Buffalo II - Page 63 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 30th May 2010, 01:56 PM   #621
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yes, you run the SPDIF signal to both boards. The settings will tell the DAC what to decode.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:38 PM   #622
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjalloq View Post
I've just put in an order for the BII but am interested in how one would hook up the SPDIF/I2S inputs when using the dual-mono configuration? Do you just buffer the inputs and drive them to both BII boards?
In my case, I2S signal source is SDTrans192. The player has LC245A for an output buffer and source terminating resister of 33 ohm. I just connected this one output directly to two input connectors of Buffalo II DACs in a dual mono mode configuration using usual non-shielded wires.
I can play tunes of up to 352.8 kHz / 24bit, 192 kHz / 32 bit without problems.
(though clocks on Buffalo II are replaced with 96 MHz ones)

I'd rather like to know whether anyone has tried distributing one clock source to two Buffalo II DACs.
Old 1st June 2010, 01:30 AM   #623
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjalloq View Post
Hey all,

I've just put in an order for the BII but am interested in how one would hook up the SPDIF/I2S inputs when using the dual-mono configuration? Do you just buffer the inputs and drive them to both BII boards?

Thanks.
No need to buffer if you use I2S source as the impedance is pretty high. If your using any of our I2S sources the outputs are perfectly capable driving the load and are designed to do so.

If your using SPDIF the solution is similarly quite simple. Use one Buffalo II with normal SPIDF input. On the other leave the SPDIF switch open. Now connect D1 and GND between the DACs. This will make a single comparator drive D1 with TTL level SPDIF on both DACs. Something it can do quite easily. This works very well and is how I did some of my testing.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited by Russ White; 1st June 2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 5th June 2010, 12:57 PM   #624
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

I promised to post a picture of my Buffalo and here it is, it is actually old now as I have taken care of some of the things that everyone would kill me for regarding arrangement and choice of parts and wiring and it is going to be placed in a nice modushop box but will take time. I promise it will be as beautiful as it sounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buffalo-Nikola.jpg (146.0 KB, 957 views)
Old 5th June 2010, 01:04 PM   #625
diyAudio Member

hmmmmm, groupbuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Krivorov View Post
Hi Guys,

I promised to post a picture of my Buffalo and here it is, it is actually old now as I have taken care of some of the things that everyone would kill me for regarding arrangement and choice of parts and wiring and it is going to be placed in a nice modushop box but will take time. I promise it will be as beautiful as it sounds.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:00 AM   #626
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to yammy1688 Send a message via MSN to yammy1688
Great news! Any idea when it will be available?

Will the form factor be the same as the current USB module? (No additional drilling for mounting holes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
You don't have to clock divide at all if you really don't want to. One could reclock all data to the highest supported rate. In any case it is not something I am going to worry about much. Any device that produces one clock based on another is going to introduce some phase noise. I think the FPGA number you quote is likely dependent on he device and the technique used. The XMOS device is very definitely not an FPGA.

There is documentation from XMOS on I/O timing. A little poking around and you will find it.

I have been using the XMOS for a while now with some custom firmware and I am quite happy with it.

The module I have right now currently supports up to 352.8khz 32bit and the one I am currently designing will support sample rates up to 384khz 32bit. Currently I2S output is only being considered, but I will likely support SPDIF output as well but will probably need to limit that to 192khz 24bit since most receivers cannot go beyond this.

I am aiming to make it support up to 8 channels of I2S output (yes even at 384khz). I have not decided that part yet.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:00 PM   #627
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
It is a pretty demanding new design. But I expect to be testing it in the next month or two.
Old 10th June 2010, 01:05 AM   #628
diyAudio Member

Russ:

Anything new on the Legato?

Thanks

Bob
Old 10th June 2010, 04:00 PM   #629
diyAudio Member

I've already asked in TPA forums but got no answer.

Is it possible to connect Left-Justified-I2S to the Buffalo II?
Old 10th June 2010, 04:37 PM   #630
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocchini View Post
Russ:

Anything new on the Legato?

Thanks

Bob
We needed to make a change to the Legato prototypes. New boards shoudl be here soon, with kits soon to follow.

Hide this!Advertise here!