TPA - USB Transport - Page 64 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Closed Thread

Old 22nd January 2013, 06:06 PM   #631
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labjr View Post
There doesn't have to be material to use sampling rates above 192 Khz. Software upsampling to higher rates can make other material sound better.
This is a debatable point. Check out the graphs on pages 10 and 11: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1794.pdf

These are "just numbers," but higher THD and lower S/N Ratio at higher sampling rates.

I am not stating a conclusion, just food for thought.

Old 22nd January 2013, 06:19 PM   #632
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
This is a debatable point. Check out the graphs on pages 10 and 11: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1794.pdf

These are "just numbers," but higher THD and lower S/N Ratio at higher sampling rates.

I am not stating a conclusion, just food for thought.
Debatable or not, as many options as possible should be available. Sampling rates are increasing. DSD is becoming popular. Seems like DXD is starting to approach the point of diminishing returns. DSD 256 is the point where the quantization noise moves out of the audio band. So higher the better as far as I can tell.

Old 22nd January 2013, 06:23 PM   #633
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Debatable or not, as many options as possible should be available. Sampling rates are increasing. DSD is becoming popular. Seems like DXD is starting to approach the point of diminishing returns. DSD 256 is the point where the quantization noise moves out of the audio band. So higher the better as far as I can tell.
I agree, but PCM != DSD. I only point out that higher is not always better.

Old 22nd January 2013, 06:30 PM   #634
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There doesn't have to be material to use sampling rates above 192 Khz. Software upsampling to higher rates can make other material sound better.
Having spent time in real project studios I can tell you this only applies when the media is initially digitized. Upsampling after the fact gets you nothing. You simply cannot put back what was never there.

Old 22nd January 2013, 07:27 PM   #635
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
Having spent time in real project studios I can tell you this only applies when the media is initially digitized. Upsampling after the fact gets you nothing. You simply cannot put back what was never there.
I think the reported increase in performance is more to do with the DAC filters employed for higher-bitrate material, not that there is more detail in the data.

Old 22nd January 2013, 08:03 PM   #636
diyAudio Member

Default Yes...

Quote:
I think the reported increase in performance is more to do with the DAC filters employed for higher-bitrate material, not that there is more detail in the data.
As Brian mentions, possible improvements in sonic performance by oversampling in software are the result of the digital filters used by the OS algorythm. For instance, take a 16/44.1 file, and oversample it to 24/352.8 in software and send the oversampled data to the B-III. Now, the B-III will still apply additional oversampling, but any of the oversampling done by the B-III will result in no additional audible artifacts, so what one hears, will be the results of the filtering/oversampling done in the computer. The advantage of this approach is that one can easily try many different types of digital filters, and decide what they think sounds best, rather than being limited by the filters incorporated in the ESS chip. This approach opens up all manner of apodizing and minimum phase approaches, all different filter slopes, etc.
Will it sound better... that is for the user to decide, but it certainly does allow for a lot of options and it is much easier to apply those options in the computer. Some software players, like HQplayer, XXHighend, and Audirvana already have a pretty good selection of different filtering approaches to choose from, and these options are only going to grow in the future.

Old 22nd January 2013, 09:57 PM   #637
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I agree, but PCM != DSD. I only point out that higher is not always better.
I think higher is better when it's done right. But like I've said before, I think there is a point of diminishing returns. But that point is debatable. Logically it would seem to be 352/384 for PCM and DSD256.

However, Robert Watts of Chord Electronics says 768 kHz recordings sound better than 384 kHz and not because of frequency response. He says the brain can detect differences of microseconds in transients. Thus he thinks the number is somewhere around 1 Mhz.

Old 22nd January 2013, 09:59 PM   #638
diyAudio Member

Quote:
However, Robert Watts of Chord Electronics says 768 kHz recordings sound better than 384 kHz and not because of frequency response. He says the brain can detect differences of microseconds in transients. Thus he thinks the number is somewhere around 1 Mhz.
Speakers (generally) cannot, however

Old 23rd January 2013, 12:53 PM   #639
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Also one must remember that the DAC actually measures worse in terms of both noise and distortion as the sample rate goes up... Dustin actually mentioned this himself.

I too am actually not very interested in stuff above 192Khz. Partly because there is so little of it to begin with, and a lot of that is actually not as good as more widely available material.

So in my book support for > 192Khz is still something I am interested in but is not a huge priority.

The new board is coming along well. I am so glad XMOS is still in business and designing better and better parts. This new chip is *far* better in many ways to the old one.

Old 23rd January 2013, 03:17 PM   #640
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think higher is better when it's done right. But like I've said before, I think there is a point of diminishing returns. But that point is debatable. Logically it would seem to be 352/384 for PCM and DSD256.

Maybe you're right and I'm not debating but too many people see or hear things that are in their heads... Trust me there's many examples.

I bet you take that the same song have it well converted over from 24/768 to 24/192 make them hear then take the same song again without them knowing and tell them that it is the 768 version and all of a sudden there's more magic or the other way around and now it is not as good but the same 768 file twice!

Just saying
Do

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!