• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Russ, will I2S input solve this problem?

Thanks,
Angel

The core problem in these is generally related to mains wiring and sometimes DC on the mains.

Switching to I2S may or may not help. I have not experienced any problem myself for quite some time, because I found the root of my own problem which was a load on the mains that was creating DC. When I eliminated the mains DC I experienced no more issues.

BTW this is not unique to the Buffalo. I experienced exactly the same thing with the ESS demo board as well as other DACs.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Intersting!
I have DC on the mains, used a capacitor-based filter first, later a 1KW Transformer.
But all transformers block off DC in the secondaries anyway, (the capacitor based filter and the 1kw ransformer only prevent the following transformers from mechanical hum) so how can this still influence the DAC?
All the best, Salar
Did your problems stop?

Yes...

This problem is not unique for the Buffalo DAc. Same problem with many other constructions .

Typically these kinds of problems are caused by a DC spike on the mains, causing a momentary un-lock. I have heard this happen with a number of DACs.
DC spikes like this are often caused by poorly designed appliances in the home-usually something with a large motor causing a spike when it first turns on (or, perhaps off) like refridgeration, or AC motors. It is usually really tough to get rid of the "problem", and often requires replacing the offending appliance. Modern appliances in proper working order should not cause this type of problem. I do not think any AC circuit treatment is likely to get rid of the "problem" as spikes like this pass right through transformers, etc.

Synchronous Clocking

so far I am liking the sound of the B-II/Legato 2, synchronously clocked with the MC feed from my async USB receiver (I have Crystek CCHD-957s on the receiver board). The difference is hard to describe, but I would say perhaps the sound is more like music, and less like a digital/electronic reproduction-every once in awhile I also feel I hear a little deeper into the low level details-but that could be imaginary...
One problem though, I seem to have developed a ground loop between the USB board and B-II board? It is low in level (not audible even in late evening from the listening position) but still it should not be there.
Anyone know why changing to synchronous clock feed from the USB board (and de-powering the onboard iscillator) would result in a ground loop? All I2S grounds are terminated at the B-II GND input, and a single wire runs the clock to the R-17 pad.

Yeah...

Thanks Russ. After re-doing the wiring to be absolutely sure I did not have a poorly terminated ground somewhere, I still have the noise. The masterclock lead is just a single wire, so I suspect it is the culprit. I will go ahead and use coax wire for the MC and see if that gets rid of the problem.

Synchronous Clocking and hum...

That change alone would not create a ground loop. What you are hearing may not even be a ground loop. You may have introduced some longer wiring that could be picking up noise etc. It is a matter of working backward until you find the source of the problem.

I confirmed that the MC lead was introducing the hum into the output, disconnecting it and going back to the onboard clock eliminates the problem.
I have ordered some micro coax (U.FL) cables and jacks for the clock distribution. Russ, or anyone knowledgable here, is it advisable to connect the shield at both ends of the cable, or should I try just connecting it at the source (USB receiver board) end?
Thanks in advance!

Hi all
I have ridden a BII with an output stage Legato v3. It sounds fantastic!

I'm thinking add a valve output stage. Something like "Minimax DAC PLUS". I think this dac does change through relays.

Please, I have a couple of questions:

- What is the disadvantage of introducing a relay (TQ2-5V) between the DAC output and input of the output stage?
- Is it better to use switches instead of relays? If the damage is the same, I prefer to use relays because the distance the signal cable would be shorter.

Probably best not to do this but I want to know what will happen if I do.

Thanks!

Al

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.