• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The problem is that there is really no "one" valid comparison scenario between Buffalo32 and Buffalo II. :)

The Buffalo II has multiple options for thing like the PS and output stages, the BUF32S is well laid out, but in retrospect I would change it a bit.

That said the Buffalo II has the DNR edge (if only slightly) mostly because the PCB routing is better optimized and the AVCC shunt reg really makes a difference.

The rest of the equation will depend on the output stage one chooses. But there the freedom of choice is a big plus. :)

I hope that is helpful.

Last edited:
It Does help, thanks Russ.
Overall I would say I am completely happy with my 32s. I did an albeit short comparison between it and a Weiss DAC2 on a hi-rez needle drop, and while the Weiss had a bit more extension and slightly greater dynamic impact, everyone present also thought that it was more of a 'which do you prefer' situation rather than 'this one is better' - clearly, IMO, the 32s is the winner then, since the cost is so far less than the Weiss...
I would love to hear the Buffalo II with a cost-no-object output stage, or even a tubed output stage...I wonder if there is anyone in the Toronto area who has built one...
Byron

Russ,

Yes I see the manual states that the Buffalo DAC can be switched into mono mode. What puzzled me is that in your dual-mono wiring diagram, you appear to be using the Buf modules differently. Instead of having one mono output per Buf PCB, you use both outputs. The four outputs are then summed by the dual Ivy modules. Would it be possible to have two Buf PCBs in dual mono with one ouput per module, feeding one Ivy with balanced outputs?

Dave

Last edited:
Russ,

Yes I see the manual states that the Buffalo DAC can be switched into mono mode. What puzzled me is that in your dual-mono wiring diagram, you appear to be using the Buf modules differently. Instead of having one mono output per Buf PCB, you use both outputs. The four outputs are then summed by the dual Ivy modules. Would it be possible to have two Buf PCBs in dual mono with one ouput per module, feeding one Ivy with balanced outputs?

Dave

The answer is quite simple, thats the way the chip works in mono mode. No need to be puzzled. :)

It is possible to use one IVY. You can simply wire the outputs in parallel to the IVY, but I would not recommend that. I would use dual mono for the IVY the way it is indicated. It simply works better that way. :)

But this is DIY, you have what you need to know. Do what pleases you.

Last edited:
Russ, the check out cart is broken...

I ordered a couple of Tridents earlier and paid via paypal...

Just now I was trying to buy 2 BuffII's via Paypal and it wont let me pay.. saying it has already been paid... I'm afraid I may be out of luck????????????

It seems your system won't let me pay for 2 different orders the same day. What gives???

BTW... I sent you an explaination via email.

Jeff

Last edited:
I managed to put one into the cart, but I couldn't pay for it on time :D It seems I have a very low daily limit for international transactions, a limit I never knew existed. I had big transactions in the past and bumm, just on b2 preorder sht like this kicks in:D

Maybe the Universe wants me to try out something else, like the Opus.

I managed to put one into the cart, but I couldn't pay for it on time :D It seems I have a very low daily limit for international transactions, a limit I never knew existed. I had big transactions in the past and bumm, just on b2 preorder sht like this kicks in:D

Maybe the Universe wants me to try out something else, like the Opus.

The Universe gave me an other chance, I clicked refresh and there was the button once again :D and this time I called my bank's customer service and managed to increase my limit and succesfuly preordered the b2! :D

I was one of the lucky ones today too. My built in alarm clock woke me up at 8:50 am and I was thinking about BuffII (sales started on the Pacific coast at 9am). Almost didn't get the computer started up in time by the sounds of it though...

On another note, I am interested in how much of a difference the Trident regulators would make. Do the digital supplies powered by Trident shunt regs make an audible difference versus the built in ones?

I had preloaded my cart with everything but the Buffalo II. The clock rolled over and the display switched to "On sale now, refresh page". Unfortunately refreshing the page returned the same message over and over. I would guess that while it may have taken almost 3 minutes for the orders to clear it was closer to three seconds for the order initiation to jam the system. Still I was very glad to find Ventus available and the ability to pre-order the Legato 2 so I will have plenty to keep busy with until my next chance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.