Buffalo II - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 4th April 2010, 01:06 PM   #391
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So you confirm that there is DC.....I trust in Erno Borbely when said 2,5V DC but anyone can measure it.
The analog sections of the DAC are not powered by a 5V supply, so Erno was incorrect. I am sure he will tell you the same once he has his Buffalo. I don;t really think it is a point of contention.

Quote:
I mind will be more useful have other kind of answer, like: you can use these types of I/V without any problem or never use these other type of I/V, will be more simple & clear to everybody.
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. We are fine with people using whatever output stages they want. The IVYIII is just one we offer that is highly tuned for the Bufflao. I was only trying to correct your statement so people didn't think the only way to have DC-free output was by using a passive resistor output.

Quote:
Or use a servo DC?
Yes.

Quote:
One curiosity why IVY III have a separate single ended output?
Flexibility. It allows you to set different gain levels for balanced and single-ended outputs when using them at the same time. Also, you get slightly better DNR for SE when you sum the differential outputs.
Old 4th April 2010, 02:53 PM   #392
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
I was only trying to correct your statement so people didn't think the only way to have DC-free output was by using a passive resistor output.
Not true, I never said.

Of course that I understand that it's not good for everybody to hear that exist another way to do a passive I/V instead to buy an expensive active I/V, it's all that matter?

Last edited by merlin el mago; 4th April 2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 4th April 2010, 02:58 PM   #393
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The analog sections of the DAC are not powered by a 5V supply, so Erno was incorrect. I am sure he will tell you the same once he has his Buffalo. I don;t really think it is a point of contention.
I want' to involve Erno in the discussion, he only tell me the information "as per your own manual". Because I own his I/V ask him how change the filter for your DAC, simple that. Erno told me that I use a passive I/V resistor while he got his BII to select the filter.

Last edited by merlin el mago; 4th April 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 4th April 2010, 03:00 PM   #394
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Flexibility. It allows you to set different gain levels for balanced and single-ended outputs when using them at the same time. Also, you get slightly better DNR for SE when you sum the differential outputs.
I supposed the same, thanks to confirm.
Old 4th April 2010, 03:36 PM   #395
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
So you confirm that there is DC.....I trust in Erno Borbely when said 2,5V DC but anyone can measure it.
It would be 2.5V if AVCC could be 5V(which it cannot that is far too high and would kill the DAC).

And yes of course there is DC bias at the output of the DAC. But there is none at the output of something like IVY-III even when you don't use the BAL/SE stage. This is the really nice thing about fully differential amplifiers where you can set the output common mode voltage.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 4th April 2010, 04:28 PM   #396
diyAudio Member

Is possible Erno don't read well your own manual "Errare humanum est"

I never said that there is DC at the ouput of the IVY III, remember I own one IVY III (opamps) purchased from you and sounds very good but I want to compare with Erno Borbely I/V (discrete) that I also own, when filter optimized for your DAC.

To be honest, I mind is not a good comparison because the prices of your products & Borbely products are not in the same range and in the I/V are using different components & topologies.

Just will see.
Old 4th April 2010, 04:39 PM   #397
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just will see.
He has or will soon have one to play with. I am sure he will make something nice for it.
Old 4th April 2010, 05:32 PM   #398
diyAudio Member

Quote:
He has or will soon have one to play with. I am sure he will make something nice for it.
He said that was shipped last monday, but still got it. I'm sure he will do something nice like you do with the IVY III.
Old 4th April 2010, 08:20 PM   #399
markusA is offline markusA  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Russ or Brian?
When you use the Volumite with the B-II, is the DC bias constant @ 1.65VDC?
I.e. only the signal is attenuated?
If so, could I use the 1.65VDC as bias for my buffer? Is it stable enough?
Old 5th April 2010, 05:39 PM   #400
diyAudio Member

I just came across this tube output stage that someone is using and I was wondering if you guys might care to comment:

audio-talk :: View topic - Buffalo DAC output stage

Looks simple and effective, of course the transformer could be a different one Does it look OK or there are things that I don't see? Any input will be much appreciated.

Hide this!Advertise here!