• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Legato Tweakers Thread...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
folks have their Legatos now, lets hear some news. Here is what I am up to:
Balanced only, going to run from a single Placid BP. After having a look at the schematic I decided to eliminate as many steel leaded parts as I could, and do some other parts changes:
R5-8 will be "naked" Z-foils, the other .25 Watt resistors will be PRP. Caps, C9,10,13-15 will be Elna Silmic II (yes, one must get creative to fit them). C19-22 will be Amtrans. After searching for output coupling caps that will fit neatly in my chassis design, and (hopefully) be quite transparent, I have selected Mundorf Zn, 2.7 UF 100 V film/foil caps. The Zns are not cheap, but they cost nothing compared to a good interconnect. I am jumping the board cap mounts, and will wire the Zns to the terminal outputs and then directly to the XLRs.
I still have not decided if I am going to use the buffer stage or not. Russ advises not to with my partnering gear, and I know from a numbers perspective he is right, but I also like the idea of super low output impedance. Anyone have any feedback on whether or not the buffer stage is a good idea?

Barrows, are you happy with this parts tweak?

From other people´s experience it is not a good idea to use ceramic caps in the signal path.
But your experience might vary.

I tried russion teflons, which gave a smooth and lean sound. I liked it at first but after switching to wima mkp10, I realized that it was quite boring. Some people also use Panasonic ECHU SMD caps with good results, which have minimal parasitic inductance due to their small size.

From other people´s experience it is not a good idea to use ceramic caps in the signal path.
But your experience might vary.

I tried russion teflons, which gave a smooth and lean sound. I liked it at first but after switching to wima mkp10, I realized that it was quite boring. Some people also use Panasonic ECHU SMD caps with good results, which have minimal parasitic inductance due to their small size.

Thank you for sharing. Your experience with the Russian Teflons matches mine. They aren't bad, but seem to take some "life" out of the sound.

The Panasonic ECHU are interesting, I'll definitely look into it. I normally avoid messing with the PCB though, and adding legs seem to defeat the purpose.

I have had good results with C0G/NP0 caps, but they are limited to small values. I know people will disagree with that, but they have the right to be wrong :)

I have some polystyrene in either 10nF or 15nF (need to check) that I was experimenting with. Good results, but the supply was too unreliable to make kits with. Plus, I really like the Wima FKS.

Hi Brian,

I believe you! The C0G/NP0 caps are one of a kind. I had my doubts, until a good friend of mine used one at the output of his Shigaclone transport. It's not just good, but better than the much pricier "big boys", V-Cap CuTF and Soshin SE99!

However, I've never used or heard one in an analog line stage before. Which brand/part did you use? How would you describe the sound, and do they match up to the oft-used film&foil for this application?

Thank you in advance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.