Legato or IVY III outputs for Buffalo II? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 3rd August 2010, 08:03 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Sorry, that was a mistake. Placid BP is in stock (fixed) but the transformers are out of stock.
Old 3rd August 2010, 08:11 PM   #42
triode4 is offline triode4  United States
diyAudio Member

I geuss I need to ask your opinion. Should I wait to place the order for the power supply until the transformers come in? I wouldn't really need all these being shipped seperately. Can you also put a stop on sending out the legato and volumite so they can all be shipped together? For that matter, I can wait until the Buff II is in stock, Mine is due to arrive in September.
Old 3rd August 2010, 08:13 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Let's go to email.
Old 3rd August 2010, 08:24 PM   #44
triode4 is offline triode4  United States
diyAudio Member

PM sent with email address
Old 4th August 2010, 02:14 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Default legato Ac coupling caps

Dear Russ,
nowdays there is a big effort, often justified at the ears, to eliminate capacitors on the signal path. And... especially electrolytics!

Now I would like to know if it is possible to eliminate the two 100uF AC coupling capacitors at the outputs of the Legato.

Will not the bipolar power supply (and the circuit) give already a low offset? How low at the balanced outputs?

Which solution you could eventually suggest? (but no transformer please)

Thank you in advance,
GM
Old 4th August 2010, 02:22 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

to Brian or Russ

Sorry... I forgot... last question...

Is there any chance to eliminate the IC and use another circuit or to convert balanced to unbalanced output?

You developed a top performance discrete circuit, but who has got only unbalanced devices, should go unfotunately for an IC stage.

And I think that lot of audiophiles has got only unbalanced devices... (see for ex. Vacuum tube ones, but not only)

Are you thinking to develop such a modification?

Thanks again!
Old 4th August 2010, 03:07 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Perhaps it would be better to upgrade to balanced gear
Old 4th August 2010, 04:07 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Thanks Brian, I've got it...

And what about the first question (capacitors?) posted by me?

Thanks in advance,
GM
Old 4th August 2010, 04:16 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
The circuit is designed such that capacitors will be necessary unless you use a transformer. But you are free to use whatever capacitors you like. You can just use them off the board. This has always been the intent. If you want big film caps you would just use them at the outputs.

There is another circuit called "Counterpoint II" which uses a folded cascode and does not require an coupling capacitor.

The legato quite simply is just another type of circuit. It cannot be DC coupled. You will just need to understand that. It sounds incredible, and I don't think you will care once you actually hear it.

I don't personally use SE gear at all.

If you want you can omit the BAL/SE stage and go into 2 Ventus configured as BAL->SE converter. The Ventus is discrete.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 4th August 2010, 04:40 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Default Coupling caps

I personally am going to try using "Zen" film caps from northcreekmusic.com. I got 4.7 uF 225V, these are medium size (compared to high dollar monsters like Mundorf Silver/Oil) and their leads will connect directly from PCB to XLR output jacks. I am going into a preamp at 20 k per phase, so 4.7 uF should be fine. But you could not use low values like this into lower impedances. A transformer would be an approach to avoid the caps; of course a transformer will introduce its own set of sonic values. I might try transformer coupling at some point as well... balanced all the way through here...

Last edited by barrows; 4th August 2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: adding something...grammar..

Hide this!Advertise here!