. How much offset can be tolerated depends on the particular transformer - ask the manufacturer for a guide here. Alternatively, just try both ways and see which you like the sound of best. If the tranny is distorting badly you'll get a fat and bloated bass, and general lack of clarity.

As for which type of transformer, 10K types are known as "input transformers" - they go on the input of the amplifier as they can't have much wire length after them, dues to capacitance. 600 ohms types are "output transformers" and can be placed in the DAC / preamp.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Just found out that Nuetrik makes (what they call) a tiny XLR connector.
The panel mounting hole size is .44" (11.2mm), where as the RCA holes in my pre are .47".
A pair of the "tiny" XLR's can fit in the input panel one for one. Also, there is plenty of room inside my pre for a pair of the Cinemags. My pre is a self built S.E. tube jobbie.
Doing it this way will allow for a set of balanced cables from the Lagato2 to the pre, and the Cinemags will provide galvanic isolation to boot. The internal wiring in the pre from the traffos is about 3" of .5mm Mundorf silver/gold, so capacitance is nill.
I'll run the Lagato2 to Pre in Balanced, and I'll find a proper pair of output traffos for the S.E. duties.....
JD

Attachments

• preamp.JPG
    preamp.JPG
    635.1 KB · Views: 373
  • preamp guts.JPG
    preamp guts.JPG
    679.2 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Hi JD

You have really nice stuff there....!!

Seems You are dooing extensive reserch with realy pro aprouch....

Well I do not know what trafo would be the best but ..in thread about Legato, Russ mention that it would be good idea to put extra VR in parallel with one of CCSR of Legato and this should allow for canceling or at list geting really low with DC at Legato DIF OUT. There will be probably some thermall drift, but avoiding caps beffore trafo could to be worth trying this small mod.

Rosendorfer

Actually, I'm doing both. I can't predict how my future systems will be configured. My Buff2 / Lagato will have both a single end out (with the Ll1684 lundahls) as well as the Lagaotos balanced out.
I'm modding my DIY tube pre (pictured elsewhere) to have a balanced in with a pair of Cinemag CMLI-15/15B transformers transplanted into the case (I have enough room) with a pair of REAN tiny XLR's that fit into a pair of existing RCA jack holes. A relatively easy conversion.

Neutrik TINY XLR

This way I can mix and match with a variety of equipment

JD

Why not do the bal->se at the destination rather than the source? Sort of defeats the purpose of having balanced signal...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.