• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TPA - USB Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Height?

With all the changes this design has gone through, external power and L2 chip, is it still going to be the same form factor as a Buffalo? And if so, are there any tall components or heatsinks?

I am trying to guesstimate the slimmest enclosure that would allow stacking of the IVY3+B3+Tridents with the new USB module on top to keep all the signal paths really short.

you...

might not want to stack the USB module in such close proximity to the B-III. While having a short I2S run is advisable, 4cm-8cm of wiring will be fine. It may be better to have the USB module at some distance from the DAC and analog circuitry, to avoid excess RF contamination. I will probably sheild the USB module from the DAC/output stage for this reason.

thought of that...

might not want to stack the USB module in such close proximity to the B-III.

My plan is to interleave thin sheets of laminated steel between each layer of the stack, with holes cut where the connectors need to pass through. It will be a fiddly job with the dremel, modified standoffs and mounting the IVY 'upside down'. But it should completely block any stray EMI and it will also move heat away a little faster than without. Finally, by putting it all in the case with the IVY and Placid HD BP facing out, so swapping between IVY and Legato doesn't require pulling absolutely everything appart.

It's probably overkill, but sheet steel is cheap, and I can't find a suitable enclosure to use on the back of open baffle speakers so I am going to have to fab the case anyway. I might as well do it properly and segregate everything.

Also, without stacking it, the USB module would have to fight for space with two Placid HDs and a Placid HD BP since they all want to be near that end of the B3-IVY3 too.

My layout ideas are getting very 3D. I have a cunning plan to mount the transistors of the Placids and Sympaticos on the reverse side of the PCBs, fold them 90deg and mount them on massive heatsinks.

Anyhow, this is well off topic, what I really want to know is the height of the tallest component on the new USB board.

Last edited:
COOL

My plan is to interleave thin sheets of laminated steel between each layer of the stack, with holes cut where the connectors need to pass through. It will be a fiddly job with the dremel, modified standoffs and mounting the IVY 'upside down'. But it should completely block any stray EMI and it will also move heat away a little faster than without. Finally, by putting it all in the case with the IVY and Placid HD BP facing out, so swapping between IVY and Legato doesn't require pulling absolutely everything appart.

It's probably overkill, but sheet steel is cheap, and I can't find a suitable enclosure to use on the back of open baffle speakers so I am going to have to fab the case anyway. I might as well do it properly and segregate everything.

Also, without stacking it, the USB module would have to fight for space with two Placid HDs and a Placid HD BP since they all want to be near that end of the B3-IVY3 too.

My layout ideas are getting very 3D. I have a cunning plan to mount the transistors of the Placids and Sympaticos on the reverse side of the PCBs, fold them 90deg and mount them on massive heatsinks.

Anyhow, this is well off topic, what I really want to know is the height of the tallest component on the new USB board.

Interesting approach! I look forward to seeing the results of this build.

might not want to stack the USB module in such close proximity to the B-III. While having a short I2S run is advisable, 4cm-8cm of wiring will be fine. It may be better to have the USB module at some distance from the DAC and analog circuitry, to avoid excess RF contamination. I will probably sheild the USB module from the DAC/output stage for this reason.

None of this should be an issue when we are done. We will also provide guidance on preventing noise if it is an issue. Really, the whole point to balanced gear is it immunity to such interference.

:cheers: Now that's some good news indeed.
I'm sure there will be a few suggestions for displays etc. It's been a long wait, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

OLED would be my pick. Normal OLEDs require a driver that would take a while to code or cost a bomb to buy. Luckily some of the most recent OLED products now come with a built in character map, these are lower resolution devices that are aimed solely at replacing the standard LCD/Vac-fluorescent alphanumeric displays, but either cost less or look far better.

Solomon-Systec released a driver called the SSD1311 a couple of months ago with a nifty video showing it off. I am yet to see it used in any purchasable product, but I am eagerly awaiting one as it looks like a prime candidate for an easily implemented premium display.

New USN module

AC2! Yeah baby!!!

I badly want this new USB module.

Is the new USB module using galvanic isolation to shield from the PC?
Will it support ASIO and/or WASAPI? What about DSD audio format and what will be the max sampling rate?

=== off topic === :D
Does anyone has an idea if I want to switch between IVY III and Legato 3.1 in a dual mono scenario? I would use relays to automate but what would be the type of wires for best signal quality and max length?

Thanks
Do

I2S connection suggestion...

Hi Russ,

Looking at the new B-III DAC board, it appears that TPA is adopting IDC/ribbon cable as the preferred method of hooking things up. Recently I have been investigating the different wiring options for I2S lines, and came across the U.FL approach. It appears to me that U.FL micro BNC style jacks and pre made cable might be very good options for I2S connections. I suggest that you consider the option of U.FL connection for I2S lines between boards-in the US, jacks and premade cables are available from Digikey.
Additionally, the more I find out about I2S isolation, the more I am thinking it may be better to not isolate the I2S lines, as every approach appears to add considerable jitter (GMRs, LAN transformers, etc). Just something to think about... I am sure you have been considering many options.
Looking forward to the product!

Have already looked into that, but disregarded it after some testing and for practical reasons. In the end there was not *any* tangible benefit to justify the cost. Also because one does not know exactly how modules will be installed a certain degree of flexibility needs to be provided. The .1" headers do that nicely and with GND wire between each signal isolation is actually very good. The lines are properly terminated for TTL, so all is good. :)

Cool...

Have already looked into that, but disregarded it after some testing and for practical reasons. In the end there was not *any* tangible benefit to justify the cost. Also because one does not know exactly how modules will be installed a certain degree of flexibility needs to be provided. The .1" headers do that nicely and with GND wire between each signal isolation is actually very good. The lines are properly terminated for TTL, so all is good. :)

It is good to know that you considered this approach. I assume you looked at the signal integrity with .1" headers, and everything looked good, with nice sharp squares then. With the B-III it appears connection will be easy by IDC/ribbon-hope us B-II stalwarts will have an easy DAC end solution for direct I2S direct (I prefer no intermediate module-USB input only DAC).

Status
Not open for further replies.