• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We will be supplying 100uF Nichicon Muse ES caps for the coupling caps in the Legato kits. We didn't pick film caps for the kits for two reasons: 1) they are really big and would not mount on the board anyway and 2) everyone has a different favorite (too much personal preference). So, we picked a really really good EL cap that sounds fantastic. Upgrade at will.

Last edited:
I see it this way. They are both extremely enjoyable, but definitely different.

One very cool thing about the discrete cct is you give up almost nothing in terms of DNR. It is extremely low noise.

The lack of GFB will be very appealing to many folks. Also appealing is the extremely low distortion. Now its not going to be quite as good in this regard as the IVY-III but it is very close.

My gear is not good enough to measure it, but I will have it measured.

Here is the simulation FFT. My ears tell me its pretty accurate. :)

Attachments

• fft.jpg
    fft.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 604
Russ,
Will there be any way of using the Legato together with a Buff II in dual-mono configuration without adding also a Ballsie stage?
Thanks,
Nic

Absolutely, and in fact I have to correct myself. I did some further checking after my post earlier about the same thing. THD should *not* suffer in this configuration, but I am not thinking it will be any better either.

Cheers!
Russ

Dear Russ,

good news! The reason I asked earlier was that I thought that twice the output current from a mono configured Buf2 would cause linearity issues with the transistors used.

THD is not that relevant. It does not tell the whole story. Far from it.

Regards,

Absolutely, and in fact I have to correct myself. I did some further checking after my post earlier about the same thing. THD should *not* suffer in this configuration, but I am not thinking it will be any better either.

Cheers!
Russ

Any idea about the delivery of the audio controller + femto? I'd like to order it along with a set of BII boards + other things to build a dual mono DAC/Pre. Plus would it be possible to control an OTTO + Mux combo?
That way I could use I2S from the Mux for SPDIF, Toslink & possibly AES while also adding an USB to I2S converter (a M2tech I hope to buy through the current group buy).
As a note: if the software isn't tidy enough yet, I'll finish it myself. One of the advantages of being a software engineer. Only designing those PCBs + collecting all parts is a bit too much work for my taste. Sound familiar? ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.