Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 3rd February 2011, 10:12 AM   #311
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

I'm sure that Russ/Brian picked this point for the dual-mono ground as it is central and happened to be there on the IVYIII (I think the header is for connecting to the Opus or COD dacs). On Legato this header is not there so we will just have to pick another ground point....
I'm using a set of Ventus for I/V conversion and wondering if to take the ground to XLR connection from the Legato or one of the Ventus...
Probably makes no difference at all so it is all about making a unqualified decision...
Old 10th February 2011, 09:51 AM   #312
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure if it's placebo effect but when I connect both outputs (balanced to my preamp & single ended to my headphone amp) the Legato seems to sound better, there is an explication?
Old 10th February 2011, 10:14 AM   #313
diyAudio Member

Sound better using what acoustic source? Speakers or headphones?
Or both at the same time
Old 10th February 2011, 11:45 AM   #314
diyAudio Member

Both at the same time.
Old 10th February 2011, 04:18 PM   #315
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
I'm not sure if it's placebo effect but when I connect both outputs (balanced to my preamp & single ended to my headphone amp) the Legato seems to sound better, there is an explication?
It may not be your imagination, as mine behaves that way too. With my system, if I connect balanced only to my headphone amp, the system has no signal 0v to ground connection, ie it is floating. When I connect the SE output to my amp, the amp has a signal ground to earth connection. I have concluded that one needs to connect the signal 0v to the supply ground somewhere in the system.

I will likely a toggle switch to the Buffalo with a signal ground to supply ground (via say a 20ohm resistor), to allow me use either option when connecting up, since a permanent connection would mean a possible earth loop when connected to my amp otherwise.

Regards
Old 11th February 2011, 02:00 AM   #316
diyAudio Member

There should always be a power ground connection but ideally only one low resistance path between each piece of gear, unless full galvanic isolation transformers are used for every interconnection.

I am starring from the Placid Bipolar to each board and to the chassis with heavy gauge short connections. All balanced audio and digital pin 1 connections are taken directly to the chassis. For least noise and potential problems these ground connections should not be brought all the way to the audio boards. The unbalanced outputs are returned to the individual Ventus boards to keep the loop as small as possible. Everything sounds great and is completely silent.
Old 11th February 2011, 10:00 AM   #317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC700 View Post
It may not be your imagination, as mine behaves that way too. With my system, if I connect balanced only to my headphone amp, the system has no signal 0v to ground connection, ie it is floating. When I connect the SE output to my amp, the amp has a signal ground to earth connection. I have concluded that one needs to connect the signal 0v to the supply ground somewhere in the system.

I will likely a toggle switch to the Buffalo with a signal ground to supply ground (via say a 20ohm resistor), to allow me use either option when connecting up, since a permanent connection would mean a possible earth loop when connected to my amp otherwise.

Regards
A balanced conection (XLR) has 4 conductors. Signal +, the inverted -, a third wire for ground and the fourth is the outter shield, ground too.
What did you do with those two grounds?
Old 11th February 2011, 10:45 AM   #318
diyAudio Member

In my experience it is best to keep chassis and signal grounds separate if possible. Chassis connected to safety ground from the power plug.
The XLR shield connected to chassis and the ground wire to the floating signal ground. In this way safety ground works like a shield around the entire circuit and interconnects - without having the signal ground galvanically connected to hair-driers, washing machines, microwave ovens etc.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:29 AM   #319
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMac View Post
In my experience it is best to keep chassis and signal grounds separate if possible. Chassis connected to safety ground from the power plug.
The XLR shield connected to chassis and the ground wire to the floating signal ground. In this way safety ground works like a shield around the entire circuit and interconnects - without having the signal ground galvanically connected to hair-driers, washing machines, microwave ovens etc.

We agree on that

What I conclude from his post is that he is not using any ground at all.
Old 11th February 2011, 11:31 AM   #320
diyAudio Member

So there is an explanation: ground loop?

Will be perfect if Russ or Brian could enlightning about the best way to avoid it.

Hide this!Advertise here!