• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TPA - USB Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This sounds very interesting. I personally would be interested only in an 8 channel solution because I'm running speaker crossover software (ASIO) within the source. Notwithstanding its simplicity, for me USB wasn't the best strategy to begin with...

In some ways, the REMOTE program for iTunes has spoiled me. Fortunately it works fine on anything that will run iTunes with lossless files. Also satisfactory are the ASRCs in the audio section of Quicktime. ...but in the future I would like to push outputs above their current 96kHz...

Will watch developments with interest. [No hurry on my account.]

Frank

What kind of latency are we talking about and will it be ASIO compatible?

It won't be a device with a driver at all. It will be a small, but powerful host in it's own right. I will be able to connect USB 2.0 storage to it and stream (buffered) directly from that. It can also be connected to a display.

Think smart expandable airplay/squeezbox etc, but made for DIY.

It won't be a device with a driver at all. It will be a small, but powerful host in it's own right. I will be able to connect USB 2.0 storage to it and stream (buffered) directly from that. It can also be connected to a display.

I see, I am going to need very low latency for the real time performance and emulation of virtual instruments. I am guessing that the USB2 ASIO gizmo using the XMOS would do that, but this one would presumably not.

If you haven't got too far already and is doing in pure hardware you could do a simplified linux server running MPD since there are already lots of clients and it works well. Kinda like the Raspberry Pi but geared towards audio.

That's exactly the kind of thing I am going to do.

It will be running linux - this way I can develop more software and less firmware. :)

I am actually thinking I can start with the Raspberry Pi since it exposes GPIOs. If needed I will move on from there. Basically at first I think I will try to utilize Raspberry Pi with a daughter board.

Cheers!
Russ

That's exactly the kind of thing I am going to do.

It will be running linux - this way I can develop more software and less firmware. :)

I am actually thinking I can start with the Raspberry Pi since it exposes GPIOs. If needed I will move on from there. Basically at first I think I will try to utilize Raspberry Pi with a daughter board.

Cheers!
Russ

This is pretty ambitious project! Hope you get it done for next month...! :D

Ciao!
Do

Very ambitious, if you are interested in testers with other (non-RPi) boards then let me know, I have the equiv board based around Ti ARM processor (the beagle bone). :D

I am already working on using beagle bone to drive SPI control for dual mono Opus 2.0 DAC.

RPi - broadcomm
BB - Texas Instruments

Last edited:
Russ/Brian,

I'm disappointed with your priorities.

Back in 2010 you began development of the new SotA USB interface, and since then you have been optimizing the module without getting a product to market. I know you do this as a hobby... But... every time someone asked about the progress... you indicated that you would spend time on it...

During the same period you've been very kind to update the Legato, Buffalo II->III, making new modules like S/P-DIF module, sidecar etc. and supporting the crowd. Great!

I original chose your DAC solution in the hope that I would be able to play 24/192 and I still have this hope. The toslink to my mac is not very optimal and the Buffalo II DAC is only on par with my dead cheap USBDAC based on TDA1543.

Please get the USB-interface to market. You'll easily sell those USB-modules!

:grouphug: :xfingers:

Raspberry-PI seems to me the near future. Paired with an external HD and the living room TV, and having USB, pretty easy to hook up a Buffalo.
I agree with finishing, or at least getting it to market, before going ahead with others. I've been near 2 years waiting for all the components to make a Buffalo dac. I don't want to build it and just "hope" to finish it in some years. A truly good USB interface is what the Buffalo dac lacks, and not a host player.

Russ

Thanks for alll the pre-release info. You have our attention!

As others are saying this sounds like a very different product from the USB interface, possibly a fabulous product, but very different.

I believe you previously indicated the USB interface would be 2-ch only (and not dsd??), anyway. Sounds like the preferred/only USB solution is the exaU2I. I got mine playing in stereo last night ( at 2am, so this morning, actually). Can't report on quality since just a test config so far...

It does 8-ch, all resolutions and DSD 2-ch (in their player) and seems well made.

Other than cost, does that card remove any need for your USB interface?
Was that part of your rational for switching gears?
Although expensive, maybe there's no need for your USB ???
Maybe if/when your USB comes it will have other benefits.
...just asking

Thanks

Please get the USB-interface to market. You'll easily sell those USB-modules!

Keep in mind that, exactly since it's taken them that long, it will not be easy for the TP guys to offer something that doesn't already exist in the USB-SPDIF/I2S market nowadays (and at various price points).
That effort would be better invested in this new Ethernet device, IMHO.

Hi Russ/Brian,

I would encourage you all to finish up and release the USB module, if only for my own self-interest. I don't have any interest in a Squeezebox-esque device, but I do need an upgrade from the TP PCM2707 module I'm using with the COD now.

I could buy Lorien's XMOS board or the exaU2I, but the rest of my DAC is TP (except for the Magnequest output transformers) and from what I gather from this thread your module would best fit what I'm trying to accomplish.

I understand you guys are hobbyists and do what you interests you first and foremost. But, if this module is going to be shelved, whether that decision is made in the near term or in the far off future, I'd appreciate a heads up so I can move on as well.

Regards,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.