Buffallo Dual Mono 1 Legato - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 11th February 2012, 12:53 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

OK Rosendorfer, the dual-mono single Legato Buffalo's up and running! No problems with the voltage, the output now matches that of my old GigaDAC. It sounds really good, certainly on a par with my old Dual-Mono setup.

Many thanks for your very good advice and help.
Old 17th February 2012, 05:15 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Is the Volumite really needed to do this? If I read the integration guide correctly, then connecting the outputs opposite phase on one board and opposite phase on the other board as well should work (as long as each board has it's dip switches set for the appropriate left or right channel, and set for dual mono operation).
Instead of a single Lagato, I will be using a 1:1 transformer for my balanced to S.E. conversion, then into a tube output stage.

JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosendorfer View Post
Hi
This is dual mono configuration .... each DAC work for one chanell, but instead using 2 x IVY or 2 x Legato, I'm using 1 Legato and this requires of cause summing up each DAC Right and Left currents/outputs into one Legato Chanell.
Using TP duall mono Volumite firmware L and R DAC chanels are oposite phases so all You need to do is just connect Buffalo L and R outputs but in oposite phases ie : L"+" with R"-" and L"-" with R "+". And this goes into one Legato chanell.

This is the way to get 3dB extra DNR from gooing duall mono...and reach 135dB DNR ..or something close to that ....

And for better chanell separation of cause separate Power Suplly for L and R Legato chanells would be welcome..

Best Regards
Rosendorfer

Last edited by Jeffrey Davison; 17th February 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 18th February 2012, 01:32 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Yes it will just as easily work for the on-board firmware. You just won't have volume control for the BII.
Old 18th February 2012, 03:14 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Thanks Russ.

JD
Old 19th February 2012, 10:10 AM   #105
needsp is offline needsp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ

(I posted this a little while ago, but I think it went unnoticed )

I'm thinking of trying out a dual mono implementation of Buffalo II, with a single Legato I/V stage.

Am I right to think that a single VACC regulator per channel- one for each Buffalo board- would be preferable to the two per board used in the standard stereo implementation? I.e. a single reg for all eight now paralleled DACs? Otherwise, unless I've got this wrong, you end up with two paralleled regs feeding the DACs?

If a single reg is appropriate, how much current does it need to provide? should I connect it to just one est of pcb pads, or posiion it more centrally, and feed both sets of pads?

Thanks

Paul
Old 19th February 2012, 01:59 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Paul, I would use it just as designed, trying to use a single AVCC reg for both DACs will result is nets that are far too long for good regulation.

Cheers!
Russ

Hide this!Advertise here!