• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TPA - USB Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will not be the same firmware. It will be optimized firmware and hardware.

It will work on Linux if there is a driver that support USB audio device 2.0.

I simply have not checked into that yet as I will be using it with only mac and windows in the near future.

Ah, sorry for the confusion. I believe that the Linux ALSA driver is now USB Class 2 compliant, which is what I'll verify with the stock xmos board. There are reports of success with xmos as well as the Ayre QB-9 in async mode, so it seems likely to be OK.

I'm planning on getting an TP USB board when available for use under Linux as well and will report on that, but if history is any indication assuming that one will get in on the 'ground floor' of a desirable TP offering can be a poor bet :)

Hi Russ,

In a previous post you said the usb module will do stereo for the first rev ?
Does it mean that the first rev board will be upgradeable later to do multi channels or is it planed for another board ? That is, will we need new firmware for the usb xmos module or a new module ?
I am following my idea to go bi amplification or tri amplification with two or three boards. Does the usb module will be able to drive two boards (i think since it is possible to put two buffalo boards in parallel for one i2s) and what about three boards ?
Ok, the most important point is how to achieve bi amplification or tri amplification.
Thanks for your attention.

Lwi

Hello,

This usb board is great news! I look forward to the outcome.

I would have a question though. Could you please give some details regarding the isolation method? I know there are several discussions regarding isolating usb on various threads here on diyaudio, but no viable solution emerged. Can you share some details?

Thanks and good luck with the development.

Bluetooth usb dongle

Hi,

Russ, is it possible to integrate with your USB transport a Bluetooth sound gateway (like in new home cinema amplituners) using 1$ Bluetooth USB dongle available on ebay? - so we'll able tu use Buffalo DAC wireless!

Marek

P.S.With Bluetooth there is total galvanic isolation ;)

I have seen an adapter that allows you to transport USB over Ethernet, transparent for the end devices (they see it as only an usb cable), so there should be similar solutions for bluetooth or wifi.

What scared me is the lowish data rate for bluetooth. Anybody knows what is the maximum data rate in an standard enviroment? I am not meaning in theory, but in practice.

Regards,
Regi

Well...

Yeah, light peak should be great if they don't mess the protocols and if we can get an accurate clock out of it.

Any word on that usb isolator you plan using?

I would not expect to ever get an accurate clock from a computer! This is why asynchronous computer interfaces (USB, FireWire, ethernet) are so important for audio: no reliance on the computer clocks whatsoever.
Light Peak will have a good advantage with isolation, but more speed/bandwidth is no advantage over what is already possible with USB2, Firewire, and ethernet. The question will become whether someone can implement an asynchronous audio interface through Light Peak.

If multiple protocols can be used over Light Peak then I imagine Firewire and USB will be among them along with their async modes . And if Apple is the first to have this I'm sure they're pushing the interface for audio/video production. Isolation is one of the advantages but so is distance. One can have their computer in another room away from the DAC.

A little idea...

You've probably already thought about this but in case you haven't here is my suggestion =)

Expose volume management to outside the chip, so that it could be used with hardware volume attenuator like for example the Joshua Tree.

Example use case of why:

Billy has an mpd setup for his audio, Billy uses his smartphone app as a remote but wants to change volume. Billy changes the volume through the smartphone app instead of picking up another remote to control volume with.

Another advantage would be that generic usb-based volume management gadgets could be used.

// Olle

Status
Not open for further replies.