Buffalo II - Page 92 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 14th November 2010, 08:24 AM   #911
diyAudio Member

Is there a difference between changing volume with volumite, comparing with cahnging volume with the PC software ?

thanks,

D.
Old 14th November 2010, 02:11 PM   #912
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon1975 View Post
Is there a difference between changing volume with volumite, comparing with cahnging volume with the PC software ?

thanks,

D.
Yes. Basically when you change volume at the PC the result will be limited by the output sample rate.

When changing with volumite the result is better because it is done at a great bit depth.

Still you should get goods results even from the PC, but using the volumite is better.
Old 14th November 2010, 02:55 PM   #913
diyAudio Member

I can hear a change with the very first step of attenuation in the computer, but additional attenuation seems not to loose any more until about -50 db. This makes sense because with any change all new data is changed (except bit shifting limited to about 6.02 db steps when increasing bit depth) and in my case this new string of numbers generated at 64 bit resolution is dithered to the 24 bit limit of the SPDIF interface. The volumite is more transparent working at both a higher sample rate and bit depth. Simply put I can't imagine a more transparent volume control for a digital source. Add a motorized pot for remote control and enjoy.
Old 14th November 2010, 03:04 PM   #914
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been using "Pure Music" which should be 64 bit at the level of volume control ,so good. Eventually I will have the volumite up to compare, but it looks to be a while. I work slowly.
Old 14th November 2010, 03:13 PM   #915
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenkin View Post
I have been using "Pure Music" which should be 64 bit at the level of volume control ,so good.
That is only true until it is output. Then you are going to hit the 24bit wall.
Old 14th November 2010, 07:30 PM   #916
diyAudio Member

One question, if you add the volumite to the setup, and then you keep it to full volume, is the same as not having it? I may suppose that no attenuation is happening, nor any other effect, right?

Regards,
Regi
Old 14th November 2010, 07:39 PM   #917
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
One question, if you add the volumite to the setup, and then you keep it to full volume, is the same as not having it? I may suppose that no attenuation is happening, nor any other effect, right?

Regards,
Regi
Yes, it will not be attenuated at all.
Old 17th November 2010, 10:27 AM   #918
diyAudio Member

Default Transformers on Voltage Output of Buffalo II

Hi, I'm considering dual-mono Buffalo DACs to replace the stock VC-24 digital filter & S-TAC DAC in a modified Sony SCD-1. I'd like to try porting over the mods that I have in this player. This includes a balanced analog section of 1:2 Audio Consulting silver transformers and LME 49600 buffers. These are directly attached to the voltage output of the Sony S-TACT-- which in this application sounds better than using an I/V stage. Will the Buffalo DAC work well in voltage mode using a buffered transformer output? Do I need to add a HF analog filter?

I'm powering the player entirely on 12V SLA batteries and would like to continue with this approach. Can 12Vdc be used to power Placid after removal of rectifiier? Are one or two Placid regs recommended for dual-mono Buffalo?

Thanks!
Old 18th November 2010, 12:31 PM   #919
diyAudio Member

I deleted the posts about trying to reverse a commercial product for two reasons.

1) It is is simply not necessary. You could do the same thing yourself quite easily.
2) We don't discuss consumer products on this thread.

If you find a set of filter coefficients you want to load, you can very easily do so. If someone has some filter they would like me to try they will need to send it to me, or at least tell me more about it than "Marketing Hype Filter X".

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited by Russ White; 18th November 2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:36 PM   #920
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Garretson View Post
Hi, I'm considering dual-mono Buffalo DACs to replace the stock VC-24 digital filter & S-TAC DAC in a modified Sony SCD-1. I'd like to try porting over the mods that I have in this player. This includes a balanced analog section of 1:2 Audio Consulting silver transformers and LME 49600 buffers. These are directly attached to the voltage output of the Sony S-TACT-- which in this application sounds better than using an I/V stage. Will the Buffalo DAC work well in voltage mode using a buffered transformer output? Do I need to add a HF analog filter?

I'm powering the player entirely on 12V SLA batteries and would like to continue with this approach. Can 12Vdc be used to power Placid after removal of rectifiier? Are one or two Placid regs recommended for dual-mono Buffalo?

Thanks!
I would refer you to this thread:
Buffalo II & transformers

Hide this!Advertise here!