• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Russ,
I would like to change Buf I (lapizied) with exchanged 9008 chip to 9018 chip
into Dual mono Buf II. BUT I would like to make sure there is not a problem to
have tubes in power section and at the output with BUf II.
Is the Buf II board simmilar to Buf I board in terms of possible lampizition process?
Christ

Off the wall question...

I and a friend of mine, both have the first Buffalo kits. Mine has been happily running since I finished the build. My friend built his, and it did not work.

He brought it over, I checked voltages, looked for soldering mistakes, etc... nothing. Then, I pulled my firmware/processor chip out and put it in his. TADA!! It Lives... Put his chip in my Buffalo, nothing.

So, looks like he either got a unprogrammed PIC, or it got spiked with ESD while he was handling it, etc. He emailed once or twice, didnt' get a response, (think it was around Brian's move) and hasn't bugged you guys further.

Rather than wait for him to get over his own problem in not bugging you further, I was thinking of using a PIC programming kit and buying the $1-2 part, and copying mine onto a new blank. Only thing I'm worrying about, is there a copy protect on those particular PIC's, and did you use it?

There, now do I know how to take a long time to get around to a question, or what? :rolleyes:

Thanks...

No we did not use any copy protection on the PIC.

You should be able to copy it. If you like I can even send you the old hex files.

Not that I mind, but this thread is about the Buffalo II, any further conversation about this really should go in the old buffalo thread (just scroll down a bit from our forum index). Actually we can probably handle the rest over email.

Cheers!
Russ

i am waiting for my new-year shipment, consisting of a Buffalo and IVY 3 and some Placids, i prefer a solid powerpack so im gonna run 3 Placids for the IVY (and one for the Dac)

i know the question have been asked before but since im planning to use 4 Placids would it be best to put the Placids in a separate case?
if you recommend putting everything in one box, how far apart must the Placids be from the DAC / IVY and signal lines
If i put the Placids in a separate case, wirering will be longer (probably 1,5ft - 2ft long) but i am planning to use some very good Silkspeak 4mm2 cable to connect the Placids and the IVY / Buffalo.

Ideas appreciated

i know the question have been asked before but since im planning to use 4 Placids would it be best to put the Placids in a separate case?
Since it vastly increases the length of your powerlines I wouldn't do that. Plus it's really not needed, and that's in multiple ways. It's not required if you use a big enclosure, plus the best sonic improvements are going dual mono and using tridents. If you use Trident regulators you don't need a Placid for the DAC board.

i am waiting for my new-year shipment, consisting of a Buffalo and IVY 3 and some Placids, i prefer a solid powerpack so im gonna run 3 Placids for the IVY (and one for the Dac)

if you recommend putting everything in one box, how far apart must the Placids be from the DAC / IVY and signal lines
If i put the Placids in a separate case, wirering will be longer (probably 1,5ft - 2ft long) but i am planning to use some very good Silkspeak 4mm2 cable to connect the Placids and the IVY / Buffalo.

Ideas appreciated

I used a seperate box for the transformers and raw rectification (with CRCRC filtering), then fed the unregulated DC to the box containing Placids and Buffalo (bypassing the Placid rectifier section). I would not put the Placids in a seperate box, you should keep the Placid to IVY lines as short as possible.

Regards

FYI I also used

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Since it vastly increases the length of your powerlines I wouldn't do that. Plus it's really not needed, and that's in multiple ways. It's not required if you use a big enclosure, plus the best sonic improvements are going dual mono and using tridents. If you use Trident regulators you don't need a Placid for the DAC board.

Then we just need some bipolar Tridents for the I/V stage :D

Then we just need some bipolar Tridents for the I/V stage
Those are available, supersized: it's called a Placid BP ;)
Joking aside, moving from 1 to 3 Placid BPs on the I/V stage is the only upgrade Russ was quite clear about: he couldn't tell the difference. Moving to a dual mono setup is a quite measurable improvement, and going to Trident regulators is a quite noticable improvement. I think those are more worthwhile paths to follow than blindly increasing the PSU count.

Yeah...

Did you measure this? With dual IVY III or Legato? Which Bal/SE stage?
I'm just curious as I cannot find much reports on the effective benefit of dual mono.
Nic

I too would like to see this measurement! While, in theory, dual mono makes sense, in practice I really have reservations when trying to consider if going dual mono really offers an audible advantage...

In my testing there was no measurable difference between dual mono IVY-III and stereo. I have not had a chance to check legato, but I doubt I would see anything different.

The only real reason to go mono would be for the best possible isolation (supply and channel seperation).

Really it is simply an arbitrary option. Some people asked for it, and so we delivered. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Actually I have built a dual mono IVY and a dual mono Legato both with -6 db balse stages so no increase in output swing. I don't need that much gain, and prefer the Legato which has less output swing than the IVY. Dual mono sounds much better than I would have suspected in both cases. Maybe its a combination of more perfectly canceling out all of the currents inside and outside the chip as all of the signal is the same with just one channel per DAC along with greater current and noise averaging from summing twice as manny outputs. That said the improvement with the Trident on a dual mono IVY has me preferring it to the dual mono Legato without the Trident upgrade.

I guess what I am saying is the Trident is a must do upgrade with more significant sonic benefit, but dual mono is still very worthwhile just not as cost effective. I will report on the Legato with Trident when it is up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.