• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, you need some receiver or spdif direct. One Buff32 and then for output stage you could_put trafos right on the Buff32s output or use IVY III.

Personally whilst not over the moon about opamps, these guys have put a lot of work in and for little cost it has to be worth hearing their 'reference' tested solution before messing with alternatives.

If you want to use USB and SPDIF together then you need to buy a switching device as the Buff32s has only one input

One PSU @ 5-5.5v for the Buff and then one +-15v supply for IVY III.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks!

I do not plan to feed both at the same time. I may be using the CD player once in a while. I can certainly disconnect the USB at that time. That should do without the switch then, right?

Also, how is the output of IVY into DCB1 (for volume) in terms of loading?

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The output stage is not the same as the BUF32S. There are no relays at the balanced outputs (they are not needed when being used balanced), only at the SE outputs.
Cheers!
Russ
Is there any difference between IVYII (as on B32S) and IVYIII (the one coming with BII) when using a balanced power-amp?
Curious minds want to understand... improved filtering using 2.5% filter caps and?
Cheers,
Nic

so noone over there has received theirs yet? mine is in the air on its way to OZ as of yesterday sometime, so wondered if anyone over there had theirs yet? I mean I know I was pretty early in the queue as I stayed up and bought it straight away pretty much, but surely someone beat me to the punch?

yeah I wont be paying any, so I guess I forfeit ;) we can have up to 1000 import before we pay anything these days and sometimes more without them caring. it used to be 250 only a couple of years ago. besides I only bought the one dac module and a few PCBs. already got some of the shunts powering my v1 B32, but thought I would try the new version. I may end up working this so its battery powered while portable with i2s and optical input, and opamp output, but can be 'docked' while at home, may even use an ipod dock connector system or combo of neutrik powewrcon and ethernet. dunno, got a few things I have to play around with first

mine is in the air on its way to OZ as of yesterday sometime

Never mind - you can always get Dorothy to pick it up for you :D

yeah I wont be paying any,

Grrr:mad:

I expect to be paying duty, customs charges, handling charges and then 17.5% VAT on top of all that. Good old rip-off Britain.:(

About 10 years ago, I used to get some hefty boxes of DVDs from the US/Canada without paying a penny. Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs seem to be a bit more keen to extract money out of us these days (not to mention the extra charges the delivery companies stick on top).

Never mind - you can always get Dorothy to pick it up for you :D
yeah well as long as her, the tin man and the mad hatter dont disappear down the rabit hole with it i'm cool with a visit :D

Grrr:mad:

I expect to be paying duty, customs charges, handling charges and then 17.5% VAT on top of all that. Good old rip-off Britain.:(

yeah you guys get screwed alright, we get a similar treatment if its over a grand and they decide to be pricks about it. I had a 3500 package that a supplier forgot to do the paperwork for a little while ago and my prayers were answered thank god, that would have been a hefty fee, because without prior paperwork and approval, the handling fees would have been huge. luckily I watched it sneak through customs on tracking with a grin from ear to ear. used to be just like you mention here with anything over 250AUD.

About 10 years ago, I used to get some hefty boxes of DVDs from the US/Canada without paying a penny. Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs seem to be a bit more keen to extract money out of us these days (not to mention the extra charges the delivery companies stick on top).

well at least you can know that we get screwed as badly as you (well almost) buying things locally, so i'm always up for extravagant international shipping. would be interesting to see the numbers on the percentage of people who these days do al of their shopping for things online because th local pricing is so insane, probably not enough for them to worry about, pisses me off tho, because I would rather keep the money local, not if it means paying at least double though. wish I was there so I could shop at elfa direct thought rather than getting a mate to be inter-mediatory. any of you guys in the UK or other parts of europe who use farnell, I strongly suggest looking at elfa, they have the most excellent range of DIY parts and the prices are superb.

anyway nuff about that, getting quite excited now, keen to test out the buff II with transformer coupling as well just quickly before I put it on a strict diet of niMH

Hey guys, I wanted to post these pics here just in case Brian is not able to get the manual up on our site before you folks need to start building.

For BUF-II there is not much to tell.

Use 15V rails. Stuff all the parts including J1-4 if you want to use a single bipolar supply.

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• populated_board_for_buf_II.jpg
    populated_board_for_buf_II.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 758
  • buf_II_stack.jpg
    buf_II_stack.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 736
Last edited:
Arrived in north California. Question about using transformers for output stage

so noone over there has received theirs yet? mine is in the air on its way to OZ as of yesterday sometime, so wondered if anyone over there had theirs yet? I mean I know I was pretty early in the queue as I stayed up and bought it straight away pretty much, but surely someone beat me to the punch?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Initially, I am planning to send the DAC output through a pair of Sowter 9545E transformers. Anything special that I need to do, or be aware of, for using the Sowters ?

Thanks

ianp

The connection to DVCC is not used on the AVCC module. It is open. It is on the
header for other AVCC modules that might use it for a reference. Such as the type that the demo board and earlier Buffalos used. We used the 4 pin header on the AVCC module for consistency and mechanical strength.

The output voltage of our AVCC modules is ~3.5V on both sides It will
vary a little from part to part.

- Show quoted text -

Don't worry! Your package has only begone its trip......
After West Newbury (MA) it will transit North Reading (MA) and Jamaica (NY) before finally being dispatched over the pond from ISC (NY).
From here all tracks will be lost.......

Well it's taking its sweet time! There are 2 packages and the other one went to Jersey City (presumably thence to Newark). I'm just confused as to why one moved and the other didn't. :confused:

I've emailed USPS anyway. I'll stop moaning now. It's just that I've waited about a year and a half to start building a DAC and I'm eager to start! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.