Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 12th November 2010, 02:01 PM   #11
jgazal is offline jgazal  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktk_smile View Post
The picture After completed:

SDƒJ[ƒhƒvƒŒƒCƒ„[“󍆋@i‚»‚Ģ‚Sj: Ama Ama Audio Visual

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/abcde/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]Click the image to open in full size.
Thank you.

Is the mentioned I/V stage from Mr. Fujiwara (http://easy-audio-kit.hp.infoseek.co.jp/)?

I saw Mr. Fujiwara“s I/V use the 2SK246BL transistor (http://www20.tok2.com/home/easyaudiokit/IVCmanual.pdf).

Is it DC coupled? Does it have a servo DC? Why two single ended pairs instead of a pair of XLR's?

I think diyaudio is forcing me to learn Japanese, which is not an easy task...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycavsr2000 View Post
Dzien dobry my polish colleague,

Is it possible for you to show a drawing similar to what Twisted Pear has done on their website regarding how the wiring is done for a Dual Mono Buffalo -> Single stereo Legato? Are you paralleling the outputs from the two Buffalo's to the single Legato? And I'm very confused about what you are doing with the negative and positive phases...

Dziekuje bardzo,

Anand.
x2

Last edited by jgazal; 12th November 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12th November 2010, 03:03 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

>Is the mentioned I/V stage from Mr. Fujiwara (http://easy-audio-kit.hp.infoseek.co.jp/)?

>I saw Mr. Fujiwara“s I/V use the 2SK246BL transistor (http://www20.tok2.com/home/easyaudiokit/IVCmanual.pdf).

Right.

>Is it DC coupled? Does it have a servo DC? Why two single ended pairs >instead of a pair of XLR's?

It does not have servo, but can adjust DC by trimmer pots.
Mr.Fujiwara added DC servo circuit on his "Power-IVC" board,
that's basically the same as above but mainly for higher current output DACs.

I think he uses DIY RCA-XLR compatible cable (two RCA connectors to one XLR)
Old 12th November 2010, 08:57 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi

As for drawing this could take bit time but I'm sure that my pictueres will explain everything.
As I've try to explain this is wery easy and straightforward connection. With my "Dual Mono Special Connector" ... I can use oryginall Legato-Bufallo mounting hols and connectors, so no soldering at boards required...

This is very nice and simple solution and it works very well no doubt about this. The only question is if this is better that 2 Bufallo and 2 Legato...
Actualy this is Russ idea so some input from his side would be nice...

One remark if someone is going to try this, Please first check that DAC are really working in duall mono before making output connections...

And to my Polish connections at other side of Atlantic... Anand bardzo dziękuję za miłe przyjęcie ...

If drawing is still needed let me know...

Rosendorfer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2buffalo1Legato_06.jpg (36.6 KB, 792 views)
File Type: jpg 2buffalo1Legato_04.jpg (81.2 KB, 720 views)
File Type: jpg 2buffalo1Legato_05.jpg (95.3 KB, 710 views)
Old 12th November 2010, 09:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgazal View Post
A must read white paper.
Hi Jgazal

It seems You have realy managed to gather some info on Sabre...

Do You have Buffalo in Your hands...??

Best Regards
Rosendorfer
Old 12th November 2010, 09:31 PM   #15
jgazal is offline jgazal  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Rosendorfer. Those are very enlightening pictures. No need for drawings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosendorfer View Post
Do You have Buffalo in Your hands...??
Best Regards
Rosendorfer
Not yet.

But I am trying to solve this as soon as possible.

I have been following TPA threads for a long time. Russ (TPA), Brian (TPA) and Dustin (from ESS) have posted a lot of knowledge here...

I am not an engineer. In fact, I am a layman, but a very curious layman, which means that I do not have the knowledge and equipment to confirm all data, but I trust their reasoning.

Best regards,

Jose
Old 12th November 2010, 09:53 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenkin View Post
I am planning on doing this eventually, too. But i am still a little confused. In your earlier post you stated that all 16 DAC went to one channel, but each Buffalo II has 8 DAC so that would imply that both Buffalo II boards went to one channel and therefore you are really doing a "quad" or "dual, dual" mono for lack of a better term. Requiring 4 Buffalos IIs and 2 Legato to have two channel output. Or have I missed something.
Hi Jrenkin

I'm sory for any confusion regarding 8 vs 16 Dac at ES9018.
I've checked and officialy ESS is calling this chip as 8 chanell dac so let this be that...
The point is to use one Buffalo Dac per one stereo chanell and summ up all (!!) currents/outputs from Buffalo.... into one Legato input...and if this is 8 or 16 internall dacs this is not so important...
I hope this clears any confusion...

Rosendorfer
Old 12th November 2010, 10:01 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgazal View Post
Thanks, Rosendorfer. Those are very enlightening pictures. No need for drawings.
I knew You will like them...

BR.
Rosendorfer
Old 12th November 2010, 11:30 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Rosendorfer,

Thanks for the pictures. I had to review your first picture on this thread to understand what you have done. I am going to try to explain it in words.

Okay, the assumption is we have two Buffalo II modules and one stereo Legato module.

With the first Buffalo II module, locate the OUT_L outputs. From here connect a wire from the negative pole (-) of the OUT_L output to the positive pole (+) of the OUT_R output. Do the same with the positive (+) pole of the OUT_L output to the negative pole (-) of the OUT_R output. Ideally these two wires should be twisted.

With the second Buffalo II module, locate the OUT_R outputs. From here connect a wire from the negative pole (-) of the OUT_R output to the positive pole (+) of the OUT_L output. Do the same with the positive (+) pole of the OUT_R output and connect a wire to the negative pole (-) of the OUT_L output.

Next, on the Legato board locate the I_IN_L and I_IN_R input holes. You will see there are corresponding holes marked positive (+) and negative (-).

Next, use a 3 terminal connector as shown in Rosendorfer's previous posts so that the OUT_R_OUT+ connects to the corresponding Legato board where it is labelled I_IN_L positive (+) hole. Do the same with the OUT_R_OUT- connects to the corresponding part in the Legato board where it is labelled I_IN_L negative (-) hole.

Do the same thing with the other Buffalo board as above.

So what about the grounds?

Thanks!

Anand.
Old 13th November 2010, 01:32 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycavsr2000 View Post
Rosendorfer,

Thanks for the pictures. I had to review your first picture on this thread to understand what you have done. I am going to try to explain it in words.

Okay, the assumption is we have two Buffalo II modules and one stereo Legato module.

With the first Buffalo II module, locate the OUT_L outputs. From here connect a wire from the negative pole (-) of the OUT_L output to the positive pole (+) of the OUT_R output. Do the same with the positive (+) pole of the OUT_L output to the negative pole (-) of the OUT_R output. Ideally these two wires should be twisted.

With the second Buffalo II module, locate the OUT_R outputs. From here connect a wire from the negative pole (-) of the OUT_R output to the positive pole (+) of the OUT_L output. Do the same with the positive (+) pole of the OUT_R output and connect a wire to the negative pole (-) of the OUT_L output.

Next, on the Legato board locate the I_IN_L and I_IN_R input holes. You will see there are corresponding holes marked positive (+) and negative (-).

Next, use a 3 terminal connector as shown in Rosendorfer's previous posts so that the OUT_R_OUT+ connects to the corresponding Legato board where it is labelled I_IN_L positive (+) hole. Do the same with the OUT_R_OUT- connects to the corresponding part in the Legato board where it is labelled I_IN_L negative (-) hole.

Do the same thing with the other Buffalo board as above.

So what about the grounds?

Thanks!

Anand.

As for the grounds they are of cause needed and used.

At Buffalo DAC PCB there is one Ground plane, the same for Left and Right output chanell so there is enought to connect 2 wires between Bufalo outputs. Like on my connector, ground is already at Buffalo PCB. But at connection to Legato You have to use 3 Pin connector with Out+ Out- and Ground in the midle. Exactly as in normall stereo connection.

Hope this is clear.

BR
Rosendorfer
Old 15th November 2010, 02:42 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Next question. Since you used 2 Buffalo II modules, obviously the current doubled. What did you end up changing on the Legato module in order to get 1.5V to 2V rms at 0dBfs? It's important to find out what this current is as others who would like to implement a differential I/V stage, whether tubed or solid state or transformer, will need this info to make sure their favorite I/V stage can handle this level of current.

Does anybody know what the current output is of a single buffalo II module?

Thanks,
Anand.

Hide this!Advertise here!