TPA - USB Transport - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Closed Thread

Old 19th April 2012, 08:15 PM   #521
diyAudio Member

Hmm, no USB to i2s ... another BII owner is dissapointed.

Do i understand it right ? The work on the USB module has been stopped and something like Squeezebox on raspberry pi got a priority ?

Even if this kind of device will appear, what about software to control it ?

What about remote control - Android app ?

Old 20th April 2012, 08:39 AM   #522
diyAudio Member

The interesting fact is how to connect it without already having released the USB module

Old 20th April 2012, 11:52 AM   #523
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinski View Post
Hmm, no USB to i2s ... another BII owner is dissapointed.

Do i understand it right ? The work on the USB module has been stopped and something like Squeezebox on raspberry pi got a priority ?

Even if this kind of device will appear, what about software to control it ?

What about remote control - Android app ?
If it's based on MPD which when you already use linux would be the obvious choice that problem is solved already.

MPD is a network based server-client music player where there are working and polished clients for almost all platforms imaginable, so no problem for iOS android windows OSX or if you run linux. http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Clients

( I use MPD myself and has done for years though I'm currently only using it locally though I have plans to move it to an external player.)

Old 20th April 2012, 12:56 PM   #524
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Hey Guys, I just want to be clear. I am *not* canning the USB project!!! Far from it.

I know its been a long time coming but I have to work my design time around my day job.

The Linux host project will be a separate project I just think it has some better long term prospects that is all.

Old 20th April 2012, 01:17 PM   #525
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
Hey Guys, I just want to be clear. I am *not* canning the USB project!!! Far from it.

I know its been a long time coming but I have to work my design time around my day job.

The Linux host project will be a separate project I just think it has some better long term prospects that is all.
OK, i will wait for usb interface

Something like raspbery pi with one 2.5" usb drive for music library connected to Buffalo with usb-i2s ? or ?

Some more details will be great , or it is a top secret project ...

I am sure many (not only diy) audiophiles will welcome a product similar to Squeezebox Touch, but without display (for the configuration at the begining one can connect keyboard and display), with i2s output ? (extra TP pcb ?), based on raspberry and dedicated only to non-compromised stereo music reproduction.

Old 20th April 2012, 01:59 PM   #526
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks...

Russ, it is a relief to hear that you plan on completing the USB receiver project.
To those who think currently available solutions are adequate/best: my suspicion is that the TPA USB solution will be better than the solutions currently available for us two channel guys (better oscillators, possibility of using new Tridents for power supplies, etc). Although some existing products are quite good, it is not hard to see how they could be improved in terms of clocking and power supplies (an area where TPA is known to not compromise).

As someone using voyage/mpd now, I am also very interested that Russ is working on his own host solution, this is a really cool development, as he can probably concentrate mostly on the hardware side, and leverage the good work already done by the mpd folks. A simple, low power host running mpd and controlled over LAN made for DIY use is a really cool possibility.

Old 20th April 2012, 02:05 PM   #527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Something like raspbery pi with one 2.5" usb drive for music library connected to Buffalo with usb-i2s ? or ?
I assume a network-based implementation as mentioned above.

Quote:
I am sure many (not only diy) audiophiles will welcome a product similar to Squeezebox Touch, but without display
I'm confused - how would one navigate and choose tracks without a display?

I wonder - is MPD or similar, inherently superior to a USB-i2s conversion? If so, in what way?

Old 20th April 2012, 02:08 PM   #528
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy Moon View Post
I assume a network-based implementation as mentioned above.

I'm confused - how would one navigate and choose tracks without a display?

I wonder - is MPD or similar, inherently superior to a USB-i2s conversion? If so, in what way?
You can navigate and choose tracks using some smartphone app. No display is necessary, maybe only for the initial configration.

I think that TP developpers should start another thread dedicated to this new "TP-squeezebox?-raspberrypi?" project, than we can all discuss about it

Last edited by sinski; 20th April 2012 at 02:11 PM.

Old 20th April 2012, 02:20 PM   #529
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You can navigate and choose tracks using some smartphone app. No display is necessary, maybe only for the initial configration.
What if one doesn't have a smartphone (i.e. me)?

If one has a smartphone - why not play music from that? Isn't Android a form of Linux?

Old 20th April 2012, 02:21 PM   #530
diyAudio Member

Default mpd

mpd is a music player which runs on linux OS. It does not necessarily preclude a USB-I2S interface for the DAC, currently I use a custom music server with a dedicated USB output card, to a B-II based DAC with a USB receiver.
But Russ could make a direct host with I2S output (via the daughter card he mentioned) skipping USB.
mpd is typically controlled by a client via LAN (usually wifi). the beauty of this approach is that Russ does not have to develop music player software, or client software, as this already exists and works very well. I use the Mpad app, running on an Ipad to control my server, and it works flawlessly. There are various clients available to control mpd based players, which will run on smart phones and various tablets, or laptops.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!