Buffalo II & transformers - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 8th November 2011, 02:14 PM   #211
diyAudio Member

for Option D, i would think that the DCR of the 600:600 is not crucial due to the 3ohm resistors in parallel to it.. but how would a higher DCR eg. 200Ohm affect Option C or even B against the recommended 100ohm DCR ?
Old 13th November 2011, 02:10 PM   #212
diyAudio Member

I have finally connected the synchronous Buffalo2 to the SDTrans384 running version 17 and 3.11. I am now also using the Feastrex urushi-treated transformers with the Caddock TF020 4k02 Tetrinox resistor, the Reliable Capacitor 10n Teflon and Tin foil capacitor as transformer load, cryod purest solid core copper wire, and solid core cotton insulated silver wire together with Furutech rhodium RCA connectors. The Buffalo2 has no Tridents. SDtrans and Buffalo2 are powered by separate transformers+rectifiers+regulators.

Music has never sounded as good as this before! Most notably, the music swings, that is, the music makes my feet tap automatically, and sounds organic. Stereo depth/front/sideways has increased. And, there is a blackness of the background and in between instruments that is awesome. Sibilants (for ex s-sounds) sound non irritating (when the recording is not too bad). Voices are fantastic. It is easier to hear individual voices in a choir, and the echo of Mark Knopfler´s voice in "Private Investigation" is easier to pick out.

During playback of one of my reference songs, the saxophone sounded as it stood just to the left of me - I almost fell of my chair. Almost scary.

The only weakness I find is that the bass could have a bit more weight but maybe I need to get bigger speakers instead.

Bunpei - thank you very much for bringing me the SDTrans and Feastrex transformers!

/Staccatiss
Old 13th November 2011, 03:57 PM   #213
diyAudio Member

Some images attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staccatiss View Post
I have finally connected the synchronous Buffalo2 to the SDTrans384 running version 17 and 3.11. I am now also using the Feastrex urushi-treated transformers with the Caddock TF020 4k02 Tetrinox resistor, the Reliable Capacitor 10n Teflon and Tin foil capacitor as transformer load, cryod purest solid core copper wire, and solid core cotton insulated silver wire together with Furutech rhodium RCA connectors. The Buffalo2 has no Tridents. SDtrans and Buffalo2 are powered by separate transformers+rectifiers+regulators.

Music has never sounded as good as this before! Most notably, the music swings, that is, the music makes my feet tap automatically, and sounds organic. Stereo depth/front/sideways has increased. And, there is a blackness of the background and in between instruments that is awesome. Sibilants (for ex s-sounds) sound non irritating (when the recording is not too bad). Voices are fantastic. It is easier to hear individual voices in a choir, and the echo of Mark Knopfler´s voice in "Private Investigation" is easier to pick out.

During playback of one of my reference songs, the saxophone sounded as it stood just to the left of me - I almost fell of my chair. Almost scary.

The only weakness I find is that the bass could have a bit more weight but maybe I need to get bigger speakers instead.

Bunpei - thank you very much for bringing me the SDTrans and Feastrex transformers!

/Staccatiss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03183-2.jpg (110.1 KB, 806 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03177-2.jpg (198.9 KB, 786 views)
Old 13th November 2011, 09:01 PM   #214
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
The only weakness I find is that the bass could have a bit more weight
Try a pair of resistors, depending on the configuration of the Buffalo and how many DACs are in parallel, 330R (4 Stereo) of 100-180R (8 Mono) from either phase to ground - the tonal balance and weight should improve in any system. It's only a pair of resistors, nothing to loose.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 14th November 2011, 09:00 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertob View Post
Hi all
I have ridden a BII with an output stage Legato v3. It sounds fantastic!

I'm thinking add a valve output stage. Something like "Minimax DAC PLUS". I think this dac does change through relays.
Hi Al

Somebody should really try this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Gain of tube stage of about 50 should give you near 1.5V RMS output.

Cheers, Joe R.
Old 14th November 2011, 10:48 AM   #216
diyAudio Member

Hi JOE,
thanks for your reply, but do not quite understand your graphic.
My question is about the relays in the signal path between the dac and output stage.
Old 14th November 2011, 03:47 PM   #217
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Staccatiss if you will have a quite large capacity on the AVCC pins of the ESS9018, then you will have that bass you want/wish. And even more...
As I understood, you do not use Trident. If you use serial regulators for Buffalo, then you can just proceed with this suggestion.
You can just solder some extra ceramic caps (100µ/6V) over the existing ones on the Buffalo board. Or in the way you can see in my picture of the first post in my thread. You can solder together in a pack few or more such ceramic caps and then attach the packs over the existing caps for AVCC pins. It could be enough with two packs on each side of the chip.
I do not have your audio system configuration, but with mine (quite simple one, and hand made), I can well recognize your described sound (scene). I just wonder how it could sounds your system with the proposed above solution...

Last edited by Coris; 14th November 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 21st November 2011, 09:08 PM   #218
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
Hi Al

Somebody should really try this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Gain of tube stage of about 50 should give you near 1.5V RMS output.

Cheers, Joe R.
What is the purpose of the transformer if you have voltage output?
Old 22nd November 2011, 03:07 AM   #219
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
It converts balanced working to single ended.

It acts as an HF filter . . . .

Also some people like the sound of transformers
Old 22nd November 2011, 09:49 AM   #220
WDYSUN is offline WDYSUN  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
It converts balanced working to single ended.

It acts as an HF filter . . . .

Also some people like the sound of transformers
what would happen if you don't have the tube stage in the schema, but ths signal would go with a short wire to a buffered tube preamp with a short wire? Would the trafo output still work ?

Best
Pierre

Hide this!Advertise here!