• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does the exa have spdif out in so that you can compare directly? Here I have compared it directly with the i2s and spdif outs on both the Loriens WaveIO and M2Tech Evo. On both accounts, i2s was s definite step up and worth the effort. Not night and day, but certainly one step closer. Interestingly, the spdif switch on the BII doesn't change a thing. Maybe I just misunderstand it.

Hi

The EXA does not offer SPDIF output (nothing to be gained there). I used a modded Hiface spdif interface as my benchmark. It was pretty good, but the USB/I2S was always likely to beat it. The only slight downside of the Exa is the proprietary ASIO driver which limits (but not hugely) the software players I can use with the Exa. Jplay and XXHighend (whatever you might think of those) are not supportable.

I am about to revisit my aging B24 with the Hiface and build that up to working again for headphone use. It'll give me some options to play with.

Mark

So I picked up a exadevices USB to I2S card. Planning on using it in a four channel configuration with two Buffalo's. Can the volumite control the volume correctly in a four channel setup using two boards if one board has the address header shorted? Or, are there other bits of code in the firmware that makes it only work for dual mono?

That is, if I short one boards address header, and keep both boards DIP sw1 set to on for stereo, will the volumite correctly set the volume of both Buffalo's?

Awesome, thanks Brian. On the subject of parts, one of my regulators seems to be borked. I don't know which. Maybe I should just replace all?

They seem to be LT1763CS8-3.3/LT1763IS8-3.3 and LT1763CS8/LT1763IS8 (not sure what the difference is between I and C).

Maybe easier to use Tridents? Or try replacing and use Tridents if my soldering isn't up to it?

Perhaps a kindly soul will sell me some of their old Tridents.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a serious problem with my new waveio and BII.

When playing music (sound quality is phantastic) from time to time the DAC Buffalo II is probaly loosing lock (lock led it turning off sometimes for a moment) and some digital noise, something like a noise wave and digital distortion appears for 1 or 2 seconds, than there is a music again, sometimes the noise wave is followed by silence (BII is muting ?) Sometimes it is every 5-20 seconds. It is similar to fm noise, not very loud.

1. It is not a power supply issue - i tried three different power supplies for waveio. The Twisted Pear Placid ps is set for 5.1V/420mA/80mA shunt. I tried also voltage between 4.9 and 5.3, higher current until 650mA, no change. Measured voltage and current when playing music, voltage is absolutely stable, current is changing a little depending on file format. Used two different multimeters. Waveio is consuming around ~380mA.

2. It is not a problem of the source - the behaviour is absolutely the same with Windows XP and W7 notebooks and Squeezebox Touch with Triode plugins.

3. It is not depending on the file format - it happens when playing internet radio, 16/44.1, 24/88, 24/96 or mp3 files.

4. I checked all connections many times, checked uFl cables, tried different earthing arrangements.

5. i2s connection is OK, checked many times for some broken cable, bad connection, moved cables while playing music, etc. The fourth ufl cable (MCLK) on the picture is just used for the ground connection, only the screen of the cable is connected to gnd on the BII digital input. I also tried separate ground cable from H4 on waveio to gnd on BII digital input, no change.

6. I have impression, that when waveio is cold, than the problems are not so present, later when it becomes warmer, than this waves of digital noise are appearing more frequently.

7. Tried different usb cables - shorter, longer, with&without ferrit clamps, tried three different usb hubs (not necessary) powered and unpowered. All USB 2.0.

8. When i am connecting Buffalo DAC just to one spdif source - SBT or cd drive, than DAC it is working perfect (since nearly two years) without any issues.

On the picture you can see my setup :

IMG_4242a_zpscaf7f078.jpg

IMG_4241a_zps5c83b2aa.jpg

I bought my BII in February 2011 and it was delivered in April 2012.

Is there a possibility, that i need new firmware for my beloved BII ?

I will be very thankfull for any help, i really have no idea what is wrong.

It looks, that i solved the problem.

First thing - Buffalo II DAC has a switch at the digital input. It should be "ON" when you want connect spdif and should be "OFF" when you want connect i2s or dsd. On my dac the switch was in ON position ....

The strange noise dissappeared, but there was a break every 12 seconds when listening to SBT and every 20s when listening to Notebook.

I resetted completely SBT, installed new 7.8 beta firmware, than EDO app and than update to a newest kernel from Triode - all problems dissappeared.

I will test notebook in a few days, but it looks, that my SBT/WaveIO/Buffalo II are now correctly set and adjusted. :D:D:D :hohoho:

Trying to adjust a Placid HDBP for Legato. (and than connect it to BIIISE) I got about 14,4V DC at the output and I'm measuring 378mV between TP-VIN ad TP-CSS. The heatsinks closest to the DC output connector get really hot. Can't touch them. The heatsinks close to the big elco's get hot too but not as hot as the other ones. Is this correct or am I making a mistake?

You are forcing the shunt transistor to shunt all of the current. So yeah it will get really hot. When you have you load using some of the current instead of the shunt element shunting it that transistor/heatsink will be much cooler. Also just a friendly reminder that this type of thing should be taken to the support forum - not here.

Last edited:
Stereo imaging off center

I'm using my BII /IVY for about 1,5 jears now and am very satisfied with it. But there is one anoying problem. The stereo imaging of my BII seems to be slightly off center. It's like the balance is shifted slightly to the left. I checked with multiple sources (waveIO / SPDIF) and multiple amplifiers but the BII or IVY seems to be the problem. All the gain resistors on the IVY are standard and identical on both channels (measured them). The psu's deliver the correct voltages/currents and are shunted on 60ma. Beside this problem the sound is absolute delight. Somebody knows the solution to this issue or can give me some trouble shooting directions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.