• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Russ/Brian,

I am using monoblock amps placed next to the speakers driven by Buffalo dac (with IV stage) via long interconnects. Different interconnects seem to impart different sonic signatures.

I wonder if I can place a current mirror after the dac to buffer the current output, and place the IV stage (Legato/Ivy) at the amplifier side to improve the interconnection (i.e. using current output instead of voltage output connection). What might be the pros/cons of doing this?

No, I can't say I think this is a good idea. Much better just to put the DAC in the monoblocs if you really want direct.

Here is my finished build. No arduino. Atmega16 based controller and the board is my own design. Remote control, Em14 encoder for volume/balance and PWM supplying the LCD backlight for brightness adjustment.

Inside pics can be found from the link. Volume control is not yet implemented in the inside pics as they are so old. Volume knob is attached to the encoder with a 7mm bar going through two ball bearings to get that "high-end feel". Also the encoder was not enough to support the weight of the knob by itself.

small

http://amattsso.1g.fi/kuvat/Audio/DSC_8643_.jpg

Here's a picture that shows what's inside the case. Volume control can also be seen in this one.

medium

http://amattsso.1g.fi/kuvat/Audio/DSC_8683.jpg/full

Hi
I've finished my project of Buffalo DAC. I hang some pictures like always.

Buffalo II is a well implemented in the power supply. When I first tried the Dac surprised me little or no difference it was my last dac (ULTRACURVE). The pleasant surprise came when I install the tridents. A wider scene and a lot of detail. I decided to work on this and I have put regulators "SALAS" low noise throughout the food. I also replaced the trident of the clock by another regulator. All carry a bypass capacitor of Teflon in the most appropriate regulator. With this change the sound gains a lot.

To give a touch of warmth I installed an outlet valve that coexists with the output v3.1 LEGATO. The valves also have a shunt regulator "Rooms" High Voltage. Accept valves 12AX7 and 6N2P type is selected with a switch on the PCB. I tried with some Russian NOS 6n2p and now I am shooting (10 hours) a 12AX7 Psvane Grade To see that such

The two outputs can be selected with a switch. The signal path is as short as possible: 4 cm to 10 cm for legato and the tube. I used Panasonic TQ2-5V relay low signal.

I have yet to be released I2S input on the site of the twisted pear. For now I feed him with a cable spdif optical signal of a MacMini.

In the future I want to do a mono-tube stages and so I left the LEGATO, to select the best solution to go with tube amplification. Nor do I want to move from warmth.

The DAC is controlled by Arduino and access all possible row from Dac: setup and volume. It has two memoirs but easily the code can more, so as to change the welcome message, etc..
The box is completely machined hifi2000 the front (anterior and posterior).

Sorry for my English

Br
AL

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Interesting. I landed on your post searching to see if anyone else was experiencing the loud hiss with 252k tracks. Here's what I'm seeing - I've assembling everything I need for a 3 way double blind comparison between the new Trident V3's, Belleson Super Regulators (1.2, 3.3) and Paul Hynes Regulators (1.2, 3.3).

I've been listening to the Belleson regs listening to 352 tracks via the exaU2I (firmware removed for now). I rolled in the Trident V3, and heard the loud hiss at upper sample rates. After double checking solder joints, etc, I went back to the Belleson's. Quiet as a church mouse.

The Tridents are quiet and play well up to 192K. My I2S leads are very short, and I'm running a 100Mhz Buffalo II.

Whatever's going on, running the Belleson regs completely addresses the issue. Thoughts? I've been trying to get a response as to what I'm giving up without the firmware in (beyond relaxed timing). Maybe that could be a factor.

Was able to play 352.8K tracks without any noise. Critical parameters seem good I2S wiring arrangement, FIR filter set to slow, Quantizer at 8bit true differential.

The only issue is during silence (pause, gap or stop) where instead of silence, I get a loud hiss with very peculiar characteristics:

The level and tone of this hissing sound changes with the volume setting with some settings giving more volume than other settings but not related to the amount of volume attenuation. In addition, FIR sharp filter results in a louder noise than the slow filter. The quantizer bit depth also changes the amount of noise coming from the DAC. The IIR filter and the notch delay don't seem to have any effect.

Any hints as to what is going? I know the upgrade to 100Mhz clock was to resolve some of these issues, but when playing music the 80MHz clock doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Are there any secret register I can use? :)

tech ?

Recently, I am trying a nCore class D amp with my B-II/Legato (direct connection, balanced). For the first time, the noise floor of the amp is below that of the DAC.
Now I find that there is a clakkity/clak sounding floor of my DAC (sounds kind of like a train track sound). Admittedly, this is way down in level, but I think the floor should be smoother than this?
I put the B-II board in mute, and the sound goes away to reveal a smooth, and very low, noise floor of the Legato (nice Russ).
Before I go on, perhaps chasing wild geese, is a spiky noise floor normal for the B-II, or should I continue to investigate further to try and eliminate it?
Thanks for any insight.

A sound like that sounds like it could EMI or some form of HF oscilation (after the IV). That certainly should not actually be coming from the DAC unless for some reason it is enbedded in the digital signal itself, which is possible. It also could be that your amp is very sensitive to HF, and you may need more aggressive low pass filtering. Some class D amps are very prone to this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.