Buffalo II - Page 79 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 11th September 2010, 03:56 PM   #781
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Kb=Kilobits KB=Kilobytes I think that's the standard nomenclature
No it isn't. Originally it's Kbps for bits, and Kb/s for bytes. And if we go back to the calculation:
Quote:
Even 687.5 Kb/s (44,000 x 16 / 1024) data rate would be enough for CD quality. That's a DSL link of 5.5Mbits,
You see the poster also meant Kb/s as in Kilobytes/second, as 5.5Mbits clearly isn't equal to 687.5 Kilobits.
Old 11th September 2010, 04:27 PM   #782
neb001 is offline neb001  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonvB View Post
No it isn't. Originally it's Kbps for bits, and Kb/s for bytes.
Actually ichiban is correct:

Quote:
The symbol kb has historically been used for both kilobyte and kilobit. Using an uppercase B for byte (kB) and bit for a binary digit (i.e. kbit) prevents this ambiguity.

Kilobyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The two examples that you used are identical, since both Kbps and Kb/s stand for "Kilobits per second". The "proper" way of expressing the binary prefix is KiB per the IEC Definitions of the SI units: The binary prefixes but that practice hasn't seen widespread use yet.
Old 11th September 2010, 05:57 PM   #783
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

He's correct and incorrect. I said originally which indeed is a long, long time ago. The Kb and KB proposal was introduced much later on, but never made it to a standard as it was deemed too ambiguous. Some people started using it anyway (in the beginning most of them were using it wrong BTW) and then things started to get really messy: some even started using 1Kb as 1000 bytes. Anarchy was complete. Even later than that the IEC definitions were introduced, which indeed now are a standard but they are rarely used (and even then sometimes used incorrectly).
Regardless your generation of notation, the fact is that the text is crystal clear: the poster specified a 5.5Mbits DSL link, but there is no need for a 5.5Mbps line to transmit CD quality audio. Even without that calculation error, you can compress the stream (yes lossless) to cut back the required transmission speed.
But let's get back to the point: how could we add streaming to a BII is IMO a good question. I've already looked at a possibility to either add HQ sound using a miniature PC board or a USB board, but in general the limit is 24/192, while I would like to be able to pump data to the BII board at 32/384 max.
How far along is the new USB board? Is it going to take weeks, months or years? I'm still waiting for an AC1 to appear, but that seems to take forever. Will this be such a project? I'm a bit worried about the drivers: getting those right can be a tough job.
Old 11th September 2010, 08:15 PM   #784
diyAudio Member

Default Doctors w/o Borders contribution

Congratulations and best wishes to Brian and Russ (the 'Twisted Pair' ) on the very successful raffle in support of Pakistani relief by Doctors Without Borders. A very generous, class act! ...and great job, Noah even though you didn't pick me! Link:Relief Raffle for Pakistan Let me add that the video was very effective and makes me wonder if the TPA support site could have a few technically-oriented videos for FAQs. ...probably faster and better than typing up manuals...

Again, great job TPA!

Frank in Mpls.
Old 12th September 2010, 05:28 PM   #785
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You see the poster also meant Kb/s as in Kilobytes/second, as 5.5Mbits clearly isn't equal to 687.5 Kilobits.
8 bits per byte, so 687.5 Kilobits times 8 are 5.5 Megabytes.

That is just because traditionally in telecommunications, transmision lines capacity are tipically measured in bits, while in computer sciences capacity has been measured in 8-bits units (bytes). Just a nomenclature tradition, you can use each other any time you want. Just mustiply or divide by 8.

Regards,
Regi
Old 12th September 2010, 05:41 PM   #786
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Regardless your generation of notation, the fact is that the text is crystal clear: the poster specified a 5.5Mbits DSL link, but there is no need for a 5.5Mbps line to transmit CD quality audio. Even without that calculation error, you can compress the stream (yes lossless) to cut back the required transmission speed.
You are right, but I wanted to make an apples to apples comparison, using the same PCM datarate than an S/PDIF link, no compression. But using an on-the-fly compressor decompressor would allow cheaper connections. But, onw more time, we are adding more latency.
Old 13th September 2010, 03:12 PM   #787
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Though I really hope a whistle brown by Policeman Brian, May I just say;

Data transfer rate of PCM Stereo CD data is
44.1 x 1,000 x 16 bit x 2 ch = 1.4112 Mbps (Mega Bits Per Second)
On S/PDIF line, as one PCM 16 bit data is carried on one 32 bit frame, frame-based actual rate is
44.1 x 1,000 x 32 bit x 2 ch = 2.8224 Mbps
Old 13th September 2010, 05:34 PM   #788
diyAudio Member

You're right Bumpei, I don't know what I was thinking about... :S
Old 18th September 2010, 09:54 PM   #789
Sandor is offline Sandor  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Led on

Is there a way, in the Buffalo II, to have a led lighting on when a digital input is locked by the spdif receiver?
Regards.

Paul

Last edited by Sandor; 18th September 2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 18th September 2010, 10:15 PM   #790
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
Is there a way, in the Buffalo II, to have a led lighting on when a digital input is locked by the spdif receiver?
Regards.

Paul
Sure just use a red lock LED instead of the green. You can also remote wire it to your panel etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!