• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
External up-sampling does sound different for whatever reason. I use pure music which has a very good up-sampling algorithm, but I prefer native sample rates unless I am using a plug in eq or other processing which might benefit from up sampling prior to it. The other possible reason to externally up sample is if you have music at various sample rates but run your interface with an external clock that won't automatically follow changes in the sample rate of the stream.

To my ear nothing sounds better than sending the exact data and letting the Saber chip handle the up sampling and volume attenuation internally.

I am placing this in a separate post in case it needs to be moved or removed. (not clear on the exact rules)

I have stayed up and been lucky so, I have two Buffalo II s new in boxes that are waiting to go into a D1 group board. As the reality of finishing this project looks farther and farther away I would be willing to sell my 2*80 MHz units if there are two who need them NOW. I would pick up 2*100 MHz later along with some ventus boards when they are available. While it may not matter I know I would want two halves of a dual mono to be as identical as possible. I can attest that there is a noticeable improvement going full dual mono. In fairness that is compared to a singly power supply running a stereo board. I can not speak to the relative benefit splitting the power vs doubling up on the dacs.

I got my Buffalo2/Legato/Volumite kit some weeks ago and now it's playing wonderfully! I must say that service (thanks Brian) and everything about the kit is really working great!

The only problem I encountered was that I got some hum when feeding both my active xo(SE in) and my poweramp(XLR in) with the balanced op. Not the best to have an asymmetric load on the balanced output I guess. After moving the active xo to the buffered SE output it's quiet as a mouse (when not playing - but I'm sure you understood that....).

Keep up the good work!

The only problem I encountered was that I got some hum when feeding both my active xo(SE in) and my poweramp(XLR in) with the balanced op. Not the best to have an asymmetric load on the balanced output I guess. After moving the active xo to the buffered SE output it's quiet as a mouse (when not playing - but I'm sure you understood that....).

Sounds like you have a ground loop issue. There should be no problem using balanced and SE outputs at the same time.

Thanks. So applying 3.3V will reset the DAC? Is there a pad to access this pin?

The one marked "RESET". It is there with 3.3v so you only need a switch.

Keep in mind. I had a conversation with Dustin about the reset and when it should be used. His input and years of playing with it have taught me that you really never need to reset. Dustin added the pin just in case the device got into a latch-up condition etc where the chip was no longer responsive. I have actually never been able to induce such a state. As long as you can read and write I2C the device is good to go.

This why I store the list of registers and write them all at once whenever I want to get things because to any given state. It ensures all of the registers are where they need to be.

Last edited:
I was wondering if the reason was to reload all the default values into the registers.

No, in this case the reset is basically an escape hatch. Only to be used in an emergency. :)

Yes you *could* reload default registers by performing a reset, but there are a few really good reasons not to do that. One of them is that at least with I2S input the Buffalo II should never use default register settings. Look at the source code I sent for the reason why. One hint: SOURCE. It will work with the default settings but you will get some undesirable funkiness.

One other great reason is that the default volume level is full blast. You very likely do not want that if you are using volume control.

So in short unless you have found some way to get the chip into a latch-up condition I would just pretend the pin does not exist. :cool:

Are your Buffalo II outputting a lower signal level than the default one? At what ratio it is being reduced?

Regards,
Regi

The on-board firmware does not adjust the volume in any way. But it does set some other very crucial registers. :)

What we were talking about is an external controller that glt is working on. It adjusts the volume. What I was saying is when you use a controller like that the desired outcome is for the DAC to go back to all of it's last registry settings (not just volume). And preferably to ramp up to that volume so as not to surprise the user.

Last edited:
Russ, I could not find in the thread if there is the ability to know what the sample rate is from the DAC. What I am trying to see is if there is a way to display the actual rate. Can we read the registers on the DAC to get this information?

Thanks

Absolutely, in fact it is very simple to do.

You will want to have the datasheet to really understand how it works. And unfortunately you must sign an NDA to get it.

If ESS eases their rules I would gladly publish some source code for you to look at. But I will need something in writing directly for ESS that says I can before I will ever do that.

Not from the distributor, but from ESS itself.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ, again thanks for your insight. I did noticed the source issue from the datasheet, but didn't worry about it since I'm happy with my spdif source and haven't bothered to implement I2S. Thanks for pointing that out.

... But I will need something in writing directly for ESS that says I can before I will ever do that. Not from the distributor, but from ESS itself.
Cheers!
Russ

I guess that doesn't apply to me since I've signed the NDA with the distributor :)

If I may continue discussing the s/w interface, I have a question: suppose you power up both DAC and uP. the DAC chip comes up with default values. Does it mean that the uP better write the volume registers before the DAC un-mutes?. Seems to me the uP needs to boot first, then poll for the i2C response, then immediately write the volume registers. The only time I've encountered this issue (default volumes) is when I forget to turn on the uP :)

The NDA is there to protect ESS, not the distributor. Please read it carefully...

Thanks, Russ.

Never trust register values, read and verify. if they are not what you expect, then you set them.

Wow!. I always trust the datasheet. Must wait to learn the hard way, I think :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.