Buffalo II & transformers - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 19th October 2010, 01:29 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDYSUN View Post
is the difference between the two dacs that drammatic? And if yes, what are the relevant parameters based on which you judge the BUffalo to be superior?

Best
Pietro
Well, the parameters are 'does it make my music sound better' kind of parameters. I could waffle about soundstage, imaging and some such subjective descriptions but at the end of the day - the Buffalo makes music sound better.

Which it should anyway. The fact that it sounds better than the Gigaworks DAC isn't surprising considering the Buffalo is very carefully and thoughtfully designed with high quality SMD components and features that have been decided on by hours of extensive listening form Russ and Brian. The output stage is the IVY 3, which is again carefully selected and designed all powered by the excellent Placid power supplies.

The Gigawork DAC on the other hand has been hastily assembled using whatever old stock components are available at the time and has a very questionable power supply and regulator section. The fact that it does sound so good in the first place is testament to the Cirrus Logic chipset and their application note circuits. The Giga DAC only really shines when a lot of modification is done to the output and power / regulation sections.
Old 24th October 2010, 09:56 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDYSUN View Post
is the difference between the two dacs that drammatic? And if yes, what are the relevant parameters based on which you judge the BUffalo to be superior?

Best
Pietro
Indeed VERY DRAMATIC OK I have never herd the big board giga dac just small one but Buffalo is another universe

Old 8th January 2011, 09:10 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

Have you received an answer to this? Anyone else care to answer?

JD
Quote:
Originally Posted by manamanam View Post
Hello everybody,

Did enybody try output transformers with two buffalo II as dual mono ?

In dual mono mode i see (from the connection diagram with the IVY) that all 4 output signals (OUT_R+, OUT_R-, OUT_L+, OUT_L-) are used per channel, instead of 2 output signals per channel in stereo mode .
What would be the transformer connection diagram then?
Old 20th January 2011, 10:06 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Has anybody connected Jensen JT-11-EMCF to BII ?

At the moment i have a gigaworks dac with Jensens, now thinking about Buffalo with Jensens...
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:57 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

Jeffrey, As I understand dual mono, two Buf modules can simply be paralleled into one pair of transformers.

I'm two days into a Buf II with Tridents and Placid PS into 1:2 Audio Consulting New Silver Rock transformers buffered with LME49600, all on SLA battery power. This is a righteous sounding combination.

Can anyone describe what they hear with dual mono vs. one Buffalo? Tough to leave well enough alone.
Old 5th February 2011, 12:04 PM   #136
sjalloq is offline sjalloq  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sjalloq
David,

are you using the LME49600 to drive headphones? How have you set it up?

Thanks.
Old 5th February 2011, 02:56 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

The step-up transformers are followed with 4x LME49600 to XLR output of CDP. The buffers can be used in this manner as a reflective load or alternatively on the primary side. Either way this is a good way to operate the Sabre chip in voltage mode and combine the advantage of galvanic separation with current drive. This sounds in every way superior to transformers sans buffers.

Sonic performance of the monolithic buffers depends on quality of PS and bypassing. I use low impedance +/-12V SLA batteries with lots of capacitance, and triple bypass each power pin with 1500uf ZL Rubycon electrolytic, .1uf Russian polystyrene, and .01uf Russian teflon. I have not tried them with the Placid regs.

Last edited by David Garretson; 5th February 2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 5th February 2011, 05:44 PM   #138
joemana is offline joemana  United States
diyAudio Member

If you guys want the transformer output, you should try this one.
audio-talk :: View topic - Buffalo DAC output stage

I started my Bufallo II with IVY III, then replaced IVY with Lampizator output stage, the guy selling the Lampizator board had a glowing review with the Salas Shunt regulator injected to B+ of the Lampizator, so I did try, maybe my ears is not sensitive enough to hear the good stuff and still not satisfied, then I modified the Lampizator and hooked the circuit above link. I like the sounds of Buf better with the output stage link above. The instruments are clearer so with the vocals.

Joe
Old 6th February 2011, 06:45 AM   #139
gioz is offline gioz  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Garretson View Post
Jeffrey, As I understand dual mono, two Buf modules can simply be paralleled into one pair of transformers.

I'm two days into a Buf II with Tridents and Placid PS into 1:2 Audio Consulting New Silver Rock transformers buffered with LME49600, all on SLA battery power. This is a righteous sounding combination.

Can anyone describe what they hear with dual mono vs. one Buffalo? Tough to leave well enough alone.
Hi David,
what kind of battery do you use with buffalo?
Do you have connected the battery directly to placid without modification?
Old 6th February 2011, 11:08 AM   #140
diyAudio Member

Gioz, I use a 95AH Enersys Odyssey PC2150 to supply Placid and the entire CDP including transport except for the SS buffers, which can run on smaller +/- batteries. The Odyssey was chosen for its AH reserves, deep-cycle capability, and low 2 milliohm internal resistance. In this application it drains .2V in a long evening. I attached the battery to some gold pins inserted in through-holes at the output side of the vacated rectifier position on Placid.

Hide this!Advertise here!