• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just put in an order for the BII but am interested in how one would hook up the SPDIF/I2S inputs when using the dual-mono configuration? Do you just buffer the inputs and drive them to both BII boards?
In my case, I2S signal source is SDTrans192. The player has LC245A for an output buffer and source terminating resister of 33 ohm. I just connected this one output directly to two input connectors of Buffalo II DACs in a dual mono mode configuration using usual non-shielded wires.
I can play tunes of up to 352.8 kHz / 24bit, 192 kHz / 32 bit without problems.
(though clocks on Buffalo II are replaced with 96 MHz ones)

I'd rather like to know whether anyone has tried distributing one clock source to two Buffalo II DACs.

Hey all,

I've just put in an order for the BII but am interested in how one would hook up the SPDIF/I2S inputs when using the dual-mono configuration? Do you just buffer the inputs and drive them to both BII boards?

Thanks.

No need to buffer if you use I2S source as the impedance is pretty high. If your using any of our I2S sources the outputs are perfectly capable driving the load and are designed to do so.

If your using SPDIF the solution is similarly quite simple. Use one Buffalo II with normal SPIDF input. On the other leave the SPDIF switch open. Now connect D1 and GND between the DACs. This will make a single comparator drive D1 with TTL level SPDIF on both DACs. Something it can do quite easily. This works very well and is how I did some of my testing.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I promised to post a picture of my Buffalo and here it is, it is actually old now as I have taken care of some of the things that everyone would kill me for regarding arrangement and choice of parts and wiring and it is going to be placed in a nice modushop box but will take time. I promise it will be as beautiful as it sounds.

Attachments

• Buffalo-Nikola.jpg
    Buffalo-Nikola.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 995
hmmmmm, groupbuy :)

Hi Guys,

I promised to post a picture of my Buffalo and here it is, it is actually old now as I have taken care of some of the things that everyone would kill me for regarding arrangement and choice of parts and wiring and it is going to be placed in a nice modushop box but will take time. I promise it will be as beautiful as it sounds.

Great news! Any idea when it will be available?

Will the form factor be the same as the current USB module? (No additional drilling for mounting holes)

You don't have to clock divide at all if you really don't want to. :) One could reclock all data to the highest supported rate. In any case it is not something I am going to worry about much. Any device that produces one clock based on another is going to introduce some phase noise. I think the FPGA number you quote is likely dependent on he device and the technique used. The XMOS device is very definitely not an FPGA. :)

There is documentation from XMOS on I/O timing. A little poking around and you will find it.

I have been using the XMOS for a while now with some custom firmware and I am quite happy with it.

The module I have right now currently supports up to 352.8khz 32bit and the one I am currently designing will support sample rates up to 384khz 32bit. Currently I2S output is only being considered, but I will likely support SPDIF output as well but will probably need to limit that to 192khz 24bit since most receivers cannot go beyond this.

I am aiming to make it support up to 8 channels of I2S output (yes even at 384khz). I have not decided that part yet.

Is it possible to connect Left-Justified-I2S to the Buffalo II?

To say exactly, there are three PCM serial data formats,
1. Left-justified
2. Right-justified
3. I2S

ES9018 chip accepts all formats. However, a default selection of the chip is I2S and Buffalo II register setting is the same.
Therefore, when you want to connect left-justified signals, you need to set an appropriate register value on EC9018 chip. You can do this easily if you use Arduino board, for example.

Bad taste? Part time business selling Buf II for 2 360,79$

What do you think? Look at this: Buffalo II (HIREZ 32/192)og DDDAC (NOS redbook) selges

If you dont fancy translating from Norwegian, the short story is that this guy LMC has been making a part time business the last few years on assembling DIY-kits and selling them with quite a profit. 15K NOK = 2 360,79$. The DDDAC is no longer in favour with him and his diciples, but he has "modified" and sold many of them. I`ve heard of 5-tower DDDACs going for more than 2500$. At the bottom of this post you will find 3 ads for his "modified" DDDACs just from the last months posts in Norways largest hifi-community.

Now he has started buying up Buf II DACs for resale. Incorrect orientation of dip-switches - Buffalo DAC - Twisted Pear Audio Support

Is it only me thats getting provoked by somebody making a profit on TPs efforts while regular DIYs is standing in line waiting for their Buf II kits?

By the way, lots of kudos to TP for their brilliant service to the DIY-community. I love my Buf II!

Some examples of doing business with others DIY-kits:

5 tårns DDDAC 'LMC versjon'
5 tårns dddac
Slippe å stå i ordre/leverings-kø? BuffaloII dac vurderes solgt
Fem-tårns DDDAC selges - Black Gate, Mundorf, etc...

I`ve heard of 5-tower DDDACs going for more than 2500$.

Some people have plenty of money but little time I suppose. In my case, the opposite is true :D.

I think there have always been builders who make money by assembling parts into a finished product. I don't think it's a bad thing, but I can see how people could get annoyed when those parts are scarce. Mind you, it's not like this guy has an unfair advantage when it comes to buying TP gear - everyone has the same opportunity.

Just my opinion anyway, for what it's worth.

hello folks
it´s true I´ve build loads of dac´s but it´s all been on request from people I know or someone who know of me.people that trust me and cannot build themselves
the dddac´s I´ve made are far more than a dac kit with a plain psu and cost has been around 1500usd a piece complete
anyone who knows all the soldering that it takes to assemble 60 tda1543s, psu´s, spdif and usb receivers etc not to mention all the mechanical work won´t mind paying for the extensive work
it´s always an option to do it oneself
as for the Buffalo´s I´ve built,they´ve been sold to upgrade to the newer versions including the latest one where I was asked if I wanted to sell it,but the buyer on my recommendation ordered a wired4sound dac since I couldn´t commit myself to promise when the control and remote modules for the BufalloII would be available
my reason for selling this one is that I want a version with the discrete Legato
the other one of the BuffaloII I built was bought on order from a friend who can´t build himself and asked me to do it for him,well aware of my margin
I work as a securities finance trader and am not giving away my spare time for free.
If people dislike me or what I stand for in the audio community it´s ok with me
I have quite a good standing in Scandinavia and people know I act professionally and always share my experience and for the few pieces I´ve built I always guarantee their operation for as long as I practically can(which has cost me quite a lot with the overheated dddacs)
due to this fact I have a lot of "followers" that scrutinize my every decision
funny that my fellow Norwegian cannot take this up with me instead of "ratting" me out like a veasel Quisling
have a nice summer; I will
best
Leif Christensen
Drobak
Norway

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.