Buffalo II - Page 62 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 18th May 2010, 04:03 PM   #611
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
The firmware switches the oversampling filter mode file by file depending on its sampling rate. For 352.8 kHz/ 24 bit: No over sampling, and for other sampling rates: Over sampling.
Is not that the same that the Buffalo II does? If input signal is the maximum allowable (352.8khz), then no resample is possible, so no resampling will happen. If input signal is lower, then it will upsample them by default, as you pointed out:
Quote:
The Buffalo DAC default setting employs "Over sampling mode ( 8x )". Hence, 44.1 k 16 bit materials are internally re-sampled to 352.8 kHz.
Old 18th May 2010, 06:12 PM   #612
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
It would be very simple to give you firmware the switches between OSF and Non-OSF. It is just a matter if it makes sense to bother. I would never use the chip in Non-OSF mode.

Even Volumite could easily be made to do this.

Remember all this register does is bypass the very first section of digital processing. In the end unless you turn off the Jitter reduction (which would be foolish) it will be re-sampled in any case, just not filtered.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 18th May 2010, 06:31 PM   #613
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
It would be very simple to give you firmware the switches between OSF and Non-OSF. It is just a matter if it makes sense to bother. I would never use the chip in Non-OSF mode.

Even Volumite could easily be made to do this.

Remember all this register does is bypass the very first section of digital processing. In the end unless you turn off the Jitter reduction (which would be foolish) it will be re-sampled in any case, just not filtered.

Cheers!
Russ
When this is the case, there is really no reason to enable NOS mode.
Old 20th May 2010, 05:26 PM   #614
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
... If input signal is the maximum allowable (352.8khz), then no resample is possible, so no resampling will happen. ...
To say exactly, they say on "Normal mode" the maximum (allowable) PCM sampling frequency is 500 kHz. That's why Russ says 384 kHz/ 32 bit can be one of goals on his "XMOS USB -> I2S" development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
Set the correct register via I2C. ...
In my case, I tried two methods for write and read values on registers on Buffalo DACs via I2C. On the both methods, you need to detach MCU device on the Buffalo DAC.

1. Using ESS Technology ES9018 Evaluation Board for this purpose.

The board has an USB interface chip that bridge PC and I2C on board.
We can use very good GUI-based software provided by ESS to read and write registers on ES9018. I cut some patterns on the Evaluation Board, added an switch and extended SCL & SDA lines to Buffalo DAC. With the help of the excellent GUI software, I could recognize the effect of changing register value in almost a real time manner after clicking a mouse on PC screen.

2. Connecting Arduino board to I2C pins on Buffalo DAC

You can know how to do this on this blog page very well.
H I F I D U I N O: Programming Buffalo DAC: Review of Arduino I2C

Bunpei
Old 20th May 2010, 09:24 PM   #615
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
Can the user choose manually between oversampling and NOS, regardless of the file's rate?
FWIW, you might try flipping DIP switch 3 off and listen for awhile. That changes the OS filter from fast to slow roll off. It seems to relax the sound a bit without losing detail and resolution -closer to the NOS sound.

Just got my Buffalo II up and running on Optima Red battery power with PH regs and Onetics OPTs last Saturday and it's still settling in so I can't comment on the absolute value of the fast vs slow sonics, but I like slow a lot so far. Its hard to turn off the music at night. The only other DAC that had that long term effect on me was my Altman Attraction DAC.

I will comment on the sonics of the BII so far -its killer. Many thanks Russ and Brian on the great kit.

Last edited by steve jones; 20th May 2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 26th May 2010, 04:01 PM   #616
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
I just wanted to say that I am very impressed with the Buffalo II, I have one up and running with an output stage based on the 6n6p tube and Lundahl 1689 transformers and it really is very good. It is not optimized yet and I am planing to upgrade several parts but it is very musical, transparent and engaging as it is, I will post some pictures when I kind of organize the mess

To give you the perspective I have owned EAD DSP 7000 Mk3, Audio Synthesis DAX-2 (both of them had all grades of PCM63 made - K, K2,KY, Y, Korean and Japan made) and I am currently using and Exemplar 3910 as source. The Bufallo is not as good as the Exemplar yet, but I am working on it

I am just trying to encourage people who are not decided about it to try a DAC that is very good without a million hours and thousands of dollars in modding.
I think I posted the schematic I am using some posts earlier, if anyone is interested.
Old 26th May 2010, 07:18 PM   #617
diyAudio Member

Please repost?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Krivorov View Post
Hi all,
I just wanted to say that I am very impressed with the Buffalo II, I have one up and running with an output stage based on the 6n6p tube and Lundahl 1689 transformers and it really is very good. It is not optimized yet and I am planing to upgrade several parts but it is very musical, transparent and engaging as it is, I will post some pictures when I kind of organize the mess

To give you the perspective I have owned EAD DSP 7000 Mk3, Audio Synthesis DAX-2 (both of them had all grades of PCM63 made - K, K2,KY, Y, Korean and Japan made) and I am currently using and Exemplar 3910 as source. The Bufallo is not as good as the Exemplar yet, but I am working on it

I am just trying to encourage people who are not decided about it to try a DAC that is very good without a million hours and thousands of dollars in modding.
I think I posted the schematic I am using some posts earlier, if anyone is interested.
Old 26th May 2010, 07:19 PM   #618
diyAudio Member

Can you repost them, please? nice combination you have
Old 26th May 2010, 07:27 PM   #619
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Krivorov View Post
I just came across this tube output stage that someone is using and I was wondering if you guys might care to comment:

audio-talk :: View topic - Buffalo DAC output stage

Looks simple and effective, of course the transformer could be a different one Does it look OK or there are things that I don't see? Any input will be much appreciated.
I suppose the last post is a reply to my post, so here is what I wrote then...Using Lundahls 1689PP though.
Old 30th May 2010, 10:42 AM   #620
sjalloq is offline sjalloq  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sjalloq
Hey all,

I've just put in an order for the BII but am interested in how one would hook up the SPDIF/I2S inputs when using the dual-mono configuration? Do you just buffer the inputs and drive them to both BII boards?

Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!