• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

What is the best SPDIF input for Buffalo II?

Has buffalo II input impedance 75 Oh?. Or is it better to put a resistor after the pulse transformer?

It is correct to the input capacitor to avoid saturation by continue?

I would appreciate corrections, improvements and optimum capacitor values​​.

I make a drawing of what I think would be ideal SPDIF input.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

To the best of my knowledge, a transformer with adequate power rating will not saturate. SPDIF output shouldn't have any DC present, as far as I know, usually there isn't any DC there. Adding a capacitor in series with the primary will create a resonance circuit, hence it is not advisable. Should such a capacitor be added, the resonance frequency should be calculated, it should be way outside the frequency range of the SPDIF signal.

Hello

What is the best SPDIF input for Buffalo II?

Has buffalo II input impedance 75 Oh?. Or is it better to put a resistor after the pulse transformer?

I would appreciate corrections, improvements and optimum capacitor values​​.

I make a drawing of what I think would be ideal SPDIF input.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Buffalo II already has 75 ohm termination and coupling cap.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Russ isn't the AVCC module: I powered the BII with two lifepo batteries of 3.3V & The BII still does glitches/dropouts.

If you have an LED not lighting on the AVCC module something is very definitely wrong.

Russ I understand that one rail AVCC is gone but I don't understand why powering the BII with batteries instead de AVCC the issue continues, could you elaborate?

Russ I understand that one rail AVCC is gone but I don't understand why powering the BII with batteries instead de AVCC the issue continues, could you elaborate?

It could very well be the DAC is damaged by what ever killed the AVCC module.

It could also be your double termination (37.6 ohms instead of 75 ohms) of the SPDIF.

Other possibilities include a damaged comparator.

I would simply remove the extra 75R you have right now and see how things go.

Hi Russ / Brian,

I just opened up assembled my buffalo 2 after a huge delay

My current set up is:

USB receiver / MUX receiver / buffalo 2 / IVY 3 /

Powered with Placid & Placid BP and a modified LCDPS ( for MUX )

& volumite

I think I must get the prize for the slowest builder !

The sound is excellent but after conducting tests it is still clear that different sources playing identical tracks do sound different so it seems to me that good quality digital feed will probably further improve things ( as I would describe all of my current digital sources as somewhat basic - PC, DVD player etc ).

As I have adopted PC's as my principal music storage / playing device I was planning to buy an M2tech Evo or similar.

But have been reading in this thread about your plans for a wonderful new asynchronous USB receiver but when I search your site it does not seem to exist yet.

Can you please advise me in the regard. If you are not planning to release one in very near future can you recommend anything ?

cheers

mike

Last edited:
mike...

Yes, like any DAC I have ever used, the source quality does matter (a lot) with the B-II/III, despite the "jitter rejection" topologies incorporated in the ESS 9018.
I would suggest using whatever sources you have right now, and being patient and waiting for the (new) Twisted Pear USB interface. All indications (hints) which have been dropped by Russ White support the idea that the new async USB interface is going to be soemthing special, and worth waiting for.
If you must have a new source in the mean time, I would suggest taking a look at the "digital source" forum here at DIYaudio, there are some alternatives to try there. As this is the TPA forum, discussing competeing products here is somewhat OT.

Hi, I'm riding a regulator to replace the clock trident. My voltage regulator in the cold is of 3.31V/3.32V and in two minutes is stabilized at 3.30 V. IS IT OK?
What is the maximum voltage that supports the clock?

On the other hand, I put blue leds mute and lock instead of the green. Blues consume more. IS OK?

Regards

AL

So this would be a correct circuit for Buffalo II?

Try to measure whether Jitter is better or worse with or without pulse transformer.
Also if I have something SPDIF DC.

Thanks Russ.and all.

Hello oneoclock
I would like to know if you have Incorporates the pulse transformer and the input capacitor 1uF, what results did you get? transformer that you used?
thanks for the information, greetings Loredana

Original without transformer. J test signal and detail.

Detail pulse transformer (bel 0554-1220-00-F)

Detail pulse transformer Bel and capacitor 1 uF MKP.

The measures are very similar. Buffalo II works perfectly for the 3 forms without loss of sync or jumps.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.