Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 18th September 2010, 11:22 PM   #791
diyAudio Member

Default Mute LED ?/Problem

Hi Russ/Brian.

My B-II is sounding great! Right now I am running it form my bel-canto CD-1 as transport via SPDIF. One weird thing, when I put the bel-canto in standby, or even power it off, the lock led goes out, but the mute led does not light. The mute led does work: if I power up the B-II with the bel-canto in standby, the mute led comes on, then goes out when putting the bel canto into operation.
I suspect the DAC should be muting whenever there is no lock, but that is not the case-should I try a reset, or?
Old 19th September 2010, 12:06 AM   #792
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
What you are seeing is normal. The DAC does not necessarily mute when it loses lock. Mute is a condition that must be set. The firmware is setup to play silence when there is no signal which technically is not quite the same as mute. In short, don't worry, things are as they should be.

Last edited by Russ White; 19th September 2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 19th September 2010, 01:24 AM   #793
diyAudio Member

If the 3 on board supplies on the Buffalo II are bypassed (& replaced with an aftermarket product), and the AVCC shunt regulator is replaced with an aftermarket product, is there any modification that needs to be done so you don't end up with multiple competitive supplies? The AVCC shunt regulator looks straightforward, as you just remove it and replace it, however the other 3 on board supplies must need removal of something so that they are not running as well. I realize the SMD inductors must be removed, but are the stock input caps also removed out of the circuit for these supplies? And is the output of the these stock supplies/regulators still connected to the circuit?

This question stemmed from here.

Thanks,
Anand.
Old 19th September 2010, 02:50 AM   #794
diyAudio Member

The VREG outputs are a high impedance when there is no supply. You can leave them. This is actually covered in the manual. Remove the ferrites, then apply whatever PS you like.
Old 19th September 2010, 06:38 AM   #795
diyAudio Member

Default Buffalo II DSD vs. Opus WM8741 DSD?

I'm almost ready to put my new Buffalo II / Legato to work and have 2 general questions for those with experience in the platform.

How does the sound quality of DSD through the Buffalo II compare to the quality of DSD through the Opus WM8741? Generalities and subjective opinions are most welcome! Also, how does the Opus "DSD Plus" (software mode) performance compare to "DSD direct" (hardware mode and largely unfiltered)? Your thoughts will help me sort out how to implement DSD (needing Volumite control) in a multi-channel environment that will combine one stereo Buffalo II with Opus boards. [I can't justify upgrading every channel to B2!]. TIA!

Frank
Old 19th September 2010, 12:58 PM   #796
diyAudio Member

Just like everything else its hard to touch the quality of audio you get with DSD into the ESS DAC.

Regarding Opus, I have used both "DSD direct" and "DSD plus", and as long as you have adequate analog filtering after the DAC I would prefer "direct" but both sound so good as to make that preference purely subjective. If you don't have any filtering then use "DSD plus". If you are using IVY-III for Opus the filtering is fine, go direct.
Old 19th September 2010, 04:13 PM   #797
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
Hi,

Yes it certainly could handle that current swing, but you would want to change a couple parts. Honestly, I would not do it. You could actually get a bit worse THD in this case. Instead I would do what we do with the IVY-III

It (like the D1 etc) is AC coupled, but it could also be transformer coupled, or even DC coupled in some situations.

I am currently using 100uf Silmic II for coupling, and am quite happy with them. We are also looking at the new Nichicon silk caps (I forget the model at the moment).

Legato aims for simplicity. It is a D1 style common base I/V stage.

Counterpoint II is different. It uses a folded cascode and servo to eliminate offset, but it is quite a lot more complex circuit. It may still be offered at some point.

Cheers!
Russ
Hi Russ,

Can the Legato be used with transformers without the coupling capacitors? I plan on doing so, but I'm a bit concerned about the DC offset.

Thank you in advance!

Alex
Old 20th October 2010, 04:50 PM   #798
Ared is offline Ared  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ!

Please tell me, if it's enough for a buffalo 2 minimal approach if I only get one placid, one non bipolar toroid transformer and one b2 kit to feed a naim nait 5i integrated amp using using a Hiface as the source? In this scenario do I need to use the shunt regulator?
Also is there any ETA for the batch of Crystek XOs?

Thanks in advance!
Old 20th October 2010, 06:07 PM   #799
diyAudio Member

You don't "need" by say, but a shunt will give you improvements. You don't even "need" a Buffalo

Regards,
Regi
Old 20th October 2010, 06:10 PM   #800
diyAudio Member

He will need, if he's a diy-junky

Hide this!Advertise here!