Legato Tweakers Thread... - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 1st November 2010, 12:15 PM   #101
needsp is offline needsp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ, avr300

I've tried removing the 15n caps too. Leo first tried this, and was astonished how much better it sounded. As was I. (I'm using just CD source material).

Several other people have heard the same. It really isn't subtle. But I nearly didn't try it on the basis that, even if the filtering did no good, it could, in theory, do no harm, so why not leave it in.

Well it seems theory is deficient. I've no idea what's going on here, but I like it!
Old 1st November 2010, 12:23 PM   #102
needsp is offline needsp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi francolargo

Quote:
I am using Auricaps, which don't even remotely fit the board but have nice multistranded flexible leads. For a number of years I've been using them wherever transparency is needed. But just tonight I discovered something I didn't know about them (plus a review confirming small polarity effects):

* In signal path applications the black lead is "in" and the red lead is "out."

* In power supplies the black lead should be connected to ground and the red lead to the + or - voltage.

*In loudspeaker crossovers the red lead should be connected toward the + terminal on the drive unit.

Huh? Any comments on this by the "cognoscenti"? My caps are apparently in backwards because before reading this I would never have soldered a black lead into a location labeled "plus" and vice versa for red leads! I'll try changing them the next time I have everything apart...
It's to maintain optimum screening (I assume- ask Auricap). In a cylindrically wound cap, it minimises stray signal pickup if the outer foil is connected to the path with lowest impedance to ground. This marked by the black wire (Hovland caps were the same, only with a green wire). Usually, for a coupling cap, this means that the red wire should be connected to the output terminals, and the black to the circuit driving it

Paul
Old 1st November 2010, 02:40 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

For wound film caps there in some instances a marking, in your case the lead color, that designates the outer foil, so there are instances (in theory) where it may be better to have the outer foil connected one way around.

I suspect that in practice in makes little or no difference.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by francolargo View Post
I am using Auricaps, which don't even remotely fit the board but have nice multistranded flexible leads. For a number of years I've been using them wherever transparency is needed. But just tonight I discovered something I didn't know about them (plus a review confirming small polarity effects):

* In signal path applications the black lead is "in" and the red lead is "out."

* In power supplies the black lead should be connected to ground and the red lead to the + or - voltage.

*In loudspeaker crossovers the red lead should be connected toward the + terminal on the drive unit.

Huh? Any comments on this by the "cognoscenti"? My caps are apparently in backwards because before reading this I would never have soldered a black lead into a location labeled "plus" and vice versa for red leads! I'll try changing them the next time I have everything apart...
Old 1st November 2010, 03:16 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Default What sonic difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsp View Post
Hi Russ, avr300

I've tried removing the 15n caps too. Leo first tried this, and was astonished how much better it sounded. As was I. (I'm using just CD source material).

Several other people have heard the same. It really isn't subtle. But I nearly didn't try it on the basis that, even if the filtering did no good, it could, in theory, do no harm, so why not leave it in.

Well it seems theory is deficient. I've no idea what's going on here, but I like it!
Could you possibly explain the sonic difference heard without the 15 nF caps? I guess that these are part of an analog filter stage, to remove out of band artifacts-what are the ramifications of allowing these artifacts through?
Russ: what might be the R that applies to these caps for filtering, perhaps raising the corner frequency some might provide sonic benefits without eliminating this filter alltogether?
Old 1st November 2010, 04:10 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Basically the filter is formed between output impedance of the I/V stage (which is dominated by the I/V resistor) and the cap. In the stock configuration (150R I/V) the corner is about 65khz. The filter is 1st order.

If you increase the I/V resistor you will get a lower corner. For example 357R would get about 30khz corner.

The presence and value of the cap are totally up to the user. Though I would never suggest omitting it.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 1st November 2010, 04:37 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks!

Russ. That's exactly what I need to know.
Old 1st November 2010, 04:40 PM   #107
Spev is offline Spev  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's bizarre though that so many have subjectively come to the same conclusion, that a whole load more HF info is getting through without the 15nf cap, and that the circuit sounds somewhat strangled with it in place?
Old 1st November 2010, 04:59 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spev View Post
It's bizarre though that so many have subjectively come to the same conclusion, that a whole load more HF info is getting through without the 15nf cap, and that the circuit sounds somewhat strangled with it in place?
For what it's worth, nobody I have asked has ever made such comments. I would take anything like that with a grain of salt. I am not saying people aren't being honest, just that my experience is definitely not the same.
Old 1st November 2010, 05:04 PM   #109
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Pleasant distortion ?
Old 1st November 2010, 05:08 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

The filter will indeed reduce high order distortion as well as increase dynamic range by excluding some noise.

Hide this!Advertise here!