• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will soon receive my modules (cannot wait). I always have a problem in using digital test signal. I have many file found in internet and some software, but I never know if the distortion I measure on the devices comes from the digital source or from the DAC. Could someone kindly send me or give me the link where to download some reference signal that have been measured with good equipment, so I will knoe to what distortion figure I have to aim.

Thanks,

Davide

Dear Russ,
I was wondering if you could help me with understanding one thing.
I use AES/Ebu cable from my transport and I connected signal + (pin 2) to Spidf inputs on Buff II and ground (pin 1) to ground.
Also between the Pin 3 (- signal) and Pin 1 (ground) is small blue condensator.
Is that right? should I use something different?
Can I connect AES /ebu signal to DSD? and how if this is possible?
I was wondering how to use AES signal correcty to the Buff II boards.
Please help me understand and corrct me if I am wrong.
Thank you,
Christ

What you are doing may be just fine depending on your source. You could also use a transformer and resistor divider to convert the balanced signal to single ended. If you google you can find a lot of examples.

Thanks Russ for explaining Dual mono feeding.
This works exellent. Very coherent sound. Much better then separate feed.
I am still wondering how to use second wire (pin3) from AES
It is signal there. I dont want to just cancell it.
Is mux module the best solution?
I am searching only for the best .
Christ

Mux module would indeed work very well here.

Hello!

Is it okay to directly connect the placid heatsinks to an alu case? Are they connected to any kind of ground which could cause some trouble?

Thanks, G

I can't remember which transistors we are shipping these days, but if they are the isolated package you will be just fine(no exposed metal tab). If not you will need suitable isolators and screws and such.

Dear Russ,
How to summate the signal in dual mono mode on each board?
I think on L and R is the same signal , but in opposite phase.
I connected R+ with L- and R- with L+ with silver wire on each board.
Is that right?
I use tubes balanced output stage and do not use IVY III which is I think doing the job normally.
Is there any better way to summate the signals in dual mono mode?
Thanks in advance!
Christ

That is explained in the manual. In mono mode the phase of the opposite channel is inverted.

You could just connect like phases together.

Thanks Russ,
I already ordered MUX and this will solve all my problems I hope.
I also hope the quality of the sound is not going to be lost.
(My wonder is that mux is 24 bit only, not 32 bit).
My transport delivers 32 bit and upto 800 khz. (i can pick any option)
I always play at 32 bit and 44.1 khz for the best and natural sound.

1. Will mux cut down the 32 bit quality to 24 bit or not?
2. Should I pick option of 24 bit 44.1 in the transport?
3. Is there a sence to upgrade the caps to oscons in mux, if so which once?
4. Also what will be the best way to connect mux to DACs (spdif to spdif?)

Thanks again for help.
Christ

Thanks Russ,
I already ordered MUX and this will solve all my problems I hope.
I also hope the quality of the sound is not going to be lost.
(My wonder is that mux is 24 bit only, not 32 bit).
My transport delivers 32 bit and upto 800 khz. (i can pick any option)
I always play at 32 bit and 44.1 khz for the best and natural sound.

1. Will mux cut down the 32 bit quality to 24 bit or not?
2. Should I pick option of 24 bit 44.1 in the transport?
3. Is there a sence to upgrade the caps to oscons in mux, if so which once?
4. Also what will be the best way to connect mux to DACs (spdif to spdif?)

Thanks again for help.
Christ

1. SPDIF standard is max 24 bit.
2. If you like, but you could use a higher sample rate up to 24bit depth.
3. No, I would not.
4. You could go either way, but I would prefer I2S in this case.

1. SPDIF standard is max 24 bit.
2. If you like, but you could use a higher sample rate up to 24bit depth.
3. No, I would not.
4. You could go either way, but I would prefer I2S in this case.

Thank you Russ,
I do confirm. It works a way better with 24 bit than 32 bit transport depth.

Strange is that I have 32 bit transport and 32 bit buff II - BUT - spdif is a limit.

I may have to go for the USB sound card and USB connection to save all 32 bit depth.
Am I right Russ?

Christ

Yes, for power supply. Not for output.
Hi, thank
I read this from lampizator website:
"UPDATE about the latest Twisted Pear Buffalo board version 2

The latest Twisted Pear board with Esstech DAC is "improved" by the addition of the output stage. 6 opamps that I counted. Unfortunately, unlike with the first board, there is no connection for us Lampizators to the naked DAC output. TP added their opamp based analog stage. The bitter truth is that it sucks. The music is bad, mechanical, closed in, not high end at all. Compared to the first board with tube stage or with Sowter transformers - the new board does not cut it at all. And there is no possibility to cheat the board easily and add tube stage. It takes a MAJOR rework including the removal of all opamps.
Guys - you overdone the good product, I am sorry. I must warn all tube fans folks who are excited by the ESSTECH DAC to stay away from your buffalo.
I seriously suggest to produce the old board with newest chip and continue to provide naked output terminals like before. You CAN'T change reality and stop musically sensitive people from using tubes, it is impossible. Ah of course - I havent even touched the price issue ;-) "

Is not true?

Hi, thank
I read this from lampizator website:
"UPDATE about the latest Twisted Pear Buffalo board version 2

The latest Twisted Pear board with Esstech DAC is "improved" by the addition of the output stage. 6 opamps that I counted. Unfortunately, unlike with the first board, there is no connection for us Lampizators to the naked DAC output. TP added their opamp based analog stage. The bitter truth is that it sucks. The music is bad, mechanical, closed in, not high end at all. Compared to the first board with tube stage or with Sowter transformers - the new board does not cut it at all. And there is no possibility to cheat the board easily and add tube stage. It takes a MAJOR rework including the removal of all opamps.
Guys - you overdone the good product, I am sorry. I must warn all tube fans folks who are excited by the ESSTECH DAC to stay away from your buffalo.
I seriously suggest to produce the old board with newest chip and continue to provide naked output terminals like before. You CAN'T change reality and stop musically sensitive people from using tubes, it is impossible. Ah of course - I havent even touched the price issue ;-) "

Is not true?

NO - mr. Lampizator is very superficial person ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.